Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You have no internet. Now what?

Paracelse

Experiment time:

If you remember what life was like before the internet was available and easily accessible all the time, just think back for a little while and remember how you used to do stuff.

If you don’t remember, take 15 minutes (bonus points if your 15 minutes are computer and cell phone free) and think about how the lack of internet would affect your day to day life.Imagine the series of tubes got sliced and you still had to do your job.

arrow3.gifRead more...

An article that could make you think of another "day after tomorrow"

I watch a bunch of cool martial arts videos on my old VHS player !:-)

well i'd be fully at work since my work is fixing internet and network connections lol. so guess not alot of other stuff i can do.

Even though im on the internet 18 hours a day preytty much i could easily fill my time if it was gone for say 6 months?

I Could obtain world news and information from either newspapers, Teletext and or Television

I Could entertain myself via Books, DVDs, Videogames, Outdoors and Meeting with friends.

I can still purchase items from stores, anything i buy from abroad via the internet (collectible figures, Comics) i could go to my local FPI and Order them Via Phone.

Yeah i could go without the internet for quite some time. That is however not me saying i would liek too. Great article got me thinking, im not off to read a book :-D . Maybe the Hobbit :-)

I'm so old that I can easily recall life before the internet. Heck, when I went to college the university computer (there was only one) comprised the entire floor of a building! Living without all the tech stuff would be no big revelation to me.

Yeah, I'm used to all of the modern stuff as well, but I could easily adapt. The books at my library are still classified a la the dewey decimal system, my garden, my dogs, and my gym would still be there. I'd be fine, but I'd miss the convenience...and of course UM :)

Without internet I would die of hunger, my entire business is on the net :cry::cry: :cry: :P :P

The internet is quickly becoming a tool to spread delusion and hate. I personally would be happy if it all went down.

For about a minute then I would go crazy from boredom. :rofl:

I've had a computer (of one form or another) since the late 1970's...I've had the internet only since the late 1990's...

I would do just fine without it... I would miss some things - like this board... but I would adjust and return to doing things the way I used to do them... face to face...

I would feel lost.

I would fire up my neglected HAM station and communicate by packet radio with the rest of the net.

I would fire up my neglected HAM station and communicate by packet radio with the rest of the net.

You have a HAM station ??? :wacko: :wacko:

Does it work by pedaling some sort of generator like the one I had in the army ?

Edited by Paracelse

I'm kind of amused by those who say they'd watch DVDs or play video games (if the net went down). Some of us can recall a time when even VHS tapes and 'pong' didn't exist. :yes:

I'm kind of amused by those who say they'd watch DVDs or play video games (if the net went down). Some of us can recall a time when even VHS tapes and 'pong' didn't exist. :yes:

Im not told enough to remember a time without VHS, but i do remember the good old days of waiting 3 minutes before i watch summit cause some fool decided not to rewind the tape. good old days. First time i skipped chapter on a DVD BLEW my mind!

Growing up my dad didn't even wanted a tv in the house because he thought it would mess up our minds.... methink he was right somehow

You have a HAM station ??? :wacko: :wacko:

Does it work by pedaling some sort of generator like the one I had in the army ?

Only QRP stations work off the mains nowadays (the hobby there is to get a transmission all around the world with hardly enough power for a flash light). Some people like me build their own transceiver and antennas, most order it out of a catalog nowadays. The only prerequisite is to pass the operators test (comes in two types: technical for up to 100 Watts power or unlimited, test for technical is very easy). I don't know if France has a reciprocity agreement with the US and if they allow testing in English.

Edited by questionmark

Only QRP stations work off the mains nowadays (the hobby there is to get a transmission all around the world with hardly enough power for a flash light). Some people like me build their own transceiver and antennas, most order it out of a catalog nowadays. The only prerequisite is to pass the operators test (comes in two types: technical for up to 100 Watts power or unlimited, test for technical is very easy). I don't know if France has a reciprocity agreement with the US and if they allow testing in English.

Thanks I will look into it. Actually my French is rather good :P heck I speak better French (more academic that is) than a big chunk of the locals. Do you guys occasionaly use morse code still? I learned that also.

Thanks I will look into it. Actually my French is rather good :P heck I speak better French (more academic that is) than a big chunk of the locals. Do you guys occasionaly use morse code still? I learned that also.

Yes and no. When I took the test in the 70s it was still required to be able to Morse at 13 WPM, but even then it was not taken very seriously. Most don't handkey anymore using an automatic key or a computer (type the word hear the beeps). Because it is much easier to send large distances with low power using carrier interrupted Morse it is still very popular among the QRP record hunter. For a technical license it is not required.

AA9PW has a good site to practice the exam.

Edit: just checked and found out that according to the new rules Morse is not required anymore, even for the extra license.. which more or less enables you to do whatever you want within the amateur bands)

Edited by questionmark

Yes and no. When I took the test in the 70s it was still required to be able to Morse at 13 WPM, but even then it was not taken very seriously. Most don't handkey anymore using an automatic key or a computer (type the word hear the beeps). Because it is much easier to send large distances with low power using carrier interrupted Morse it is still very popular among the QRP record hunter. For a technical license it is not required.

AA9PW has a good site to practice the exam.

Edit: just checked and found out that according to the new rules Morse is not required anymore, even for the extra license.. which more or less enables you to do whatever you want within the amateur bands)

When I was 19, I was able to do 20 to 21 WPM so it wouldn't be a problem, with a little exercise and was able to pick up and type even faster than sending but it was eons ago now I'm not sure I could recognize sos if I listen to it ... just kidding thanks for all the info

I would read the newspaper, at least on weekends. I would also read more non-digital books.

But I would have to listen to the the local TV news for weather and traffic, yuck.<_< Local news has gotten so cheesy lately.

hehe gov cutt it off for two months before i'll just make sure to have alot of packs of cigs ;)