Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Bigfoot" sounds and habits

Q-C

Not much to say, but I didn't want to go off on a tangent on Sakari's "Tree Knocking" for bigfoot thread.

But I wanted to add that beaver tail cracks could pass for Bigfoot "throwing a rock" into a river or even some kind of wood knock if you were of an "everything" is bigfoot mindset. Or you just weren't familiar with the sound.

We are dealing with all kinds of bigfoot enthusiasts, their lack of bush knowledge and or their zeal make a powerful combination.

Edit to add: The "crack" can carry longer and louder than the give away "splash".

Edited by QuiteContrary

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• keninsc

• Q-C

• Stardrive

• Sakari

Not much to say, but I didn't want to go off on a tangent on Sakari's "Tree Knocking" for bigfoot thread.

But I wanted to add that beaver tail cracks could pass for Bigfoot "throwing a rock" into a river or even some kind of wood knock if you were of an "everything" is bigfoot mindset. Or you just weren't familiar with the sound.

We are dealing with all kinds of bigfoot enthusiasts, their lack of bush knowledge and or their zeal make a powerful combination.

Edit to add: The "crack" can carry longer and louder than the give away "splash".

I can see where a beaver splash and a rock being thrown will sound very similar, in fact that's hard not to see. I think I need to avoid the tree knocking thread as well. Too many egos with attitude.

I can see where a beaver splash and a rock being thrown will sound very similar, in fact that's hard not to see. I think I need to avoid the tree knocking thread as well. Too many egos with attitude.

Oh, in no way do i think Sakari would accuse me of hijacking his thread. I just thought it better to put my comment somewhere else, 'cause of the wandering ways of bigfoot threads. :)

And yes the tail crack and rock splash are similar, but to some footers (not all) it may still not register.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Oh, in no way do i think Sakari would accuse me of hijacking his thread. I just thought it better to put my comment somewhere else, 'cause of the wandering ways of bigfoot threads. :)

And yes the tail crack and rock splash are similar, but to some footers (not all) it may still not register.

Very true, they sound so similar that to a novice they could be mistaken plus, as you pointed out earlier, if they are dipped in the whole belief thing then they might add lib what it was without realizing it........or lie about it.

... if they are dipped in the whole belief thing then they might add lib what it was without realizing it........or lie about it.

I think of it as the Art of Misidentification coupled with good old fashioned Storytelling and, when based on an entire system of belief, it becomes a surprisingly powerful combination. It is classic confirmation bias. Ultimately, there is no distinction between those who believe in Bigfoot and those who make-believe in Bigfoot. The evidence is the same - fakes, misidentifications, and more often no evidence whatsoever.

At best, Bigfoot is a purely subjective experience.

For me, that only makes the phenomenon even more fascinating because Bigfoot provides valuable insights into who we are as a species. Oh, the irony...

I think of it as the Art of Misidentification coupled with good old fashioned Storytelling and, when based on an entire system of belief, it becomes a surprisingly powerful combination. It is classic confirmation bias. Ultimately, there is no distinction between those who believe in Bigfoot and those who make-believe in Bigfoot. The evidence is the same - fakes, misidentifications, and more often no evidence whatsoever.

At best, Bigfoot is a purely subjective experience.

For me, that only makes the phenomenon even more fascinating because Bigfoot provides valuable insights into who we are as a species. Oh, the irony...

Yeah, it reminds of the way some UFO types are. Yes, there are areal phenomenons that can't be explained by our current knowledge, however when they make the leap of faith to it being an alien visitation that's what put it over the edge. Many years ago I worked with a fellow who was telling people he had UFO's coming over his house every evening. This went on for some time, so I asked him if he'd mind me coming over and seeing then too. "Oh hell yeah Ken! C'mon over." So I did when darkness fell, sure enough we began to see some lights in the sky. "See there's one now. Right on time." It turned out he house was on the extreme outer loop of the Atlanta Airport and what he was seeing were commercial jets with their large lights on. You could hear the engines and when I pointed out to him it was nothing but a jet he got all p***ed and insisted it was a UFO. When I saw he was getting upset I knew it was time for me to leave.

It was nothing but his own little fantasy, but one he was so steeped in that nothing was going to change his mind about it.

It was nothing but his own little fantasy, but one he was so steeped in that nothing was going to change his mind about it.

Yeah… I have come across that kind of mindset too. It’s like they need to believe it. Makes it very difficult to separate facts from fiction when reports are purely anecdotal. The conviction displayed is often impressive but the reality is often a different story entirely…

Yeah… I have come across that kind of mindset too. It’s like they need to believe it. Makes it very difficult to separate facts from fiction when reports are purely anecdotal. The conviction displayed is often impressive but the reality is often a different story entirely…

Bingo!

Oh, in no way do i think Sakari would accuse me of hijacking his thread.

Nope, not my style at all :)

Good call on the Beaver slap.....

This last week, I thought I new quite a bit, and thought most of these things about Bif were pretty much redundant...........

The Woodpeckers, and the other bird using a stick to tree knock, those were new for me........

Than I learned that the claim of primates tree knocking is also just that, a claim...

And this is also the first I heard of a suggestion to the Beaver Tail slap.........Good Call !!!

I have heard it many times, and in a more wooded area, in a valley / mountain area, that sound is amazing.

Nope, not my style at all :)

Good call on the Beaver slap.....

This last week, I thought I new quite a bit, and thought most of these things about Bif were pretty much redundant...........

The Woodpeckers, and the other bird using a stick to tree knock, those were new for me........

Than I learned that the claim of primates tree knocking is also just that, a claim...

And this is also the first I heard of a suggestion to the Beaver Tail slap.........Good Call !!!

I have heard it many times, and in a more wooded area, in a valley / mountain area, that sound is amazing.

It can sound just like a gunshot too. First one I heard as a kid, that is what I thought.

Ooops, my bad, that falls under the bigfoot with guns thread. :P

It can sound just like a gunshot too. First one I heard as a kid, that is what I thought.

Ooops, my bad, that falls under the bigfoot with guns thread. :P

I concur - without ego I might add.

I almost jumped out my kayak a couple of summers ago when I heard one.

I concur - without ego I might add.

I almost jumped out my kayak a couple of summers ago when I heard one.

Naaaw, it's all about ego, and that was Bigfoot shooting at you. he had a woodpecker spotting for him.

A good sized bass hitting the top of the water can produce a loud splash also.

Yes,the list of bigfoot sound makers continues....

Yes,the list of bigfoot sound makers continues....

There are any number of sounds that can be mistaken for Bigfoot sounds Personally, I'm not sure what a Bigfoot would sound like if I heard it yell, assuming they are in fact real. As for all the other stuff? Who knows, apparently some can be fooled by squirrels and woodpecker activity, no doubt my Pomeranian will fool these guys as well as I take him for a walk. *sorry, still can't get over that rubbish*

Beaver tails, fish jumping, pretty much anything that makes a splashing sound can be a real probability for confusing sounds. However, I would point out that when you hear "something" rather than jump to a conclusion about what it might have been, try something radical and verify what it was you heard. If you heard it then you're right there in the present and can do your own investigation. For Heaven's Sake please, do check for squirrels banging their nuts on trees and take a bit to see if maybe you can spot a woodpecker.........however if you can't tell the difference in them from you whacking a tree with a Louisville slugger then you're pretty much screwed as far as trying to find anything. *damnit, there I go again, sorry*

The one thing I'm surprised, nay shocked, at not hearing are the common sounds, runting buck activity, snorting, pawing the ground, thrashing about with their antlers. Bucks fighting and posturing for females. Bears during the mating season, elk? Hell, I recall thinking I'd come across something once and it was two male raccoons fighting for a female in season. Talk about sounding like a melee? Not sure what was worse the fight or the conquest of the female?

Now my point is, having heard all these rather common things, some idiot with a heart filled with belief will hear them and simply assume "That's a Squatch." because......well......he or she is an idiot who's watch that show too much.

Next I suppose we'll see Elmer Fudd telling us to "Be vwey quiet, I'm hunting Bigfgoots. Wook! I hear him up in the twees."

*Crap, there I go again. Time to leave*

There are any number of sounds that can be mistaken for Bigfoot sounds Personally, I'm not sure what a Bigfoot would sound like if I heard it yell, assuming they are in fact real. As for all the other stuff? Who knows, apparently some can be fooled by squirrels and woodpecker activity, no doubt my Pomeranian will fool these guys as well as I take him for a walk. *sorry, still can't get over that rubbish*

Beaver tails, fish jumping, pretty much anything that makes a splashing sound can be a real probability for confusing sounds. However, I would point out that when you hear "something" rather than jump to a conclusion about what it might have been, try something radical and verify what it was you heard. If you heard it then you're right there in the present and can do your own investigation. For Heaven's Sake please, do check for squirrels banging their nuts on trees and take a bit to see if maybe you can spot a woodpecker.........however if you can't tell the difference in them from you whacking a tree with a Louisville slugger then you're pretty much screwed as far as trying to find anything. *damnit, there I go again, sorry*

The one thing I'm surprised, nay shocked, at not hearing are the common sounds, runting buck activity, snorting, pawing the ground, thrashing about with their antlers. Bucks fighting and posturing for females. Bears during the mating season, elk? Hell, I recall thinking I'd come across something once and it was two male raccoons fighting for a female in season. Talk about sounding like a melee? Not sure what was worse the fight or the conquest of the female?

Now my point is, having heard all these rather common things, some idiot with a heart filled with belief will hear them and simply assume "That's a Squatch." because......well......he or she is an idiot who's watch that show too much.

Next I suppose we'll see Elmer Fudd telling us to "Be vwey quiet, I'm hunting Bigfgoots. Wook! I hear him up in the twees."

*Crap, there I go again. Time to leave*

Instead of flame baiting, maybe you should spend some time looking for that evidence that Primates do

tree knock......

Or maybe just admit you actually took some Bigfoot experts opinion, and attempted to spew it out as truth......

Nothing personal, just making a point you might not be as high and mighty as you think......

I am not a mod, but I am going to ask you as a favor to please try to stop stirring up the pot here......You can have very good replies, and I agree with most of them, thing is, your arrogant ones ruin anything that is credible.......And if you are not happy with a discussion in one thread, you do not need to follow the people to another just to mock them about it......As in above...

Just not cool :no:

Kind of childish :yes:

Anyway, yet another topic gone off topic, let's go back on topic........

So what did go beep on that long ago night? I turned to the second step in the scientific method and consulted field guides, range maps, and more knowledgeable naturalists. Quite likely, I’d heard a common nighthawk, from the family Caprimulgidae or goatsuckers, a group of wide-mouth, insect-eating birds. Elaborately camouflaged, and mainly active at dusk or night, common nighthawks are rarely seen but often heard due to a non-vocal, “boom” sound described by the naturalist Daniel Mathews as a “...terrific, raspy, farting noise” that’s produced when the birds vibrate their primary feathers. Those unnerving crashes and booms I’d heard had been done for courtship, with the male nighthawk soaring high into the air, circling over an intended nest, and then swooping out of the sky until he lands with a near crash, puffs out his throat, spreads his tail feathers and calls out to his mate, who retains a remarkable composure throughout this uproar. The alarm clock-like beeps, in contrast, was the relatively quiet sound nighthawks make during feeding.

Above is from :

Things that go beep in the night

On the beauty of significant questions

http://www.lablit.com/article/674

Edited by Sakari

Not flame baiting at all, I'm simply pointing to the absurdity of your basic premiss. Christ it was you and Rafterman who kept that insane thread on the Bigfoot drinking water going for a mind numbing sixteen pages, talk both sides of whatever anyone said. You sounded like two old women solving the world's problems over tea and short bread cookies. First it was a fake, then it had possibilities, then it could have been this or that, then it was a fake again and the cycle started all over again, honestly a lesser man would have jumped out a window reading that drivel.

Hey, if you don't like the static you catch for posting such crap, then maybe you should stop posting it. This isn't a social network, it's a discussion forum. My god man get your head out and read some of your own postings. Oh wait, sorry I'm a newbie who isn't going to make friends here. I am not here to make friends, I'm hear to exchange thoughts and ideas with reasonable people. Trouble is I'm finding it hard to do when the three or four of you get together and simply take over the thread with you nonsensical stuff.

You say "nothing personal" when it is just that, personal. You ask me not to stir the pot when you have been doing just that for ever how long you've been here. And now, I'm childish. I tell and show you how ridiculous your postings are and I'm childish for doing it. *rolls eyes*

Tell you what, I'll use the ignore feature on you if will do the same for me. Sadly, you do have a keen mind and do seem to possess some actual knowledge however the BS factor associated with you completely outweighs any insights worth culling through to find amid all the extraneous stuff. So with that, I bid you farewell.

:rolleyes:

Nevermind.....used the " report " button......

Tired of it.

Edited by Sakari

Imho, discussing anything bigfoot can be a difficult exercise because there are just soooo many variables you deal with at one time in just one thread.

So many angles posters approach the subject from:

--the knowledgeable footer/skeptic

--the novice footer/skeptic

--the gullible

--the critical thinker

--the huckster

--the true believer

--the romantic dreamer and defender of all things cryptoid

--the realist

--etc

From my perspective, not many footers even care or consider real world animal sounds and behaviors, nor care how much of this bigfoot stuff is drummed up (pun intended) or misidentification or wishful thinking. Nor do they allow mainstream scientists to evaluate it.

So, I do believe that for all the alleged bf sounds and behaviors, real world explanations are not only applicable but all there is to choose from, because for me and from my angle, I hold to such minute probability the creature even exists.

Again, from my perspective, if there is no bigfoot there are no bigfoot behaviors - leaving only human generated ones and misidentifications.

Besides, no one can tell from a wood knock recording if it is a human or a bigfoot. And how many mainstream nonfooter scientists get to evaluate this stuff first hand. It is kept under lock and key, only allowed out to footer "scientists" to evaluate.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Sort of like the splash in the water, was it a rock thrown by a Bigfoot or was it a beaver slapping the water or a bass jumping? A believer will go with the Bigfoot alternative most every time. Truth is unless you see what made the splash to begin with it's all speculation. Of course it could have been an old coke bottle thrown out of a commercial airplane like in that old movie, "The Gods must be crazy".

Imho, discussing anything bigfoot can be a difficult exercise because there are just soooo many variables you deal with at one time in just one thread.

So many angles posters approach the subject from:

--the knowledgeable footer/skeptic

--the novice footer/skeptic

--the gullible

--the critical thinker

--the huckster

--the true believer

--the romantic dreamer and defender of all things cryptoid

--the realist

--etc

Your list is pretty cool. I like it. But to me it's sub-catagory labels for:

-- Skeptic

-- Believer

-- Knower

Meaning, any combination of attributes you listed can be sub-catagorized with the main three.

But I will conceded that a skeptic that is a "romantic dreamer and defender of all things cryptid" is most unlikely. :lol:

-- Skeptic

-- Believer

-- Knower

Meaning, any combination of attributes you listed can be sub-catagorized with the main three.

But I will conceded that a skeptic that is a "romantic dreamer and defender of all things cryptid" is most unlikely. :lol:

Yes, I agree those are the major three. But from my personal experience the lines sometimes become blurred even between the major three categories, depending on the subject matter at hand. Add also because it is a myth (or shall we say undocumented creature) discussions and debates can get pretty confusing, sometimes. At least for my aged brain. :)

Yes, I agree those are the major three. But from my personal experience the lines sometimes become blurred even between the major three categories, depending on the subject matter at hand. Add also because it is a myth (or shall we say undocumented creature) discussions and debates can get pretty confusing, sometimes. At least for my aged brain. :)

Yeah, they get all crossed up, overlapped, and blurred for sure. The knowers may be the exception. Knowers are the 100% ers. They either know 100% it is not real or 100% that it is real. So if you're a 100%' er you can't be a skeptic nor a believer. Can't have it both ways if you're a knower. The hairy wildman is a myth yes, but a myth with a long history that people still report to this day.

Tell me about it, I remember when the statue of liberty was still a baby. :lol:

Yeah, they get all crossed up, overlapped, and blurred for sure. The knowers may be the exception. Knowers are the 100% ers. They either know 100% it is not real or 100% that it is real. So if you're a 100%' er you can't be a skeptic nor a believer. Can't have it both ways if you're a knower. The hairy wildman is a myth yes, but a myth with a long history that people still report to this day.

Tell me about it, I remember when the statue of liberty was still a baby. :lol:

I mean, just to add to the confusion, I personally knew a "knower", an eyewitness, who later after investigating a bit further into the subject admitted he wasn't so much of a "knower" any more, though had once been a very zealot believer.

I've seen mods on bf sites who are self-proclaimed "knowers", even well-known ones, begin to crumble a bit and admit "Well, maybe...." So those are the blurring lines I refer to as well that add spice to discussions.

-- Skeptic

-- Believer

-- Knower

I think that Liars should probably have a mention there somewhere too, as there are some of those. That's where QC's list gets it right. It includes hucksters, many of whom could care less either way so long as they make some money.