Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need a new book to read

I Am Not Resisting

I just finshed One Second After by William Forstchen and I enjoyed the premise of the story, but the delivery was just wrong. Anyways, I guess it's kind of an 'End of the World' thriller. Basically about nuclear explosions above the US that send out an EMP pulse that shuts down all power, electrical, etc systems. Then life starts reverting back to over a hundred years ago and there is terror and suspense.

Can anyone recommend a good book with this 'end of the world' senario? No alien books, please. I definitely love anything that involves natural disasters, plagues, possible nuclear war and of course, zombies.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Am Not Resisting

• Mentalcase

• buckskin scout

• Simbi Laveau

Not sure about an end of the world thriller, but one of my favorites is "The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart". It's not for everybody though... pretty disgusting and disturbing in some places, but it kept me entertained the whole way through. Been a while since a book did that for me.

Mary Shelley's "The Last Man" is about the apocolypse.

Brave New World was great! I just got through with World War Z (zombies). It actually reads like a UN report though, instead of your typical novel.

Brave New World was great! I just got through with World War Z (zombies). It actually reads like a UN report though, instead of your typical novel.

World War Z was a wonderful read, so much so that I read it twice.

Try this.

1 ULYSSES by James Joyce

2 THE GREAT GATSBY by F. Scott Fitzgerald

3 A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN by James Joyce

4 LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov

5 BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley

6 THE SOUND AND THE FURY by William Faulkner

7 CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller

8 DARKNESS AT NOON by Arthur Koestler

9 SONS AND LOVERS by D.H. Lawrence

10 THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck

I hope you will find one suitable book .

I have read most of these in high school and while they are good reads, they don't tickle the fancy I seek now.

I'm mainly looking for modern, end of the world/civilization books. Thanks though!!

Pretty typical book for this genre and I'm going to bet you've read it. The Stand, by Stephen King. If you haven't read it, drop what you are doing and go get a nice hard copy. Unless of course, you have one of those nifty kindles. ^_^

The Road is another great novel. The movie was well written as well!! Can't go wrong with a book which won the Pulitzer Prize!!

World War Z was a wonderful read, so much so that I read it twice.

If you like zombie stuff, give Day by Day Armageddon a try.

It's written as a series of journal entries by a survivor of the zombie apocalypse.

I have definitely read The Stand, wonderful book as well! I haven't read the others that were suggested since the last time I posted so I may have to look into those! Thanks everyone!

The Gideon books by Lincoln and Child.The second one just came out.

Try Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen.... it echoes Silence of the Lambs but is way more diabolical.

Once, Special Agent Smoky Barrett hunted serial killers for the FBI. She was one of the bestuntil a madman terrorized her family, killed her husband and daughter, and left her face scarred and her soul brutalized. Turning the tables on the killer, Smoky shot him deadbut her life was shattered forever.

Now Smoky dreams about picking up her weapon again. She dreams about placing the cold steel between her lips and pulling the trigger one last time. Because for a woman whos lost everything, what is there left to lose?

Shes about to find out.

Edited by DBunker

A great apocolypse-type book is Without Warning by John Birmingham. Its about a large energy bubble that just appears, well, without warning over the United States. Hawaii, Alaska, and a little bit of Seattle is pretty much all that is left. The people left in these areas must try to rebuild America and there is a lot of other action and stories that happen on the side. There is a sequel called After America if you do decide to read it, which I highly recommend.

• 1 month later...

I just finshed One Second After by William Forstchen and I enjoyed the premise of the story, but the delivery was just wrong. Anyways, I guess it's kind of an 'End of the World' thriller. Basically about nuclear explosions above the US that send out an EMP pulse that shuts down all power, electrical, etc systems. Then life starts reverting back to over a hundred years ago and there is terror and suspense.

Can anyone recommend a good book with this 'end of the world' senario? No alien books, please. I definitely love anything that involves natural disasters, plagues, possible nuclear war and of course, zombies.

Try Z for Zachariah. I first read the book in English Lit class 30 years ago. It left an impression that has not diminished with the years.The following is a synopsis from Wikipedia.

Z for Zachariah is a post-apocalyptic science-fiction novel by Robert C. O'Brien that was published posthumously in 1974. The name Robert C. O'Brien was the pseudonym used by Robert Leslie Conly. After the author's death in 1973, his wife Sally M. Conly and daughter Jane Leslie Conly completed the book guided by his notes.[1] Set in the Midwestern USA, the story is in the form of a diary written from the first-person perspective of sixteen-year-old Ann Burden, who has survived a nuclear war and nerve gas through living in a small valley with a self-contained weather system.