Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why I Stay

markdohle

Why I stay

People sometimes wonder why Catholics stay in the fold after so many scandals have been committed lately. The pedophiles cover up being the most recent. Well why not ask United States citizens, why they remain Americans citizens when the corruption of our politicians and government is common knowledge? Why do people still believe in the family, when in fact a great deal of harm is often done in family situations?

Perhaps it is because scandals are not allowed to take away from the purpose of the above very human institutions. I will focus on why I remain in the Church. People don’t stay because they overlook the evils done by the church. Those who follow any faith with a heart hungry for God and truth stay because they receive a kind of proof. Their faith simply ‘works’, they receive a response when they search for God. I will not allow the failures of others to drive me away from a path that I see and experience as one of truth. Human weakness and yes evilness is a given. I see it in myself and don’t know how I would react, if a great deal of power were given to me. Perhaps no one of us does. The sacraments, liturgy, devotions and my reading of scriptures are healing realities in my life and in the life of many Catholics. So why leave? The more I learn of my own inner struggles has led me to not be shocked at the failures of others. Though I can be saddened and angered over the pain such failures cause.

Many do leave and I understand that. For some it may be needed. For many however it is based on a lack of understanding on how broken we are as a species. In leaving they are cutting themselves off from a deep rich tradition, that many millions have found healing and life giving. The anger last, so in the end their relationship with the church is still deep, painful and life consuming for many.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markdohle

• Paranoid Android

• keven3

• Englishgent

Top Posters In This Topic

Commenting on the final paragraph of the OP, I kind of doubt the faithful would abandon if it was still working for them. Maybe because it has since stopped working they can easily be spurred to leave through the various scandals which act as the catalysts for them to finally disassociate. If so hopefully they move on and find what will work for them. I am surprised to not hear reform and making other changes by working from inside as reasons to remain in the fold but would the church even be responsive?

Not being of a religous mind I dont know, but dont those who leave the Catholic Church continue with their religion but in a different church such as Church of England? Maybe it's just the association with the Catholic Church that they are running away from rather than religion itself..

Well said.

Keven

Thank you Keven.

peace

mark

Amen Mark I so needed to hear that!:innocent:

Thank you, love that your here my friend.

Peace

Mark

Commenting on the final paragraph of the OP, I kind of doubt the faithful would abandon if it was still working for them. Maybe because it has since stopped working they can easily be spurred to leave through the various scandals which act as the catalysts for them to finally disassociate. If so hopefully they move on and find what will work for them. I am surprised to not hear reform and making other changes by working from inside as reasons to remain in the fold but would the church even be responsive?

Perhaps, however not understanding one's faith on a deep level, or our own brokenness, can lead to discouragment and eventually to leaving the church. The church is responsive, but at times the presure has to build up. Often those in charge forget the central message, which leads to scandal.

Peace

Mark

Not being of a religous mind I dont know, but dont those who leave the Catholic Church continue with their religion but in a different church such as Church of England? Maybe it's just the association with the Catholic Church that they are running away from rather than religion itself..

Yes I think many do, well I hope that they do.

peace

mark

It depends on where you live. I know that there are ex-Church of England members IN ENGLAND who have joined back with the Catholic Church because of their views on female-ordination. But the Church of England in Australia (Anglican Church) is still very much against female ordination, so people aren't really interested (yet) in changing denominations.

Just thought I'd share :)

Edited by Paranoid Android