Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sweden adopts gender-neutral pronoun 'hen'

glorybebe

Finding a way to balance inequality between men and women has long been on many countries' agendas, but Sweden has taken it to a new level: it has taken gender out of everyday language.

The Nordic country officially added the gender-neutral pronoun "hen" to the online version of its National Encyclopedia earlier this month, Slate reports.

The new entry defines the Swedish word "hen" (pronounced like the bird) as a pronoun to be used instead of "he" and "she".

link

Seriously? This is going too far. Absolutely silly IMO.:blink:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• TheBanana

• FLOMBIE

• and-then

Top Posters In This Topic

What must it be like to live in such a place? It's an entire country that became a social experiment.

I doubt it will make any real difference. I could say the same about the articles. German has three, while English has only one. Does it make much of a difference besides simplicity? No.

Besides, life in Sweden is very comfortable.

A hen reminds me of a famale chicken. Doesn't sound as neutral as it should to me.

i think every language should have a gender neutral pronoun, as some people dont feel like either gender and its easier for them if a gender neutral pronoun is accepted, as he or she wouldnt be correct, and it isnt polite.

i think every language should have a gender neutral pronoun, as some people dont feel like either gender and its easier for them if a gender neutral pronoun is accepted, as he or she wouldnt be correct, and it isnt polite.

Actress has become actor, authoress has become author, you are no longer a waitress or waiter you are a server. What is wrong with being feminine? Politically correctness is getting our of hand.

im confused....theres nothing wrong with being feminine, or being masculine.....nothing wrong with using he or she, its just that there should be a third option other than it (which sounds rude cause you refer to objects as it)

I'm proud to be a woman, I don't want to be in the same category as men.

I don't care one way or the other.