Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the biggest killer of man?

CommunitarianKevin

Biggest Killer  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is responsible for the most deaths of all times?

• Religion
    • Human Nature
    • Natural Disasters
    • Disease
    • Individuals (Dictators, War Lords, Serial Killers, ect with no apparent religious motivation)
    • Man made inventions (Weapons, Landmines, Drugs, ect
    • Other
    • I selected more than one option. (Please Explain)

I have often heard the claim that religion is the biggest killer of all times. What do you think it is? I made a poll for fun but this is intended to be more of a discussion.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• CommunitarianKevin

• Paranoid Android

• Sensible Logic

Sorry I did not intend for it to be a public poll but I cannot figure out how to edit it.

I have often heard the claim that religion is the biggest killer of all times. What do you think it is? I made a poll for fun but this is intended to be more of a discussion.

No doubt that religion has accounted for a massive number of deaths. But I think that human nature itself, the lusts and pride and anger lead us to slay far more than arguments over who's god is the "right" one. Think of all the deaths from interpersonal issues down the millennia. Ever since Cain got p***ed at Abel we've been whacking each other for the most mindless of reasons. Sure, it got more horrific and memorable when it got organized by religions but those are still dwarfed by the day to day tally. JMO

I voted religion, human nature, and individuals, for all 3 point to the same thing. Human animals. Mankind created a fantasy book to control people. It was human nature to do so, for people individually might decide to be more accepting of others, the majority will want to control others on a personal scale. So really, what is the biggest killer of man? It is man.

Humans are animals, and are thus barbaric.

Religion is an aspect of man made inventions, human nature and individuals. So it's obviously religion.

I voted human nature and religion, although they're similar they are not entirely the same. Religions may come from men (and or women) it is still feature whereas human nature is inherent

Disease still has the #1 spot.

Heh, Lilly, why is it whenever I see you on here, I hear the Lassie tune in my head? I think you're infecting me :lol:

Mosquitos.

Agreed. They are definitely responsible for more deaths than anything else.

PS,,,,,,Noahs fault.,,,,he should have squished those two mosqiotos when he had the chance lol :)

Man.

Short but a good answer.. I would say man is his and her own worst enemy

You look at poverty, disease, religion , wars..weapons...greed, power hungry.... You name it...MAN is responsible yes.gif

Today disease (including heart disease etc) and epidemics remain the biggest killer. Accidents is the second biggest and suicide is the third. These are all world wide figures. This doesnt suprise me, because it reflects australian experience. Many people dont realise that, in men under 40, and for all australians between 15 and 24, suicide is the biggest cause of death among australians. Men are more likely to suicide than women.

Not suprisingly this reflects my personal experience in life. I know more people who have died of diseases than anything else (not unexpectedly when i know a lot of old people) But i know more people who have commited suicide than have died from any cause other than disease (not suprising as i know a lot of young people) and next would be peole dieng in accidents; fromm motor vehicle accidents to work related ones, like the bloke who fell off our school roof right in front of of me, hit his head on landing and eventually died from a blood clot, after appearing to recover from the initial injury.

Edited by Mr Walker

In my opinion, I think man could be tied in with religion; man believes in religion, man either abuses it as an excuse or is misguided by it to harm others (of course by modern and past extremists, not saying all religious people are harmful). I think disease is the greatest killer; what would be worse, if the world had no murderers or disease? I think it could be close, world wars, dark ages etc. or cancer, aids etc. I vote disease, maybe i'm too ignorant to want to believe that man is bad.

*Oh, and by man, I meant the poll option of "indiviuals".

Edited by Elrico

Agreed. They are definitely responsible for more deaths than anything else.

PS,,,,,,Noahs fault.,,,,he should have squished those two mosqiotos when he had the chance lol :)

Technically it's that little worm, Masquitos get a bad rap, it's not their fault.

Not counting disease. Avoidable causes of death are mostly perpetrated by man indirectly or directly. Not just for man himself either. For just about every other living thing on earth aswell.

Actually, I reckon old age is the biggest killer lol :)

Actually, I reckon old age is the biggest killer lol :)

No that's just boredom followed by stress lol

A lot of different opinions. I am glad to see that. But that being said...disease is the winner by far.

Smallpox killed 300-500 million people just in the 20th century alone. 60 million is the estimate in the 18th century and 80-95% of the Native Americans were killed by smallpox.

The Spanish Flu killed 50-100 million people in just 2 years.

Black Death killed 75 million.

Malaria kills 2 million a year since 1600.

AIDS has killed 25 million world wide.

Typhus killed 3 million in 4 years.

There is no contest here...

I chose other because about 56 million people die each year from old age

I chose other because about 56 million people die each year from old age

I guess next time I will specify "deaths no from old age..." This is why you need to explain every single little thing to people. You expect that people can infer things...nope

I guess next time I will specify "deaths no from old age..." This is why you need to explain every single little thing to people. You expect that people can infer things...nope

I was taught,"Never infer." LOL.

Statistics 101, Flinders University, South Australia, 1969.

Edited by Mr Walker