Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I just want a purpose in life!

SereneScene

Maybe I am thinking too much, maybe its just my ego but I feel like a need a reason to be happy in life, I need a purpose, I often think about what to do with my life, why keep on, whats the point, I just feel like I dont have a supreme goal in life, I often start thinking about what will become of my life and I start to get depressed because I just dont want to have a "standard" life, not saying I need to have a super exciting life filled with money or fame, I just want a purpose, sonething to put my energy towards, I feel like I am at a standstill in life with no clear path...

Im sure im not the only one though.

There's 2 of us here now.

Preaching to the choir, man. I've always wanted to become fitter to join the army, but I lack the self discipline required to commit to exercising. At this very moment i'm putting off homework due in two days to watch Hot Rod; i'll do the homework... eventually, and finish it the day before it's due at one in the morning.

Maybe I am thinking too much, maybe its just my ego but I feel like a need a reason to be happy in life, I need a purpose, I often think about what to do with my life, why keep on, whats the point, I just feel like I dont have a supreme goal in life, I often start thinking about what will become of my life and I start to get depressed because I just dont want to have a "standard" life, not saying I need to have a super exciting life filled with money or fame, I just want a purpose, sonething to put my energy towards, I feel like I am at a standstill in life with no clear path...

Im sure im not the only one though.

Well friend you have to get up,get out and look for it,because it wont come looking for you.You only have 1 shot at life,and you can be happy without money,I aint got a bean but I am happy because I'm breathing,and the cemetaries are full of people who would gladly swap places.Find something interesting and go for it.Cheers

Everyone's purpose in life is to become the best person they can possibly be. Like others have said, find something you enjoy doing and go for it. In all honesty though, make sure you can make a living at it though.

Now, I didn't care about money until I had children, at that point I realized I needed to start caring. Fortunately, I hit a period of economic growth and began to invest what little I had. When the crash of 2007 hit I lost quite a bit, but by then I understood the nature of 'the game'. I've now recovered and have more than I did before. While I'm certainly not rich, I've been able to send both of my kids to college and can take care of myself. It's very important to be able to take care of oneself and ones family. Life isn't going to become any easier as you get older, get going an find yourself a place where you can grow and become successful.

Feeling lack of purpose or meaning in life is a strong sign you have talents and capacities, latent within you, well beyond what you have hitherto expressed in the world.

I used to be like that, wanting a purpose, one thing that could be associated with me, and achievement in a specific area, not necessarily outside recognition, but just something of my own....but i'm the kind of fella who throws himself into something, at the expense of everything else, then when i've done it I have to go and find something else....it was the same with hobbies, work etc...from the age of 17 to about 25 I went through about 20 jobs, and more hobbies then I could count, I was getting annoyed though because I still hadn't found that one purpose....then it dawned on me, I had found a purpose, i'd found exactly what I enjoy doing, and i'd always been doing it...just experiencing life, in as many different ways as possible..

I just pictured life as a movie script layed out in front of me..and like any good movie the main character is always at the forefront of all the experiences, and able to turn his/her hand to most things...I carried on enjoying life and learning new things ever since, and as soon as i've learnt it, I leave it to one side so I can go back to it whenever I like and move onto the next thing...

We're not all cut out for one specific thing...some people need the whole package to appreciate everything within that package ;)

• Like 1

Well, there's only one person who can make that happen... YOU!

Well Kev my friend, I myself pondered this question for years.

Thankfully I have found Zen which after study and mediation have found very convincing answers within myself.

Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help, you are free.

I shall leave you with this my friend.

"A man can walk for infinity to one day look at his feet and realize he never left home"

Keep safe my friend.

Regards,

Me :)

Edited by The Id3al Experience

Everyone feels like they need a purpose in life. Once you look beyond that and find the pieces of life that make you happy, you can be whole. We all feel the need to take action in something restlessly. If you find something to dredge yourself into you will find your purpose; Just find something that makes you whole. It could be anything: music, gardening, collecting, reading, writing, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever is your happiness, where-ever or in what form you find it, is up to you. I don't think there's more purpose to life than living it, it's a fleeting moment in space and we don't know whether we come back again or vanish into nothingless or go into another plane. Or some of us may know. But does that matter? What matters, is what you do with the life you've been given. Such a cliché but it's true. It's up to you.

Whether or not there's another life, I wanna live a life which leaves a happier trail to this world. And I wanna live it happily. For that, there's inner happiness to which you dont need anyone else. Apply yourself, try new things, search for good feelings and share them. Find your little hobbies, what kicks your balls. I'm more into trying out meditation and gym these days, though I doubt I'll be leaving computer permanently, sadly enough. It's such a good place to thought-trade, even though you may fail to convey much through them without enough applying of yourself.

Where are you looking to find a purpose? Get out there & live. Expose yourself to as much as you can, different cultures, different ways of thinking, new environments, travel, do things you've never done before, learn a new language, whatever you can think of. Expand your vistas, discover some new interests, I'll bet you'll find your purpose and have a blast doing it.

I saw this on pinterest yesterday and found it appropriate for this thread. This might be paraphrasing too.

"You cannot find the meaning of life you have to create it."

• Like 1

Here, here, Kev007. There are a lot of truths posted here. I could have written your post exactly word-for-word about myself. I have, at times, prayed for death but it runs from me for some reason. Now I am looking into find inner peace and studying the Tao. I should take my own advice but there was a quote from one of Tom Hanks' movies called "Joe Vs. the Volcano" where Tom told Megan Ryan that "if it comes to the choice of either killing yourself or doing the thing that you afraid of doing, then why not take the leap and do the thing that you are afraid of doing?". I remembered that one line ever since and it spoke to me. Watch very carefully because enlightenment can come to you subtly or verbosly and in any form.

Kev, only a lucky few born with a purpose and have it come to them, the rest of us poor smucks have to find it on our own.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still looking for mine.

Here, here, Kev007. There are a lot of truths posted here. I could have written your post exactly word-for-word about myself. I have, at times, prayed for death but it runs from me for some reason. Now I am looking into find inner peace and studying the Tao. I should take my own advice but there was a quote from one of Tom Hanks' movies called "Joe Vs. the Volcano" where Tom told Megan Ryan that "if it comes to the choice of either killing yourself or doing the thing that you afraid of doing, then why not take the leap and do the thing that you are afraid of doing?". I remembered that one line ever since and it spoke to me. Watch very carefully because enlightenment can come to you subtly or verbosly and in any form.

Okay, I had this gif on paste already, but dammit if it doesn't sum up how I feel about your quote.

2224977_o.gif

Our purpose in life is that we are higher beings in the making, the angels have intelligence but don't have free will and they can't mate, the animals can mate but they don't have intelligence. Human's on the other hand, can mate, have intelligence, have free will, but die! so I believe according to my religion Islam, our purpose here is to spiritually advance and if we live a righteous life we will enter paradise and become a new creation. The other creation of God called the Jinn's where the story of Genie in the lamp originates from, are made of smokeless fire and invisible to us but exist amongst us and they too have free will, the possessions you often hear of are caused by some bad Jin's which is why some say when you go near a garbage filled area to hold your pinky finger inside your hand covered so Jinn doesn't get an opportunity to enter through it to possess it.

I'm going off subject but there was a story of a Jinn who can be seen by humans who appeared to a man in human form but couldn't hide one thing that this Jinn lady cannot hide which was her hoof like feet which made sound like a walking horse which scared away the man who fell in love with her.

Edited by ozman

Everyone feels like they need a purpose in life. Once you look beyond that and find the pieces of life that make you happy, you can be whole. We all feel the need to take action in something restlessly. If you find something to dredge yourself into you will find your purpose; Just find something that makes you whole. It could be anything: music, gardening, collecting, reading, writing, etc.

Isn't it all the same? Maybe the whole point is to find the way to be happy, once you're happy I think purpose would be irrelevant. Either you need one or the other but I can't see why anyone would need both.

I saw this on pinterest yesterday and found it appropriate for this thread. This might be paraphrasing too.

"You cannot find the meaning of life you have to create it."

I could not agree more. I created my purpose in life...he is in my pic...