Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apollo 18 ?

spud the mackem

I've just watched a movie called "Apollo 18",and at the end it gives a website address, www.lunartruth.com, so being curious I went there,its interesting if anyone has time..I know there was no Apollo 18,but a few questions need answering,cheers.....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• spud the mackem

• Czero 101

• S2F

Apollo 18, 19 and 20 never took off :innocent:

I know that man,my last post said that, I said that I just watched a movie called Apollo 18,this was a MOVIE, not reality,but the website is real...

Maybe you could tell us what questions you have that need answering...?

Btw... that website won't load for me.

Cz

Edited by Czero 101

Wouldn't load for me either. Bar says about:blank.

So, you went to the movies, and saw Apollo 18. And you stayed until the end, watched the credits, and then decided to go to www.lunartruth.com to discover, well, the truth.

But, when you typed in the url you got…nothing. Is this part of a conspiracy? Has the site been removed? Is it a plot to generate lots of buzz for the movie? Or did someone forget to put up the site before the movie was released?

Well, if you go to www.alexa.com and type in www.lunartruth.com you’ll see this site hasn’t ever existed. Put in any other site, and you’ll get all kinds of data (including a relative measure of traffic), plus see how long it’s been in existence.

Link

Sounds like viral advertising to me.

Link

Sounds like viral advertising to me.

No I did not go to the movies,I got it from a movie dvd and the site was ok and opened for me...I cant tell you more than that sorry...

No I did not go to the movies,I got it from a movie dvd and the site was ok and opened for me...I cant tell you more than that sorry...

Well... according to this Trivia entry from IMDb.com:

The prologue text at the beginning of the movie states that the documented footage of the secret Apollo 18 mission was uploaded to the website "www.lunartruth.com". If you type that address into your browser, it redirects you to "www.lunartruth.org" and it displays a page which states that "This website was forcibly censored. It's contents can be seen in the film. DISCOVER THE TRUTH." Also on that page, very well-hidden, is a small white dot that, if clicked on, will send you to the website missioncontrolblog.org - a mock website which was created to "Uncover the truth about the Apollo missions".

None of the the websites listed above seem to exist now, but it sounds like they were just spoof sites to begin with.

Interesting (or maybe irrelevant) that it was apparently mentioned at the beginning of the movie, not the end as the OP suggested.

I know there was no Apollo 18,but a few questions need answering,cheers.....

Any chance we're going to get to those questions you say need answering anytime soon...?

Cz

Why do people have to be mean??

I think it was a pretty bad movie but the story is very interesting. I read the website after the movie. It makes you think. I don't know the historical facts about the US and Russian's space program working together during the cold war. If they did, there would have to be a very good reason.

I think it was a pretty bad movie but the story is very interesting. I read the website after the movie. It makes you think. I don't know the historical facts about the US and Russian's space program working together during the cold war. If they did, there would have to be a very good reason.

Who's being mean? I see nothing in this thread that even begins to rise to the level of meanness.

Is asking a question considered mean now?

There was some - limited - cooperation between the two space agencies in the later days of the cold war... Most specifically during the Apollo-Soyuez (sp) missions... Also there was undoubtedly some sharing of data and general info between individual scientists and engineers, but little on a 'departmental' scale... But during the 50's and 60's the two agencies were basically locked in a massive game of one-upmanship... which actually caused each organisation to achieve much more than they would have if they had 'co-operated' IMO...

But during the 50's and 60's the two agencies were basically locked in a massive game of one-upmanship... which actually caused each organisation to achieve much more than they would have if they had 'co-operated' IMO...

Yeah, nothing like a little competition to foster excellence. ;)

Yeah, nothing like a little competition to foster excellence. ;)

Indded. And now what do they have to do...? Hitch a ride on Soyuz when they can.

I had a look at lunar truth as well, and the whole site reeked of viral advertising, like the site put up for the 2012 movie (forget the site atm, sorry). Most likely just wanted to get the movie lots of hype ;)

They did, and there were multiple reasons for doing so.

You can look at the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, which was the first joint US/Soviet space flight, which launched in the middle of the cold war (July, 1975) and featured a docking between ASTP's Apollo CM and Soyuz 19.

200px-Portrait_of_ASTP_crews.jpg

It was gereat fun, and stood as a symbol of detente between the USSR and US, and as a symbol of the end of the space race. Watching Alexei Leonov and Tom Stafford embrace on orbit was a moving moment, and a precursor of what we saw in the Shuttle-MIR program, and of course, in the ISS Program.

Of course, the reality of US -Russian or US-Soviet space cooperation was, and is, alot more beneficial and valuable than anything portrayed in a fictional horror story about spaceflight, and silliness.

Before you mis-interpret this as being another example of people's meanness, how about those questions you've mentioned, and which need to be answered.

That's what we're about here: Answering peoples questions and addressing their doubts.

:tu:

Edited by MID

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice story, however when you launch things that are big enough to reach the moon they tend to be visible for a very long distance. Even if you can find somewhere secluded you have to transport your rocket there which is again huge, then assemble it.

I really don't think this would have happened, the infrastructure and man power to hide such an assembly, launch then deconstruction of launch site would have been huge. I think there would have been lots of witnesses. Too many to silence.

Would have been easier to have launched publicly then claimed failure like Apollo 13

Edited by skookum

It's a nice story, however when you launch things that are big enough to reach the moon they tend to be visible for a very long distance. Even if you can find somewhere secluded you have to transport your rocket there which is again huge, then assemble it.

I really don't think this would have happened, the infrastructure and man power to hide such an assembly, launch then deconstruction of launch site would have been huge. I think there would have been lots of witnesses. Too many to silence.

Is that what supposedly occurred in this movie?

They launched a Saturn V (presumably) from a secret location???

Sorry if that seems dum.

I never saw this movie(don't get to see many movies).

I never even saw but 25 minutes of Apollo 13(I thought the real thing was much more compelling)!

Would have been easier to have launched publicly then claimed failure like Apollo 13

Again, this is the movie, right?

Historical note, for the record: No one called Apollo 13 a failure. No one who understands, that is.

Apollo 13 was one of, if not the greatest accomplishment of the Apollo program. It was a magnificent display of excellence by the crew, mission controllers, contractors, and mission management.

Apollo 13 was Medal of Freedom stuff (and it was awarded to the crew and the Flight Directors).