Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horses to be killed for meat in U.S. due to

Still Waters

The owner of a New Mexico slaughterhouse is defending his plan to become the first plant in the nation since 2007 to handle horses after an outcry from politicians and animal activists.

In interviews with the Roswell Daily Record and the Albuquerque Journal on Friday, Valley Meat Co. owner Rick De Los Santos said he's trying to revive his failing business and that what he's proposing is legal.

The horses he plans to process are being slaughtered anyway in Mexico and his operation would be overseen by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and meet much higher standards, he said.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• Bavarian Raven

• Still Waters

• Simbi Laveau

We are fighting this.If you haven't gathered,I do animal rights stuff.

Anyone who eats horse meat,is a horses .......yeah.

This is again,one of obamas bright ideas to fight alleged food shortages.He signed all the bills,making it possible.

Like the wild horse slaughter just for fun,isn't enough.You can bet he and his family won't be eating horse meat any time soon.

No one even applied to be a horse slaughter house,until this MORON.

This country is seriously sick,is all I can say.

nothing wrong with eating horse meat. no different then eating cows or chicken or the such.

nothing wrong with eating horse meat. no different then eating cows or chicken or the such.

Even the American Indian didn't eat their horses.

It's big in Japan.It would be about as readily accepted in the USA,as eating our dogs.

I have eaten horse before, when I was in France. Very tender. I see it as no different from eating cow or pig or chicken.

Posted Today, 08:53 PM

Bavarian Raven, on 16 April 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Even the American Indian didn't eat their horses.

It's big in Japan.It would be about as readily accepted in the USA,as eating our dogs.

unless your a vegan and dont eat/use any animal products at all... (including leather shoes, makeup, etc)...u dont have a right to complain. eating one animal is no diff. then eating another. its all calories. tasty calories i might add :rolleyes:

Horse meat is no more sacred than cow or chicken meat. Shrug.

I'm omnivorous, so I don't have a problem with eating any type of meat. I would much prefer animals that are cared for humanely and killed outright before butchering, etc. rather than what really goes on. But... I see nothing intrinsically wrong with eating horse meat just because they're prettier or are kept as pets or whatever in some cases.

We ride on horses.I cannot see it being popular ,given we do not even like venison or sweet meats that much.

We also do not breed horses for food,or have farms for horse meat.

This has NEVER been done in the USA before.

Ever. So i don't see anyone jumping on the horse meat band wagon,and most of us find it barbaric.

Chickens and cows and pigs,have been farmed for food,for centuries.

Most everyone only rides horses.

We ride on horses.I cannot see it being popular ,given we do not even like venison or sweet meats that much.

Ever. So i don't see anyone jumping on the horse meat band wagon,and most of us find it barbaric.

basically your argument is that a horses life is worth more then a cows or pigs life. good to know. :mellow::unsure:

As a person who's already eaten horse meat I can say it is definitely healthier and has a very specific flavor to it.. However I find it hard to believe that someone can kill a horse.. I mean it's somehow different than killing a pig or a chicken..

So... you have never eaten Italian Salami??? And you are so wrong, you have probably eaten "horse": more times than you know... I LOVE Venison, so who are the "WE" you refer to??

What makes it Barbaric??

We who? I don't mind venison, but don't have it often as I live in a big city and generally those kinds of meats are more expensive unless you know someone who is a hunter. As for sweetmeats, that's a confectionary so I don't see what they have to do with this subject.

Ever.

No? Perhaps you need to re-read the article in question a little more closely...

The owner of a New Mexico slaughterhouse is defending his plan to become the first plant in the nation since 2007 to handle horses after an outcry from politicians and animal activists.
Horse slaughter has effectively been blocked since Congress withheld funds for USDA inspections of horse meat plants in 2006.

Both of these statements indicate to me that your claim that it has NEVER been done in the USA before is blatantly false.

The difference to me is that horses have a nobility that cows and chickens lack. Having worked on ranches when younger I have no problem with eating cows, stupid and gross as they are, horses are more on a level with dogs. Just my stupid opinion.

What'e the big deal? Like most others have said, I've eaten horse meat and it isn't bad. I see no problem with this.

I'm all for animal conservation, but if the animal is no where near endangered or even threatened, who cares?

I think those that eat cows, chickens, pigs, fish, etc and have a problem with this need to get off their high horses (yes, i did just type that) and pull up a chair.

I, personally, cannot wait to get me some horse meat.

Edit: I also love venison. I have some frozen right now. I would eat pretty much any animal, given the chance.

N8vJqBDUHp2dntadv6GHhQXJo1_500.jpg

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Bavarian Raven, on 16 April 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

The difference to me is that horses have a nobility that cows and chickens lack. Having worked on ranches when younger I have no problem with eating cows, stupid and gross as they are, horses are more on a level with dogs. Just my stupid opinion.

nthing stupid about having an opinion.

i just think its wrong.

being an omnivore, i have no problem with anyone eating chicken, beef, horse, dog, deer, moose, rabbit, etc.

i've been on farms before (several aunts/uncles are farmers/were farmers) and i've been around all these animals before. sure, a horse is more majestic then a cow... but both have feelings/both have equal right to live. and if we're to eat one animal, the next person is just as in the right to eat any other animal. again, thats just my opinion. :yes: and unless you are a vegan and dont eat/use any meat products (including leather, milk, eggs, etc) i don't think you have a right to complain :ph34r:

My entire family loves venison. That's all I can speak for though. And some ride cows too!

Here's how to train in a few easy steps

http://m.wikihow.com/Train-a-Cow-to-be-Ridden

It makes me sad and a little angry that these animals are to be slaughtered as a delicacy for a specific culture. I would eat the meat to survive if I was starving but that's not what's in play here.

I don't see any reason for fault to be placed upon those that would, or do, eat horse meat. Personally, I don't know that I would, but that's mainly because I all ready enjoy other types of meat. If presented with the opportunity, I might try it, but most likely would never do more than simply find out what it tastes like.

People eat deer meat. I really don't see how a horse is any different. Like others have said, it really shouldn't be viewed any differently than eating cow or pig meat, or just about any other animal you can name.

The only issues I have in regards to any animal that would be eaten is if they are an endangered species, and the fact that most animals are treated cruelly by the time their meat is packaged for human consumption.

I couldn't kill a horse, but then again, I couldn't kill a deer, a pig, or a cow either. If I lived in a time, or a place, where it was necessary for man to hunt their own meals though, I doubt I'd find it as difficult to kill an animal for my own, or my family's, consumption.

Edited by Angel Left Wing

I ate horse meat (in France it's easy to get) but I ate some kangorro, some austrich some rattle snake it good eating also. I bit expensive for my taste 'xpcet rattlers they're plenty.

We are fighting this.If you haven't gathered,I do animal rights stuff.

Anyone who eats horse meat,is a horses .......yeah.

This is again,one of obamas bright ideas to fight alleged food shortages.He signed all the bills,making it possible.

Like the wild horse slaughter just for fun,isn't enough.You can bet he and his family won't be eating horse meat any time soon.

No one even applied to be a horse slaughter house,until this MORON.

This country is seriously sick,is all I can say.

Same as any other meat...

I eat kangaroo regularly, I'd eat horse if it was competitively priced and tasted good...

Has anyone tasted horse?

Same as any other meat...

I eat kangaroo regularly, I'd eat horse if it was competitively priced and tasted good...

Has anyone tasted horse?

Horse meat taste great, it is very tender, lean and healthier than beef. It has lots of iron and it is recommended for people with deficiencies.

Horse meat taste great, it is very tender, lean and healthier than beef. It has lots of iron and it is recommended for people with deficiencies.

That's why I love kangaroo, extremely lean, can be tough but if it's cooked properly it's great. Also good for the environment ;)

And something I just read on the Wiki page for kangaroo meat:

Kangatarianism is a recent practice of following a diet which excludes meat except kangaroo on environmental and ethical grounds.

While I am fond of horses, I also don't see what what the huge outcry is - so long as the horses in question are treated as humanely as possible...

The only real question I have is how economically viable is this? Horses aren't exactly cheap to raise... In order for the 'farmer' to get any kind of profit, the meat would have to be expensive... If it's expensive, how many customers will there be?...

You better never leave America:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

In the Netherlands, smoked horse meat (paardenrookvlees) is sold as sliced meat and eaten on bread. There are also beef-based variants. Horse meat is also used in sausages (paardenworst and frikandel[68]), fried fast food snacks and ready-to-eat soups.