Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Casimer Force

space11498

Hello viewers,

If it is possible to tune two parallel plates to resonate due to Casimer's effect,then can't we create extra potential and obtain the useful energy produced? :)

Please share your thoughts!!!!!!!! :tu:

Please correct me if I am wrong. :yes:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentalcase

• space11498

• sepulchrave

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of energy created is to miniscule. From what I've researched over the years, there are no known practical applications of the effect.

To add to what Mentalcase has said, even if the energy were relatively large you still couldn't ``generate'' energy from this principle.

Forces only produce useful energy when they displace objects.

Water is a simple example; a lake on the top of a hill experiences gravity pulling it downwards, but since it is stationary you can't get energy from it.

In a river, on the other hand, gravity is moving the water. You can then use a hydroelectric dam to convert some of that motion into useful energy. This works because once the water reaches the bottom (i.e. the ocean) natural processes like evaporation and rainfall serve to replenish the source of the river.

For the Casimir force, you could collect (a small amount of) useful energy from two parallel plates getting pulled together. But then once this is done, how do you separate the plates again? The Casimir force is purely attractive, you would need to separate the plates by hand (or some other mechanism), which would take the same amount of energy as you got out of the process in the first place.

In short, you can only collect energy from a potential once.

To add to what Mentalcase has said, even if the energy were relatively large you still couldn't ``generate'' energy from this principle.

Forces only produce useful energy when they displace objects.

Water is a simple example; a lake on the top of a hill experiences gravity pulling it downwards, but since it is stationary you can't get energy from it.

In a river, on the other hand, gravity is moving the water. You can then use a hydroelectric dam to convert some of that motion into useful energy. This works because once the water reaches the bottom (i.e. the ocean) natural processes like evaporation and rainfall serve to replenish the source of the river.

For the Casimir force, you could collect (a small amount of) useful energy from two parallel plates getting pulled together. But then once this is done, how do you separate the plates again? The Casimir force is purely attractive, you would need to separate the plates by hand (or some other mechanism), which would take the same amount of energy as you got out of the process in the first place.

In short, you can only collect energy from a potential once.

Wonderfully worded! I'm sure it would take even more energy to collect. It is a nice little experiment though. It does add some amazing food for thought in the physics community. ^_^

Thanks for your replies sepulchrave and mentalcase.