Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hen lays healthy 'eggless' chick

Still Waters

A Sri Lanka hen has given birth to a chick without an egg, in a new twist on the age-old question of whether the chicken or the egg came first.

Instead of passing out of the hen's body and being incubated outside, the egg was incubated in the hen for 21 days and then hatched inside the hen.

The chick is fully formed and healthy, although the mother has died.

The government veterinary officer in the area said he had never seen anything like it before.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moonshadow60

• OverSword

• Still Waters

• Robbie333

i thought chicks eat the white from inside eggs, did the mother die from the birthing or from the chick pecking. poor hen

Wow, that is amazing. Glad the little guy made it.

did the mother die from the birthing or from the chick pecking.

Both maybe, it just says -

A post-mortem conducted on the hen's body concluded that it died of internal wounds

Both maybe, it just says -

A post-mortem conducted on the hen's body concluded that it died of internal wounds

She may have died but she indeed gave life. This is a good thing.

Ya, that's why we know now they have the egg on the outside..that's like a human female dying from carrying a baby via tubal pregnancy or something and dying from internal wounds that way..though on rare occasions some females do survive tubal pregnancies, but it is rare. Either they die or they have to get an abortion or they spon. abort. Beautiful baby chick thou sorry the hen had to suffer.

An eggless chick? Everybody make a note of which one came first; hopefully we can avoid any future debate.

They need to carefully breed this chicken so that they can start a new type of chicken that gives birth to live young! Will it become a mammal then?

They need to carefully breed this chicken so that they can start a new type of chicken that gives birth to live young! Will it become a mammal then?

Not very practical if the mother dies every time she lays an egg. =/

I don't think it would count as a mammal, bulveye. Even if it could give live birth, it still doesn't have mammary glands to feed its young with, nor does it have hair. As for the three middle ear bones, I have no clue whether chickens possess them or not.

hmm, if theres mammals that reproduce by laying eggs, i don't think a bird that reproduces by giving birth to live young sounds so strange to me.

No way to prove or disprove the validity of this story. Seems like just another tall tale to me.

You think this has something to do with chickens evolving? LOL! duh?

Wouldn't there have been signs something was wrong with the mother hen ? I don't see how she could have laid any eggs during that time because this egg was blocking any others from passing it. I mean, if you had a chicken that had not laid an egg in 21 days, wouldn't that be a red flag ?

Unhatched chicks receive oxygen through their egg shell and carbon dioxide exits the shell. Also there would need to be some source of nutrition while it developed, which is the purpose of a yolk. How did this chick live inside its mother's body and receive nourishment and oxygen? I don't think it is possible.

Is everyone seriously missing the part where it says that the egg was incubated INSIDE the hen and then the chick hatched before coming out? I feel like some of you are looking at this as if there was no egg involved whatsoever.

But the chick needs air to survive. If it is in the egg outside the chicken it receives air through its shell. Inside the chicken there is no source of oxygen. The chicken and chick are not connected by am umbilical cord so it cannot receive a source of oxygen through the mother's blood supply. It would suffocate in there.

But the chick needs air to survive. If it is in the egg outside the chicken it receives air through its shell. Inside the chicken there is no source of oxygen. The chicken and chick are not connected by am umbilical cord so it cannot receive a source of oxygen through the mother's blood supply. It would suffocate in there.

I'm going to guess and say the egg was at the hole where the egg comes out, but was stuck. So there was still enough egg surface protruding to allow air to pass through the shell. The shell allows air to pass by the process of OSMOSIS.

maybe as the egg formed so did the chick, hence the egg is laid you have instant chicken ?.

Poor hen, with shattered egg inside her.

This thread is making me hungry for some chicken tenders. Is that young survivor ready to chow down on yet?

I'm going to guess and say the egg was at the hole where the egg comes out, but was stuck. So there was still enough egg surface protruding to allow air to pass through the shell. The shell allows air to pass by the process of OSMOSIS.

I have to agree, your assumption has got to be the best theory yet.