Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists create DNA alternative

Saru

Artificial genetic material that can evolve and store information like DNA has been developed in a lab.

Researchers at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, in Cambridge, developed chemical procedures to turn DNA and RNA, the molecular blueprints for all known life, into six alternative genetic polymers called XNAs.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowSot

• Insaniac

• Rlyeh

• booNyzarC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The article concludes with, "Synthetic biologists are beginning to frolic on the worlds of alternative genetics but must not tread into areas that have the potential to harm our biology."

I would submit that we are already doing this, not with some exotic new system similar to DNA, but by genetic engineering of food, taking genes from one organism and inserting it into another that we consume. Add to this the over-use of hormones and pesticides. This might be a partial explanation for many of the digestive issues, allergies and immune problems we are seeing in America. And since we are the first generation to experience widespread usage of these GMOs, will our generation also one day show an increased rate of cancer? Our bodies are now having to process material that they were not designed to consume. Yes, I know that this may allow higher yield crops or give plants and animals the edge over weeds and diseases but at what cost? But that's just my rant against the adulteration of our food supply.

The article concludes with, "Synthetic biologists are beginning to frolic on the worlds of alternative genetics but must not tread into areas that have the potential to harm our biology."

I would submit that we are already doing this, not with some exotic new system similar to DNA, but by genetic engineering of food, taking genes from one organism and inserting it into another that we consume. Add to this the over-use of hormones and pesticides. This might be a partial explanation for many of the digestive issues, allergies and immune problems we are seeing in America. And since we are the first generation to experience widespread usage of these GMOs, will our generation also one day show an increased rate of cancer? Our bodies are now having to process material that they were not designed to consume. Yes, I know that this may allow higher yield crops or give plants and animals the edge over weeds and diseases but at what cost? But that's just my rant against the adulteration of our food supply.

Valid points my friend. Sadly we only seem to learn from our mistakes, and making mistakes in this area could be deadly.

peace

mark

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh... snap! The implications this brings up are too numerous to list. I'll just agree with Spid3rCyd3 and say "zombies."

Oh yes,let's all freak out about it!

Even better, let's freak out about stuff that hasn't (and may not) happen yet!

Even more better, let's assume our particular mad on is the source of all evil!

Even more more better, let's ignore the rates of illness/allergies in countries that take on GM food versus those that don't, and freak out some more!

Are they tampering with something which may get out of control ?.One day they will take one step too far which will turn around and bite.Dont mess with nature.

Right, we should never forget the lessons taught to us by every bad scifi film ever.

We started messing with nature when the first wolf was tamed and the first ancient human thought it was a good idea to try planting the seeds this.

Edited by ShadowSot

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh... snap! The implications this brings up are too numerous to list. I'll just agree with Spid3rCyd3 and say "zombies."

ZNA!?

Right, we should never forget the lessons taught to us by every bad scifi film ever.

We started messing with nature when the first wolf was tamed and the first ancient human thought it was a good idea to try planting the seeds this.

Now now ShadowSot. I must say you have the look of a bit of genetic modification yourself... :P

Now now ShadowSot. I must say you have the look of a bit of genetic modification yourself... :P

Not a drop of it I'll have you know, I came to this body from healthy all natural radiation, thank you very kindly.

Puts hair on your chest it does.

And your ears.

H'and the bottoms of your feet.

And your tongue.

And... well, you get the idea.

Edited by ShadowSot

Not a drop of it I'll have you know, I came to this body from healthy all natural radiation, thank you very kindly.

Puts hair on your chest it does.

And your ears.

H'and the bottoms of your feet.

And your tongue.

And... well, you get the idea.

LOL :lol:

It is working very well. Some might say too well! :rofl:

and why is it so hard for people to belive that weve had our dna manipulated by extraterrestrials when where more primitve and starting to make or own lab grown dna strands

and why is it so hard for people to belive that weve had our dna manipulated by extraterrestrials when where more primitve and starting to make or own lab grown dna strands

Oh I dunno... Perhaps it is the complete lack of evidence to support or even suggest such a thing?

I was thinking along the lines of AI being reproductive. Not zombies.

Oh I dunno... Perhaps it is the complete lack of evidence to support or even suggest such a thing?

We are capable right now with just only 200 year of scientific and technological evolution to create some kind of synthetic DNA... I think this is an actual clear evidence of this possibility of ''intelligent design'' by ancient ''Aliens''.

Edited by Bildr

We are capable right now with just only 200 year of scientific and technological evolution to create some kind of synthetic DNA... I think this is an actual clear evidence of this possibility of ''intelligent design'' by ancient ''Aliens''.

It's also possible that all of reality was created yesterday as part of a clever computer program. However, there's no actual evidence it happened.

And car manufacturers are evidence that dinosaurs drove around in cars.

Anything living is designed. Make no mistake about that.

Anything living is designed. Make no mistake about that.

Must have had a crap designer then,or a peculiarly malicious one.