Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum update progress

Saru

Getting everything to work perfectly for everyone on the mobile skin is difficult due to the range of mobile devices out there, a patch is incoming which may fix some of the issues people have been experiencing with it.

This also applies to page navigation in threads?

This also applies to page navigation in threads?

What problem are you experiencing with page navigation in threads ?

Getting everything to work perfectly for everyone on the mobile skin is difficult due to the range of mobile devices out there, a patch is incoming which may fix some of the issues people have been experiencing with it.

In your profile click the "likes" option on the left hand menu, then click "received" at the top right to filter the list.

Ah.. Thanks! I'll check it out.

What problem are you experiencing with page navigation in threads ?

On the old version I remember the page numbers showing up on the forum page. Now it is not showing at all. If I enter a massive thread I cannot simply navigate to the first page or any other set page but must simply use the "Prev" and "Next" options until I get to the desired page. When we get into those big 100 page threads this just doesn't seem an efficient process.

I apologise if I'm missing something here but I can't seem to find a way to navigate to pages as easily as the older version.

I've made a note to look in to this as well.

Update:

The 'like' system has been disabled for the time being as it appears to be contributing heavily to server performance issues, internally it has produced a cache table containing several million records and this produces long wait times when viewing threads, especially long threads with hundreds of pages. The result is that the more time passes with the 'likes' enabled, the slower things get until the forum becomes practically unusable.

I'm going to bring this up with Invision support and see if there's a way we can keep the 'like' system without this happening. We have been archiving some of the largest threads on the boards and while this does help overall performance it isn't enough on its own to counter the problem.

Saru,

How do I make this show up in my signature as a 'clickable' text/link:

<a href="http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184645&st=11625">Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 1]</a>

Or in a post?

Edited by Abramelin

Use this code:

[url=http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184645&st=11625]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood (Part 1)[/url]

Use this code:

[url=http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184645&st=11625]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood (Part 1)[/url]

Ah yes, BBCode.

Thanks.

Well I'm glad to know where the like button has gone. Hope we can keep it as I use it a lot instead of posting (not that it is noticeable) lol

Great job on the update.

Saru, I don't know when you sleep. I suspect you are a robot.

I love the new look and everything is super fast for me with Firefox.

Once again, great work and thank you for a tremendous site and splendid tolerance of me. :tu:

I actually hope that the like button will come back, it added something to the forum, a way of expressing ourselves and sharing opinions.

Any news yet on the like button?

Have patience, people, the "like" button has only been gone for a day.

Saru needs to install a patch to the site. He has done a huge amount of work and still has a lot to do.

Whilst the "like" button was a nice addition it is not really important. The "like" button was slowing the site down unacceptably.

Would you rather have a slow, poorly running site with a "like" button? Would it really make that much difference if it didn't return at all?

I would suggest that anyone that answers yes to either of those questions should really look at their reasons for making a post in the first place.

Geez Waspie I only asked if there was any news on it. Bite my head off will you?

Also, post I made yesterday acknowledging all of Saru's hard work:

Well I'm glad to know where the like button has gone. Hope we can keep it as I use it a lot instead of posting (not that it is noticeable) lol

Great job on the update.

Saru, I don't know when you sleep. I suspect you are a robot.

I love the new look and everything is super fast for me with Firefox.

Once again, great work and thank you for a tremendous site and splendid tolerance of me.

The site ran fast and smoothly for me since the update with or without the button. I can take it or leave it. As I don't run a website I don't know what all is involved in installing a patch. So excuse my ignorance and impatience.

Waspie's comment was only a general notice about what's happening, it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

The like system won't be back until next week at the very earliest, i'll be posting updates in this thread when i know more.

Update:

The 'like' system has been disabled for the time being as it appears to be contributing heavily to server performance issues, internally it has produced a cache table containing several million records and this produces long wait times when viewing threads, especially long threads with hundreds of pages. The result is that the more time passes with the 'likes' enabled, the slower things get until the forum becomes practically unusable.

I'm going to bring this up with Invision support and see if there's a way we can keep the 'like' system without this happening. We have been archiving some of the largest threads on the boards and while this does help overall performance it isn't enough on its own to counter the problem.

Crap, I wanted to " like " this reply.....

Saru, I have not said it, other than in my head.....Site looks great, thanks for the hard work, and time.

Saru, I have not said it, other than in my head.....Site looks great, thanks for the hard work, and time.

This ^ ^ :tsu:

Youtube videos no longer showing, just the link....

Your link is to the embedded player version of the video, it needs to point to the full video URL to work - i.e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysvn2JDzVw8

Your link is to the embedded player version of the video, it needs to point to the full video URL to work - i.e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysvn2JDzVw8

Ok, thanks....Strange, copied and pasted how I have the others I had posted before.....The video was on another news story, I had clicked on " watch on youtube ", and used youtubes link after that.......Something to watch out for..Thanks again Saru.

Edited by Sakari

Actually i think the problem in this case is the "#!" you've got on the end of the link, try it without that.

Actually i think the problem in this case is the "#!" you've got on the end of the link, try it without that.

I think you were right...I edited my reply above :)

Using the " watch on you tube " link ( after directed to youtube from it ) the address is different than if I just search that video title and go to it......Somehow must have directed me to the embed link.

It worked using a different link......

Edited by Sakari

it's still doing it. When i tried to post something just now, twice the three little dots went back & forth but it didn't come up, so I had to open it again and copy & paste it.

• The topic was locked