Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum update progress

Saru

I was able to log in within 2 or 3 seconds, and no real difficulty with posting today. Looks like things will be OK...thanks Saru and the staffers (and a Happy May Day!)

Update:

• The number of replies are now visible again to users who aren't logged in.

Spell checker in Firefox issue:

If you are using Firefox and the browser's spell checker is not working when you are writing a post then the following should fix it:

1. Right-click within the editor
  2. Select "Languages" and select "English / United States" or your preferred language
  3. Make sure "Check spelling" is also checked

Usually this is done automatically however in some modern versions of Firefox this needs to be explicitly selected when using certain editors, once you have done this once you shouldn't need to do it again to keep the spell checker functioning on this site.

Ok That fixed it, I'd give you a big old bear hug if you were here. So here's a virtual one: (((hugs)))

The bots in the users list is a bug, also the rich text editor won't work on an iPad.

That's a shame. It used to. Hope one day it'll be back. I'm always on the iPad.

Updates:

• The image gallery uploader is now back up and running again
  • Search engine spiders should no longer show up in the users online list when viewing threads

Is there any way to combine the editing modes instead of toggling back and forth? Or better yet, is there a way to make the editing mode mimic the way that it used to be?

I've just run into my first effort at a rather large post using multiple features and toggling back and forth is pretty clunky, ending up with broken looking links, images showing as links instead of images, formatting anomalies, etc...

Also, is there an issue with the Indent button? I don't seem to be able to indent multiple separate sections like I used to... although that may be because I've got errant tags somewhere. I'll test here.

This is supposed to be indented.

This isn't.

This isn't either.

This, however is.

Not this.

But this should be.

If I manually construct the code, it seemed to work here:

[indent=1]This is supposed to be indented.[/indent]
This isn't.
This isn't either.
[indent=1]This, however is.[/indent]
Not this.
[indent=1]But this should be.[/indent]

If I try to use the editing button, it either indents the whole post or some seemingly random section of the post.

We don't have any control over the features on the editor, it's a third party editor built in to third party forum software.

One or both would need to release a new version in order to make these sort of changes.

Hello again. One small point; I notice that some of the Smilies have been changed. I'm slightly disappointed that 'unsure2' has been changed from the eyes glancing suspiciously from side to side (a very eloquent one, that, I thought) to :unsure2: , which looks a bit cross eyed.

:unsure2:

I'm slightly disappointed that 'unsure2' has been changed

Everyone's favourite uncertain emoticon has now been restored to its former sideways glancing glory. :P

* Also, when you try to insert links, e.g. how you could have a word underlined that would take you to the link, it doesn't seem to do that now

You can still do this the same way as before ( highlight the text you want to make clickable and click the 'link' icon in the editor ).

Alternatively you can add the tags manually:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/]Like that[/url]

Like that

About the "edit" button, I'm having the same problem as mentioned just above - when an edit is submitted the next screen goes back to the first post on page 1. Any way to fix this so that it goes back to the edited post itself?

This is confirmed as a bug and is being looked in to. It only seems to do it sometimes, not sure what the specific conditions are.

BUG: Every time I try to reply in the quick reply box, the cursor randomly jumps to the beginning of the line, mid-sentence. Its quite frustrating.

I haven't noticed this happening, what browser/version are you using ?

Update:

• The number of replies are now visible again to users who aren't logged in.

Spell checker in Firefox issue:

If you are using Firefox and the browser's spell checker is not working when you are writing a post then the following should fix it:

1. Right-click within the editor
  2. Select "Languages" and select "English / United States" or your preferred language
  3. Make sure "Check spelling" is also checked

Usually this is done automatically however in some modern versions of Firefox this needs to be explicitly selected when using certain editors, once you have done this once you shouldn't need to do it again to keep the spell checker functioning on this site.

Saru - Am utilizing FF, latest version, latest updates. Cannot seem to locate "Editor", even after hitting "preview post".

Suggestions/applicable screenshot?

Thanks,

Swede

Saru - Am utilizing FF, latest version, latest updates. Cannot seem to locate "Editor", even after hitting "preview post".

Thanks,

Swede

By editor he means the text box that you make your post in. It doesn't actually say editor. Just right click where you would normally start typing your post and follow his additional instructions. Takes all of 5-10 seconds to get spell check working again.

Thanks,

Swede

Hey Swede, just go into the box where you are typing a response and right click for the menu. Make it look like this:

post-105506-0-12748300-1336014923_thumb.

I'm having two issues as a mobile site user... one... I cannot go directly to the last page of a these. Games section is where this is mostly necessary for me. A couple random threads its important also.

And two. In chat every time a person posts or a new line moves up it kicks my cursor to the beginning of the box when I'm typing. Most distressful... sometimes I don't notice that I'm writing at the beginning again. Please help if you can.

Hey Swede, just go into the box where you are typing a response and right click for the menu. Make it look like this:

post-105506-0-12748300-1336014923_thumb.

Euphorbia, Boony - Thanks.

I'm having two issues as a mobile site user... one... I cannot go directly to the last page of a these. Games section is where this is mostly necessary for me. A couple random threads its important also.

And two. In chat every time a person posts or a new line moves up it kicks my cursor to the beginning of the box when I'm typing. Most distressful... sometimes I don't notice that I'm writing at the beginning again. Please help if you can.

This is a real lame work around, but you could type your message in a text editor and then copy/paste it into the chat window until the root problem is fixed.

Euphorbia, Boony - Thanks.

Anytime, happy to help.

Cheers.

Double post

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

This is a real lame work around, but you could type your message in a text editor and then copy/paste it into the chat window until the root problem is fixed.

Anytime, happy to help.

Cheers.

Hey boon I appreciate the response. While that would suffice for the moment I don't think its worth the effort. I tried going in there again and the cursor jumped while saying my first line... hello... it came out as elloH... I think I'm done using it until someone can fix it. Though I don't know if they are planning on it or not.

Hey boon I appreciate the response. While that would suffice for the moment I don't think its worth the effort. I tried going in there again and the cursor jumped while saying my first line... hello... it came out as elloH... I think I'm done using it until someone can fix it. Though I don't know if they are planning on it or not.

I just jumped into the chat room and I didn't experience what you are describing. I wonder if it might be your web browser or something else? I'm using Firefox. What web browser are you using?

If you are using IE, you may want to enable compatibility mode, for UM at the very least. I recall having similar issues when I was using IE and found it very frustrating until I enabled compatibility mode.

Cheers.

I just jumped into the chat room and I didn't experience what you are describing. I wonder if it might be your web browser or something else? I'm using Firefox. What web browser are you using?

If you are using IE, you may want to enable compatibility mode, for UM at the very least. I recall having similar issues when I was using IE and found it very frustrating until I enabled compatibility mode.

Cheers.

Mobile user boon. Android.

Mobile user boon. Android.

Ah... okay then, never mind my suggestions :)

Maybe you should get a computer though... ;)

Ah... okay then, never mind my suggestions :)

Maybe you should get a computer though... ;)

Lol I got one but home time is family time for me.

I've just noticed something else. If you reply by quoting something, it seems that you can't attach attachments, you can only do that by replying without quoting. This seems to add unnecessary inconvenience.

I've just noticed something else. If you reply by quoting something, it seems that you can't attach attachments, you can only do that by replying without quoting. This seems to add unnecessary inconvenience.

After quoting click the [More Reply Options] button and you'll be able to add attachments. :)

Tap/click on the arrow at the right-hand side of the thread in the topic index to take you to the last page of posts.

I'll have to look in to this one.

What boon said - when you click "quote" it's still using the fast reply box at the bottom of the page, to add an attachment you need to be using the full editor which can be accessed by clicking "more reply options" or via the main "reply to this topic" button at the top right.

• The topic was locked