Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coca-Cola drinking linked to woman's death

Still Waters

The sister of a woman whose partner claimed she died because she drank too much Coca-Cola says she does not hold the company responsible.

However, the woman's partner and mother-in-law say warning labels should be put on the drink.

An inquest for mother-of-eight Natasha Harris was held in Invercargill yesterday. Harris died on February 25, 2010.

Otago-Southland coroner David Crerar did not make any preliminary findings after yesterday's inquest, however pathologist Dan Mornin said he believed Harris died of cardiac arrhythmia and it was likely she was suffering from hypokalemia (low potassium) along with caffeine toxicity, which could have contributed to her death.

When asked by Crerar whether it was probable her consumption of Coca-Cola had caused the hypokalemia and arrhythmia, Dr Mornin said yes, along with poor nutrition and caffeine.

At the inquest, Harris' partner, Chris Hodgkinson, said his partner consumed between 4.5 and 8 litres of Coke a day for several years before her death, and he believed this had contributed to her death.

arrow3.gifRead more...

The young lady definitely had a problem with sugar and caffeine. Sad to die from such excess but hardly a reason to include a warning on labels. I did not realize a person could die from over consumption of water. I drink WAY too much diet coke. Time to put the brakes on that bad habit! Thank you for posting.

The young lady definitely had a problem with sugar and caffeine. Sad to die from such excess but hardly a reason to include a warning on labels. I did not realize a person could die from over consumption of water. I drink WAY too much diet coke. Time to put the brakes on that bad habit! Thank you for posting.

Diet sodas are much worse than regular.

The aspartame,sodium,dye,and caffiene ,are a deadly combination .

Reg stuff has high fructose corn syrup,caffiene ,and dye

If it conatined plain sugar,even thats healthier than high fructose corn syrup

Do iced teas and lemonade,with plain old sugar,or club soda.

• Like 1

I drink WAY too much diet coke.

I don't drink it at all, diet or regular. I'm not too keen on coke.

Edited by Still Waters

At last... someone who also ain't keen on coke. Thought I was only one in Europe. :)

(I was nearly lynched once by tweens for saying I though Dr Pepper was foulest soft drink I'd ever tasted. Like day-old, already chewed chewing gum. I dunno why I felt the need to share that but I feel better for doing so.)

Edited by Eldorado

At last... someone who also ain't keen on coke. Thought I was only one in Europe. :)

(I was nearly lynched once by tweens for saying I though Dr Pepper was foulest soft drink I'd ever tasted. Like day-old, already chewed chewing gum. I dunno why I felt the need to share that but I feel better for doing so.)

:tu:

I prefer a glass of milk straight from the fridge over any type of soft drink.

I can deal with Pepsi Max on occasion but recently I have rediscovered *drum roll* Cordial :w00t: . Lime especially, it is actually thirst quenching and it comes in diet, makes me feel like a kid again, all I needs is one of those crazy twirly straws :lol: .

Mind you, regard the topic.

Too much sugar

Too much caffeine

AND

8 Litres a day has gotta be waaaay too much fluid as well - it's a wonder she didn't drown.:o

I do like the taste of coca-cola, but unfortunately I get acid-reflux if I drink any kind of fizzy drink... still, a healthy balance in all 'intake' is of course the way to go. I have a friend at my Work who claims she is addicted to coca-cola though.

So if you read the article you can see that it wasn't only the coca-cola that was the problem... this poor woman had high stress and exhaustion raising 8 children (presumably all of them are pretty young considering she was only 30), she ate VERY poorly or not at all, she smoked a pack and a half of cigs a day... she'd been having health problems for quite some time. Death by Coca-Cola isn't exactly accurate... it's more like death by malnutrition. Although, no one should drink 2 gallons of soda a day... no one shoud drink 2 gallons of anything a day. Probably not even 2 gallons of water.

So if you read the article you can see that it wasn't only the coca-cola that was the problem... this poor woman had high stress and exhaustion raising 8 children (presumably all of them are pretty young considering she was only 30), she ate VERY poorly or not at all, she smoked a pack and a half of cigs a day... she'd been having health problems for quite some time. Death by Coca-Cola isn't exactly accurate... it's more like death by malnutrition. Although, no one should drink 2 gallons of soda a day... no one shoud drink 2 gallons of anything a day. Probably not even 2 gallons of water.

Yes, I think that would be the perfect formula for a very early death.

And she was only 30 and had EIGHT kids?? Did one of her pregnancies consist of quintuplets or some other multiple birth?

Never drink cola myself. Nothing beats the refreshing taste of good ol water.

Well, it looks like her relatives may think it caused her death but the rest of the report states that it may have contributed, not necessarily caused it. The rest of her lifestyle definitely contributed too. Such a shame to leave all of those children behind. :no:

I will have a coke once in a while.Or ginger ale.

I used to drink coke every day.Like a 20 oz bottle.

In the USA,its coke or Pepsi.I hate Pepsi.

I changed my diet totally abt 2 years ago,and totally lost my taste for sweets,so if i do it,its like half a can,maybe once a week. I do club soda ,iced tea,and lemonades.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

I had to read this twice to make sure I'd read it right. With that much coke she was consuming up to a 1KG of sugar everyday ON TOP of her other food! That's insane.

Also her partner is quoted as saying:-

“I didn’t ever think about the Coke. I never considered it would do any harm to a person. It’s just a soft drink, just like drinking water ... I didn’t think a drink’s going to kill you,’’

I can only think they both had learning needs.

I don't think I could drink that much coke. I didn't realize they depleted the potassium in your body. I try not to drink them because a few years ago I heard on the news that if you are a woman the carbonation in them, or anything, would cause the calcium to leech out of your bones. Something to do with our hormones.

Sux for those 8 kids. OD from coka cola...I wonder how long its been since someone killed themselves from drinking Coca Coal.

I should think 8 litres of coca-cola each day would kill anything. You know you can clean rust off metal with the stuff. I wonder if see had any teeth left?

:tu:

I prefer a glass of milk straight from the fridge over any type of soft drink.

Hopefully not literally, I've got a mental image of a strange cocktail...

My younger sister years ago when she was around 12 years old, was once addicted to Coke Cola...Morning, noon and night My parents got worried...., I cannot recall how much she was drinking but it was a lot.... My parents put a stop to it, warned her off and stopped buying it... But my sister was still buying it and sneaking it into the house... She thought if she poured some into a coffee mug, then if asked what she was drinking, she would say - black tea...........It didn't last, my dad was not falling for it..

I think she eventually gave the habit up once her teeth begun to get really sore and trips to the dentist scared her...

I used to be addicted to caffeine myself...but not so much with coke, more so black coffee ...I would have drank six small cups of black coffee in work 1st thing before I got my day started.. then 2- 3 cups during break.. and when I got home large mugs of black coffee...UNTIL I got pregnant with Becky and it made me sick.. I haven't had one since !!

Caffeine can be very addictive it seems ...........BUT as Mismels points out- There was most likely more to it that caused her death...

Same here,(with the exception of tasting a root beer a few times.)As a kid I was not allowed to drink soda, and it is a habit that has just stuck.

My husband is the same way, it actually messes up his stomach, on the rare occasions, he takes a swig.

Boring ole water drinkers here. :w00t:

• 9 months later...