Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 'God spots' revealed by scientists

Still Waters

Scientists have speculated for years that the human brain features a 'God spot,' one distinct area of the brain responsible for spirituality.

Now, University of Missouri researchers have completed research that indicates spirituality is a complex phenomenon and that multiple areas of the brain are responsible for the many aspects of spiritual experiences.

The new work is based on a previously published study that indicated spiritual transcendence is associated with decreased right parietal lobe functioning.

arrow3.gifRead more...

This is almost like saying that understanding that there is a computer in front of me with which I can interact requires more than one part of my brain... Seriously..? >.>

This is almost like saying that understanding that there is a computer in front of me with which I can interact requires more than one part of my brain... Seriously..? >.>

Well it does. Different areas of your brain light up for simple tasks, and it is a myth that we only us 10% percent of our brain. We use ALL of it (areas) but not the full potential (depth).

• Like 1

Like ive pointed out in a previous comment yesterday ,the point we seem to be always missing is tthat all it is ,is our curiosity thumping on the fact that the god spot is simply a part of our brain that is very primitive its simply our desire to expand and pro-create , we just over simplfy this because we as humans fiind it hard to understand and rationalise ourselves.

Ll make it more simple, we have to think there's more out there in order to expand our drive allows us to fantasise about what could be out there even if it's not ,so we have the drive that's nessesary to see beyond the horizon enough to spread our species,its very simple just need to look through a fresh eye and a simple one.

Edited by reggie2011

I am getting quite sceptical on what Scientists say,eg:-what about people who have no God and dont even know if any God exists,ie:-undiscovered tribes in the Amazon/Congo regions of the world.I guess these un/fortunates have no "spot" in the brain..what a load of RUBBISH,but these supposedly intellectual idiots keep coming up with this MooPoo,and probably get paid for doing so..

Could'nt say it better; The headline to this article is very misleading. What has actually been revealed by this research is the identification of those areas of the brain responsible for the most abstract form of thought ... imagination. The fact that a person can imagine something in no way demonstrates that that "thing" or emotion actually exists or bears any relation to reality.

- EB, Milton Keynes, 22/4/2012 21:32

Edited by Bildr
  • Like 1

Bildr-So because we "love" and it can be seen in the brain in scans does it not exist? Every thought a human has creates activity in the brain. Still does not show proof of the divine or lack there-of in the cosmos.

:-)

Edited by dreamgoddess11

Spiritual beliefs started around 50,000 years ago. Possible origins of religion from Wikipedia :

OriginsThere are a number of theories regarding the origins of religion. Greg M. Epstein, a Humanist chaplain at Harvard University, states that "essentially all the world's major religions were founded on the principle that divine beings or forces can promise a level of justice in a supernatural realm that cannot be perceived in this natural one." According to anthropologists John Monaghan and Peter Just,Many of the great world religions appear to have begun as revitalization movements of some sort, as the vision of a charismatic prophet fires the imaginations of people seeking a more comprehensive answer to their problems than they feel is provided by everyday beliefs. Charismatic individuals have emerged at many times and places in the world. It seems that the key to long-term success – and many movements come and go with little long-term effect – has relatively little to do with the prophets, who appear with surprising regularity, but more to do with the development of a group of supporters who are able to institutionalize the movement.
Parts of the brain might play a role but don't cause it.

I am getting quite sceptical on what Scientists say,eg:-what about people who have no God and dont even know if any God exists,ie:-undiscovered tribes in the Amazon/Congo regions of the world.I guess these un/fortunates have no "spot" in the brain..what a load of RUBBISH,but these supposedly intellectual idiots keep coming up with this MooPoo,and probably get paid for doing so..

Just because chrisitian missionaries haven't beat/scared them out of it yet doesn't mean undiscovered tribes don't have their own gods and sense of spirituality

• Like 1

Just because chrisitian missionaries haven't beat/scared them out of it yet doesn't mean undiscovered tribes don't have their own gods and sense of spirituality

Agreed,and if they want to pay homage to a tree,or do a rain dance,who are we to force our religions (of any kind) upon them. If I was one of them and some guy came along and tried to force his particular religion on me I would be pretty brassed off and he would probably end up with a poison dart in his rump,after all if I want to worship a tree that I can see,thats my problem,as you cannot see , hear or get a reply from Jesus,Bhudda,or the Islam guy...or a tree,but what or who you worship is Private...

what about the idea that the parts of the brain associated with this God idea and tha whole God helmet thing (another article from a year ago) are actually parts of the brain that allow us to see things that are really there versus imagining them. i am of the mindset that says we cannot make things up, that we have to make composite things....things based on other things in our imaginations. therefore what is GOD? if we made him up then there must have been a model to make him up with.

I thinkl now they are saying there is no spot :blush: , go figure.

doug

Agreed,and if they want to pay homage to a tree,or do a rain dance,who are we to force our religions (of any kind) upon them. If I was one of them and some guy came along and tried to force his particular religion on me I would be pretty brassed off and he would probably end up with a poison dart in his rump,after all if I want to worship a tree that I can see,thats my problem,as you cannot see , hear or get a reply from Jesus,Bhudda,or the Islam guy...or a tree,but what or who you worship is Private...

We are so arrogant, well at least you are.... perhaps they are really in touch with a reality we miss out on because of our culture brain washing. All through history people have experienced 'something', I believe that is why we have religion. Now if it true or not, well, I doubt we will ever find out. Bu please, stop being so mind numbing college freshmen like. The relilgious impuse is deep and profound, I think it deserves more respect.

doug

what about the idea that the parts of the brain associated with this God idea and tha whole God helmet thing (another article from a year ago) are actually parts of the brain that allow us to see things that are really there versus imagining them. i am of the mindset that says we cannot make things up, that we have to make composite things....things based on other things in our imaginations. therefore what is GOD? if we made him up then there must have been a model to make him up with.

Interesting, or perhaps we just bury our ability to see into another realm.....I don't know, but could be true.

doug

God exists and is very real. Think about it. Evolutionists say that we developed a thirst so that we would drink water, hunger so that we would eat food, sexual desire so that we would pro-create. Tell me then, why we have a natural desire to believe in our lord and savior Jesus Christ???

Repent to Jesus now, or endure the terrible truth of the tribulation.

Everyone has there right to pay homage to there own gods, whether it be the god of flower picking or whatever.

This is just my own opinion, but personally I dont believe in any divine being. Don't see the point. Thats how I feel though, so dont mind me.

Well to be honest I feel the belief of God stems out of a part of the brain that understands the need for maximum efficient means of function. God is used to give a physical light to this feeling. Ages ago I thought up a concept I coined "the God process." It's a sequence of events within in any physical system, where operation is apparent, that results in the most perfectly acted out scenario for the greater good of all.

I feel this part of the brain helps great thinkers come up with radical new ways of thinking or improving things already in use. It's the part of the brain that understands that having a "need" to want to achieve "ultimate, bigger, better, God"-like characteristics for anything is beneficial for evolution. The brain doesn't know what to "call" this though because it seems so "magical" that it would work. It's like the brain's inbuilt system of calculus. Many of us just seem to call this "magic" God.

• 1 month later...

Is it the same spot in the brain that makes one believe that all the matter in the universe came from the non-matter in the non-universe? Of course not, they haven't discovered the "silly spot" yet.

• 3 months later...
All through history people have experienced 'something', I believe that is why we have religion. Now if it true or not, well, I doubt we will ever find out. Bu please, stop being so mind numbing college freshmen like. The relilgious impuse is deep and profound, I think it deserves more respect.

doug

Personally I believe that this 'something' is what can be collectively given a name of 'the unknown', the great mysterious unknown... In days of earliest cavemen, there were 2 leader types - a chief often having fought his way to the top proving his physical superiority, and a shaman being that notch smarter than most of the flock.

If he said that bush was talking to him, they didn't dare question him, after all, he communicated with ghosts, spirits and whatnot, all that they feared more than their chief.

We've been giving a placeholder-entity meaning to nearly everything we encountered over the centuries, from wind and fire to thunder and volcanoes, until we have learned what they really are, and suddenly from vengeful anger of some mighty god, they became elements, reactions, natural occurences etc etc... time will come, when todays unknowns will also come to be known and analysed, no longer mystical or divine... by then, we will encounter yet another border of our own 'unknown' and give it some spiritual meaning, until we figure this one too...

People put so much faith in books written centuries ago, heck thousands of years even! Long before they were all written down, their story was passed from person to person, scholar to scholar by a word of mouth, the next guy after him got only as good story, as this scholars memory and imagination served him. Not to mention alterations to these books over millenia to suit or leverage someones power and influence along the way... but hey, people have right to believe all they want, if that's what makes them feel better.

The only time when I put my foot down is when someone is trying to force their views upon me or someone else by force, that's when things turn nasty.

God exists and is very real. Think about it. Evolutionists say that we developed a thirst so that we would drink water, hunger so that we would eat food, sexual desire so that we would pro-create. Tell me then, why we have a natural desire to believe in our lord and savior Jesus Christ???

Repent to Jesus now, or endure the terrible truth of the tribulation.

You do know how arrogant and narrow minded you sound here right?

This is YOUR god... if it's so natural to believe in Jesus, what does this make other religions huh? There is whole multitude of religions out there, each of them having their own belief, to them your Jesus is just your own story, not all that natural at all...

And no, evolutionists would never say something so silly as "that we developed a thirst so that we would drink water, hunger so that we would eat food"... Sounds like something what would come from some preacher on one sunday :S. Thirst and hunger are only your bodys signals letting your know that you're running low, giving you the impulse to drink/eat, your didn't evolve them - they come as a package once you are a living body! xD

• 3 weeks later...

So, remove the god spots, and we are free from the gods? Sounds good. And then what to do with the god spots? Give a burial? According to which god? Ah... questions