Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient 'Wave of Poseidon' was real tsunami

Still Waters

When the ocean rose up and saved a Greek town from a marauding Persian army nearly 1,500 years ago, renowned Greek historian Herodotus chalked it up to an act of the gods.

Yet new evidence suggests his account of divine intervention is firmly rooted in the earthly realm, and was actually a tsunami, according to a researcher who spoke on April 19 at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America.

"This is historical stuff, but you have to interpret it in a scientific way," said Klaus Reicherter of Germany's Aachen University, who studied geological evidence of the event.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Time Spy

• WoIverine

• Englishgent

• Conrad Clough

Tsunamis can come in the form of an act of God. The reasons are usually lost in time as a legend or tale, no one really wants to remember. Sometimes God is blamed for asteroid fragments, while deflected from the moons surface into the Earth's atmosphere, and into the mighty sea, thus absorbed by Mother Nature instead of blasting civilization to bits. However, as modern day times proves quite clearly, unfortunately there are still those who pay the price.

Tsunamis can come in the form of an act of God. The reasons are usually lost in time as a legend or tale, no one really wants to remember. Sometimes God is blamed for asteroid fragments, while deflected from the moons surface into the Earth's atmosphere, and into the mighty sea, thus absorbed by Mother Nature instead of blasting civilization to bits. However, as modern day times proves quite clearly, unfortunately there are still those who pay the price.

Tsunamis all come from an earthly cause IMO ie, earthquakes. There is no such thing as an 'act of god' (unless of course, your house is struck by lightning and your insurance company is still in the dark ages) :)

However, there is a act of dog.

My house in Winchester suffered badly from an act of God.A storm blew off some roof tiles.The insurance company did not believe in god so I had to pay the first 100 pounds. God should have paid for this damage,however I dont have His email address.

Act of God, the gods, or whatever, it is highly coincidental that a persian troop legion was wiped out en route to wiping out a greek town. The odds of that are pretty crazy.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Just lucky timing Spid3rCyd3. I'm sure throughout history there are other examples of natural occurances that saved people instead of destroying them. One I can think of offhand is the seagulls in Salt Lake City that ate the locusts. Flocks of birds will follow a large food source, but when it works to people's good, God did it. Of course, he usually takes the blame when nature works to people's harm also.

Tsunamis all come from an earthly cause IMO ie, earthquakes. There is no such thing as an 'act of god' (unless of course, your house is struck by lightning and your insurance company is still in the dark ages) :)

Seems the Greeks thought Poseidon responsible? Was he not a God to them. Futhermore just to skip the endless and pointless argument of trying to prove or disprove ET or God, I will allow you to choose your own opinion. I will reserve the right to mine as well, fair enough? :mellow:

Also, asteriod fragments plummeting into the ocean can create very large earth quakes on the ocean floor. They most certainly in this way and by the displacement of enormous quantities of water cause major tsunamis. I don't see the reason to doubt such a possibility.

"If I do too much people lose the will to act for themselves, if I do too little people lose hope. But if I do it just right no one knows whether I've acted at all" God in Futurama.

Seems the Greeks thought Poseidon responsible? Was he not a God to them. Futhermore just to skip the endless and pointless argument of trying to prove or disprove ET or God, I will allow you to choose your own opinion. I will reserve the right to mine as well, fair enough? :mellow:

Also, asteriod fragments plummeting into the ocean can create very large earth quakes on the ocean floor. They most certainly in this way and by the displacement of enormous quantities of water cause major tsunamis. I don't see the reason to doubt such a possibility.

TimeSpy.

Thank you for 'allowing' me my opinion on what is of course, an open, public forum. Very kiind of you! Yes, you too are entitled to your opinion. I am not trying to prove or disprove the existance of any god, be it the biblical one or Poseidon. The ancient Greeks had many gods to eplain things that they did not fully understand at that time. Now we know better.....dont we?

As for asteroids, they too have been the cause of tsunamis, but they were not sent here from god. I did not say that I doubted that possibility. It has happened in the past and will happen again in the future. They are a natural events albeit not from this world. :)

edit, to add. by the way, the reason most asteroids or other space debris falls into the oceans is because there is more water to land in than there is land to hit. Therefore, mathematically speaking, the chances of it hitting the ocean is far greater than it hitting land. It has nothing to do with any gods intervention. I believe it is inevitable that at some point in the future, something fairly large from space will dump itself on a populated area. Unless of course Posiedon jumps up and prods it with his trident :)

Edited by Englishgent

"If I do too much people lose the will to act for themselves, if I do too little people lose hope. But if I do it just right no one knows whether I've acted at all" God in Futurama.

That actually makes a lot of sense. From a divine perspective at least. lol

Lol this warped sense of an "act of god". If this was an act of God, what a cruel, sadistic, horrible entity he is.

Lol this warped sense of an "act of god". If this was an act of God, what a cruel, sadistic, horrible entity he is.

Not from the Greek's point of view, saviour or spawn? Seems to me we as humans are the ones that continue to do all the killing, no matter what god we seem to credit as either or both? Ask yourself this, do you think any God or creating ET for that matter would really support the idea of mankind continuing to slaughter the living sheep skin out of each other all the time? Would you want your kids to wipe each other out and blame you? Cruel, yeah no doubt, but that would be us, not God. If you don't think so, take another look throughout history. Greed, hate, and lust for more of anothers, that is what fuels war. Blaming one or the others 'god' no matter what you call him or her, doesn't change that fact. Seems to me somethings never change. However, sometimes God gets fed up all right, and sometimes he puts a stop to everything and rocks the whole world as result, whether anyone believes it or not. Sodom and Gomorrah is a good example, not to mention the rest of that 'Atlantean' civilization, the ancient Mesapotamians, Babel, the Olmec culture... Yeah you're right Englishman and thanks for your opinion. All hell would (and may) break loose, if brimstone reigns down from the heavens again, no matter who sends it along the way.

It could be noted that in addition to the Sea, earthquakes were also the province of Poseidon.

Edited by Conrad Clough

When you consider the opportunity and power God had to really do a job, and look at the stupid ugly mess He made of things instead, the sheer incompetence is almost staggering!

When you consider the opportunity and power God had to really do a job, and look at the stupid ugly mess He made of things instead, the sheer incompetence is almost staggering!

God created the world perfect, and mankind as well. Free will was the choice Adam and Eve made to screw up the entire world and the future of humanity as well. God didn't want it that way. He just let's us keep making our own mistakes, not to mention. Death doesn't exist on other worlds, and a hundred and twenty years is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity, even if realizing this doens't ease any pain now.

It's hard to understand why the mess remains on this planet. I know, I don't get it either. However, blaming God will not change or help anything, today, That much I can tell you from experience.

cant stop thinking of the famous movie series of the unfortunate ship Poseidon.

God created the world perfect, and mankind as well. Free will was the choice Adam and Eve made to screw up the entire world and the future of humanity as well. God didn't want it that way. He just let's us keep making our own mistakes, not to mention. Death doesn't exist on other worlds, and a hundred and twenty years is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity, even if realizing this doens't ease any pain now.

It's hard to understand why the mess remains on this planet. I know, I don't get it either. However, blaming God will not change or help anything, today, That much I can tell you from experience.

It's like giving a toddler a loaded gun, and then saying it is his free will to use it or not.

You would be a bad parent if you really did this.

But God, God is cool when he experiments with his 'flock' like that.

Yeah...