Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Long lost pages of 'Book of the Dead' found

Still Waters

There seems to be some confusion here. The Egyptian Book of the Dead has nothing to do with Voodoo, Wicca, witches, sorcery, necromancy, or raising the dead. No ancient Egyptian would've believed he could recite spells from the Book of the Dead and raise someone from the grave. That's not what it was for.

To the Egyptians it wasn't even called Book of the Dead—that's it's modern appellation. The Egyptians called this text prt m hrw, "Going forth" or "Coming forth by day." The Book of the Dead was specifically designed to bring the soul of the deceased safely into the Duat (underworld) and to aid him or her upon reaching it to have a safe and joyous afterlife. The myriad of spells is not about life but afterlife (although occasionally household spells have been found in some copies of the text).

I think people confuse the real Book of the Dead with the version of it from Brendan Fraser's The Mummy movies. Those were damn entertaining films (I have them on DVD at home) but no one should mistake them for historical documentaries. As I joke with people in tours I give: I promise, you can sit around and read Books of the Dead all day long and they won't bring a single mummy back to life.

Which brings up a critical point, and it's a problem I have with Kemeticists (modern people who think they're practicing and living the ancient pharaonic religion). To the ancient Egyptians the spoken word was extremely powerful. Another name for the Book of the Dead in the actual ancient language provides the suffix rw nw before prt m hrw The rw nw portion is usually translated as "The spells of" or "The book of" but in the ancient tongue would more literally mean "Recitations of." This implies the act of speaking or reciting the spells, and many of the spells in the text probably did figure into a person's funeral rituals. In other words, it was critical to recite spells properly and accurately. Yet the humorous thing to me is, we don't know how a lot of the language was pronounced due to the absence of vowels in the ancient Egyptian scripts. So Kemeticists and Wiccans and other modern New Agers who think they can use ancient Egyptian spells are rather fooling themselves, because they can't possibly know how the spells were properly pronounced. And modern English is not an appropriate substitute. :lol:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kmt_sesh

• questionmark

• Simbi Laveau

• ShadowSot

There seems to be some confusion here. The Egyptian Book of the Dead has nothing to do with Voodoo, Wicca, witches, sorcery, necromancy, or raising the dead. No ancient Egyptian would've believed he could recite spells from the Book of the Dead and raise someone from the grave. That's not what it was for.

To the Egyptians it wasn't even called Book of the Dead—that's it's modern appellation. The Egyptians called this text prt m hrw, "Going forth" or "Coming forth by day." The Book of the Dead was specifically designed to bring the soul of the deceased safely into the Duat (underworld) and to aid him or her upon reaching it to have a safe and joyous afterlife. The myriad of spells is not about life but afterlife (although occasionally household spells have been found in some copies of the text).

I think people confuse the real Book of the Dead with the version of it from Brendan Fraser's The Mummy movies. Those were damn entertaining films (I have them on DVD at home) but no one should mistake them for historical documentaries. As I joke with people in tours I give: I promise, you can sit around and read Books of the Dead all day long and they won't bring a single mummy back to life.

Which brings up a critical point, and it's a problem I have with Kemeticists (modern people who think they're practicing and living the ancient pharaonic religion). To the ancient Egyptians the spoken word was extremely powerful. Another name for the Book of the Dead in the actual ancient language provides the suffix rw nw before prt m hrw The rw nw portion is usually translated as "The spells of" or "The book of" but in the ancient tongue would more literally mean "Recitations of." This implies the act of speaking or reciting the spells, and many of the spells in the text probably did figure into a person's funeral rituals. In other words, it was critical to recite spells properly and accurately. Yet the humorous thing to me is, we don't know how a lot of the language was pronounced due to the absence of vowels in the ancient Egyptian scripts. So Kemeticists and Wiccans and other modern New Agers who think they can use ancient Egyptian spells are rather fooling themselves, because they can't possibly know how the spells were properly pronounced. And modern English is not an appropriate substitute. :lol:

Fascinating AND factual. This is why I LOVE UM. Thanks!

That's what I thought. Thanks Kmt!

That's what I thought. Thanks Kmt!

No,I never said it had anything to do with Wicca or voodoo,but some sects of rosecruians,use it for rituals.

I have even heard of free masons having and understanding of it.

As I said,this goes on,as far as I know,I have nothing to do with it,personally.

Parts of the writings,are said to have magical powers,depending upon who you talk to.

I know it's done,I know a person or two into it,and that's about the extent of what I meant.

But my understanding was,its all done in steps,and it has to do with certain gods,levels the soul goes thru,and body parts have separate souls ?

Im pretty sure.If new pages are added,this will change how certain groups,have used this information,for years.

That's ALL I meant by my comment.

No,I never said it had anything to do with Wicca or voodoo,but some sects of rosecruians,use it for rituals.

I have even heard of free masons having and understanding of it.

As I said,this goes on,as far as I know,I have nothing to do with it,personally.

Parts of the writings,are said to have magical powers,depending upon who you talk to.

I know it's done,I know a person or two into it,and that's about the extent of what I meant.

But my understanding was,its all done in steps,and it has to do with certain gods,levels the soul goes thru,and body parts have separate souls ?

Im pretty sure.If new pages are added,this will change how certain groups,have used this information,for years.

That's ALL I meant by my comment.

I'm really not trying to pick on you or single you out, Simbi. I am only responding to the things you've stated your friends or acquaintances have told you about the spells in the Book of the Dead. I can guarantee you, what you're sharing that you've learned from them, is nothing like how the Egyptians themselves knew the Book of the Dead. I know how Rosicrucians are big into ritual and symbolism but they are not well versed in the history and religion of ancient Egypt. Their own writings testify to that (e.g., read up on some of their beliefs about the Great Pyramid). I am not aware that Masons incorporate the Book of the Dead into their order in any fashion, although the occasional ancient Egyptian symbol is used.

The Book of the Dead is indeed about a journey of the soul, but it cannot happen until death has taken the body. Period. The ba is released from the physical form and must go on this journey, which is extremely dangerous. In ancient Egyptian thought every individual possessed numerous "divine elements" (my term) and some of them have been translated as "soul" or "spirit" for expediency, because no modern language can precisely translate these words (e.g, ka, ba, akh). But it was not believed that each body part possessed a soul; however, in certain Book of the Dead spells, individual body parts are equated to specific deities.

It's not my intent to force a lecture on everyone about the Book of the Dead. I'm just trying to establish my point about how ancient religions like that in pharaonic Egypt are frequently embraced but misused by modern New Age sects. I'll shut up now. :blush:

Editing to add: I love that mummy-hand candle, by the way!

Edited by kmt_sesh

My uncle says you can raise the dead with it. He's been in the field for 80 years.

:rolleyes:

My uncle says you can raise the dead with it. He's been in the field for 80 years.

:w00t: You're a bad boy, Myles.

But the bigger question is, did you raise your uncle with it?

Hmm...

But seriously, claiming to raise dead with the book of the same is like claiming that by reciting the Lords Prayer you get you daily food without moving a finger....

They just discovered this in 2012?!All I can say is "Well played Myans... well played..."

They just discovered this in 2012?!All I can say is "Well played Myans... well played..."

Loving this! Those sneaky lil' Mayans!

:tu: Loving this! Those sneaky lil' Mayans!

And the HAITIANS can raise the dead,they're called Zombies.Whoever believes this book I reckon is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

And the HAITIANS can raise the dead,they're called Zombies.Whoever believes this book I reckon is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

Since Zombies are real I suppose it's a good thing some colleges are offering zombie apocalypse survival courses!

Since Zombies are real I suppose it's a good thing some colleges are offering zombie apocalypse survival courses!

Gee you are" pulling my leg", as we say,or "winding me up", (28 days Later) eh !!

Gee you are" pulling my leg", as we say,or "winding me up", (28 days Later) eh !!

Ironically, no, they really are offering these classes in some schools. Where should we sign up?

Ironically, no, they really are offering these classes in some schools. Where should we sign up?

College Class on Zombie Survival

However, please note there does not appear to be a class on how to survive resurrected vengeful mummies. They're not the same thing as zombies. Mummies are a lot drier and crumblier.

However, please note there does not appear to be a class on how to survive resurrected vengeful mummies. They're not the same thing as zombies. Mummies are a lot drier and crumblier.

Don't forget that mummies do exist in some form.

That's easy: kill it with fire.

I wonder what bizarre occurrence there will be when the book is complete!

Mummy,Mummy, I've just seen a Zombie,can I play with it...No dear you cant play with dead people...AAARRRGGGH !

I wonder what bizarre occurrence there will be when the book is complete!

Don't they already have complete copies of the Book of the Dead? It's just a news story because of the the antiquity of this copy.

Don't they already have complete copies of the Book of the Dead? It's just a news story because of the the antiquity of this copy.

There are many complete copies of the Book of the Dead, scattered all over the world now. No two copies are identical. This text wasn't like something churned off a printing press, nor was the religion of pharaonic Egypt dogmatic and canonized, so things like the Book of the Dead were never really standardized. The text came quite close to standardization in the Saite Period (Dynasty 26) but still Books of the Dead from that period show variations.

No single Book of the Dead possesses all of the possible spells, which number more than 180. Most have some version of the most important spells like the weighing of the heart, while some contain spells that most other examples do not. And of course new spells were added along the way. In other words, individual examples of Books of the Dead tended to be at least somewhat specific to the people for whom they were composed.

i thought the book of dead are supposed to raise up the dead?

Only in the movies.

i thought the book of dead are supposed to raise up the dead?

Kindly read the rest of the thread before posting.