Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient virus DNA thrives in us

Still Waters

Traces of ancient viruses which infected our ancestors millions of years ago are more widespread in us than previously thought.

A study shows how extensively viruses from as far back as the dinosaur era still thrive in our genetic material.

It sheds light on the origins of a big proportion of our genetic material, much of which is still not understood.

The scientists investigated the genomes of 38 mammals including humans, mice, rats, elephants and dolphins.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Hope this isn't something scientists can turn into a potentially deadly weapon.

• Like 1

You and me both. I say we just research it and avoid trying to "use" it, no matter what the intentions are.

• Like 1

Without knowing, I am sure they could with a lot of effort. But chances are that it would be so much work that already existing bio weapons candidates would be the obvious winners. Frankly, the corner of my brain that is supposed to deal with worrying has very little room for this particular worry ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Absolutely right..

Doubtful, since this would be from descendants of people who survived these diseases and likely have innate immunities. Most likely modern diseases are as deadly or worse in comparison to ancient ones. Ebola for example.

So yea, us dutchies will prolly take it, mutate it around a bit, and stock another pandemic weapon in our secret world domination lab. :devil:

Wow, very interesting indeed.

Interesting. Amazing something so small can exist for so long. This, in my opinion, is the kind of thing they will find still surviving on Mars, proving there was once organic life there.

They have websites for that.

As long as you don't click the link.....

It's SPAM.

As long as you don't click the link.....

It's SPAM.

Oh great! I did not click the link, I just thought it was an idiot.

How old is cancer? Is this worse?

How old is cancer? Is this worse?

We've found dinosaur remains with cancer. It's also not one thing,it's many, many things and varies from easily treatable to untreatable depending on the type and location and person it's in.

These are marks left in us by diseases our ancestors were exposed to. Could range from a cold up to a potential for why humans bottle necked at various points. (Last isn't terribly likely, but an example.)