Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plans for asteroid mining emerge

Still Waters

Details have been emerging of the plan by billionaire entrepreneurs to mine asteroids for their resources.

The multi-million-dollar plan would use robotic spacecraft to squeeze chemical components of fuel and minerals such as platinum and gold out of the rocks.

The founders include film director and explorer James Cameron as well as Google's chief executive Larry Page and its executive chairman Eric Schmidt.

They even aim to create a fuel depot in space by 2020.

However, several scientists have responded with scepticism, calling the plan daring, difficult and highly expensive.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• catfishyeah

• Still Waters

• DoesntReallyLike

It sounds cool but they would have to min some pretty lucrative materials to make it worth the trip. Plus I hope James Cameron's mining ships don't bring back any aliens :ph34r:

is anyone eles sick of hearing all these plans that never happen?they landed on the moon 50 years ago they were gonna land on mars 30 years ago before i was born ,

im over it talk is cheap.

there's a cheap and easy way to mine asteroid but a bit danger .

"rather than mining in space , we can bring it into earth for as long as we able to it slow down when it descend ."

this method is possible with our current technology

Edited by kobolds

Hope these guys live to a ripe old age,it's gonna be years before these guys see any money back.That is if there is any money to be made using current technology.

is anyone eles sick of hearing all these plans that never happen?they landed on the moon 50 years ago they were gonna land on mars 30 years ago before i was born ,

im over it talk is cheap.

Talk is cheap Reggie, but ideas have to star somewhere, what is common practice today was always just an idea at some point.

It might be a long way off but as my son would say it sounds "Awesome!!!!"

I agree that everything starts off as an Idea, but to be fair there is a point regardless of how long it takes where you have to act and not twiddle your thumbs and play with yourself.

If there is in fact useful materials on Asteroids for us, then it could well in fact be worth the time and effort.

I think it's wonderful that they're going to mine asteroids. Besides, perhaps there's precious gems and minerals on the asteroids that we have yet to find and learn about that aren't here?

Hows this for an idea? Sure we could mine asteroids, but should we? I remember hearing this phrase from many people (and a game I play). "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." What if this whole thing becomes worthless? we find nothing but the common rock in asteroids? Looks like we just wasted time, and money that could've been spent on something more productive.

What if this whole thing becomes worthless? we find nothing but the common rock in asteroids? Looks like we just wasted time, and money that could've been spent on something more productive.

We already know that many asteroids are rich in valuable metals particularly iron. Most meteorites which reach the earth's surface originated in the asteroid belt. Using spectroscopy we can identify these metal rich asteroids from earth.

True. It's just one of the many possibilities in the continuum shift.

True. It's just one of the many possibilities in the continuum shift.

Actually no it isn't.

The beauty of science is that it relys on evidence and knowledge, not belief and guess work. We won't be picking asteroids at random and then getting disappointed when there is nothing there. We will be targeting asteroids where we know there is a return to be made.

Hows this for an idea? Sure we could mine asteroids, but should we? I remember hearing this phrase from many people (and a game I play). "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." What if this whole thing becomes worthless? we find nothing but the common rock in asteroids? Looks like we just wasted time, and money that could've been spent on something more productive.

As waspie said we can already determine what kinds of metals are in an asteriod. For instance we know of one asteriod that contains more gold in it than what we have mined from the earth in all of human history. The problem then becomes ok we can mine asteroids for all these rare metals however now they are no longer as rare so the price falls out.

• 3 weeks later...

Read "Mining the Sky" by John S Lewis it tells how it can be done.

• 6 months later...