Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK economy in double-dip recession.....

keithisco

The UK is wholly dependent on the most fragile of Foreign Investment... namely the Service Sector. Whether it be Insurance, Long term Futures etc.

There is not the Manufacturing and Industrial base anymore, these have been sold down the river by consecutive Governments (all Colours) by PM's and Ministers that do not have a clue, and neither have they the Industrial Experience to really understand the importance of their decisions.

Isnt it time to elect a Government where the leader has got dirt on his hands from real labouring?

Unfortunately NONE of the main Political Leaders has done a proper day at work.... just look at the coalition leaders, what a bunch of chinless wonders they are!!! Cameron and his "Puppet" Clegg - seriously, just who do they represent. As for Labour - dont even go there, talk about selling the Family Silver for a moment of glory.

Minor rant over - sort out the Bankers and you will sort out the problems IMO

The UK economy has returned to recession, after shrinking by 0.2% in the first three months of 2012.

A sharp fall in construction output was behind the surprise contraction, the Office for National Statistics said.

A recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of contraction. The economy shrank by 0.3% in the fourth quarter of 2011.

BBC economics editor Stephanie Flanders says it "adds to the picture that the economy is bumping along the bottom".

She said economic output was slightly smaller now than it was in the autumn of 2010.

Sorry, forgot link to article

Thanks to BBC

Edited by keithisco

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• keithisco

• questionmark

• Space Commander Travis

• Taun

Top Posters In This Topic

Not unexpected, and precisely that is what I meant with: some have no reason to express glee at Greece.

Not unexpected, and precisely that is what I meant with: some have no reason to express glee at Greece.

Why have glee at Greece? It is a member of the eurozone and as such demands the same respect from the ECB.

Considering what Greece has given the world , I think a little lassitude is warranted....

i don't know much about Economics*, but I do think a Double Dip Recession sounds like a kind of ice cream, don't you? Something like Mint and Chocolate, I'd like.

* But then, neither does George Osborne

Why have glee at Greece? It is a member of the eurozone and as such demands the same respect from the ECB.

Considering what Greece has given the world , I think a little lassitude is warranted....

Oh, that was aimed at somebody very specific... :devil:

Oh, that was aimed at somebody very specific... :devil:

me by any chance? :rofl:

the UK has slipped a bit but by god it hasn't gone ass over head like Greece and half of the euro zone. we might be in recession but were still helping bailout euro countries and contributing more £ to the IMF. truth is we'll be fine, most people wouldn't even notice we were in recession if it wasn't on the news. one thing is for sure this world wide money problem will come to an end and the boom times will be here once again. then a decade or two later we'll be back in a credit/cash crisis, just goes in bloody cycles. its remarkable. were just strapped in and along for the ride.

the UK has slipped a bit but by god it hasn't gone ass over head like Greece and half of the euro zone. we might be in recession but were still helping bailout euro countries and contributing more £ to the IMF. truth is we'll be fine, most people wouldn't even notice we were in recession if it wasn't on the news. one thing is for sure this world wide money problem will come to an end and the boom times will be here once again. then a decade or two later we'll be back in a credit/cash crisis, just goes in bloody cycles. its remarkable. were just strapped in and along for the ride.

Lets way three more month...

Can't say i've noticed much of a recession tbh...fuel bills are slightly higher, but beyond that it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I keep being told it will be. Good time to get a bargain at the moment though!

Like you say, it'll turn round, always does...perhaps if they didn't keep playing things down on the news some confidence might return and turn things round quicker....(yesterdays figures are disputed anyway, been better off just saying nothing)

Like you say, it'll turn round, always does...perhaps if they didn't keep playing things down on the news some confidence might return and turn things round quicker

The reason is that "good news doesn't sell newspapers" - as the old quote goes...

Bad news gets the ratings, and thereby the money... If things were going along perfectly, with no national problems, everyone happy and content the news services would die...

Can't say i've noticed much of a recession tbh...fuel bills are slightly higher, but beyond that it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I keep being told it will be. Good time to get a bargain at the moment though!

Like you say, it'll turn round, always does...perhaps if they didn't keep playing things down on the news some confidence might return and turn things round quicker....(yesterdays figures are disputed anyway, been better off just saying nothing)

Like i always say, things go up, things go down. Things have gone up before, things have gone down before. Apocalyptic end-of-time predictions rarely come to pass. It's a bit like the Climate.

Personally speaking, i'm better off financially after making a few changes than i was this time last year.

Honestly?... I see no difference in Spain, which makes me think that the Money Moguls, and the US Ratings Agencies , are just a pile of Dog D"""""". IMO

Edited by keithisco

Not only have some economists expressed doubt about the view of the Office for National Statistics (ONS) that the UK is in a double-dip recession but if Britain IS in a double-dip recession then, at the moment, that's all it is. It is merely a double dip and not, at the moment, a full-blown recession like the last one.

Ever since Britain came out of recession there have been some quarters of growth and some quarters of shrinking. But, up until now, there has never been two successive quarters of shrinking. Now all that's happening is we've just so happened to have two successive quarters of shrinking but, for all we know, the next three quarters might see growth again.

So Britain is NOT in a full-blown recession as things stand and, in my view, will not go back into one.

Not only that, but the UK economy is being dragged down by the Eurozone economy, which is right on our doorstep. When you are situated right next to the Western World's most sclerotic economic area then you are bound to suffer.

One reason why the US is doing so well at the moment is that it's well away from the Eurozone tortoise.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun