Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How To Prove You’ve Been Abducted by Aliens

Still Waters

Do I believe in UFOs or extraterrestrial visitors? Where shall I begin?

There's a fascinating frailty of the human mind that psychologists know all about, called "argument from ignorance." This is how it goes. Remember what the "U" stands for in "UFO"? You see lights flashing in the sky.You've never seen anything like this before and don't understand what it is. You say, "It's a UFO!" The "U" stands for "unidentified."

But then you say, "I don't know what it is; it must be aliens from outer space, visiting from another planet. " The issue here is that if you don't know what something is, your interpretation of it should stop immediately.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Great article, spot on.

Yes, he seems to hit several nails squarely on the head.

Imo, it was full of ignorance, just some guy ranting away.

Anything in the article you would like to point out as being ignorant? I admittedly found it a rather well written article.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Anything in the article you would like to point out as being ignorant? I admittedly found it a rather well written article.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Yeap. Calling Neil deGrasse Tyson as being ignorant is... ignorance.

"where of course the aliens do their sex experiments on you" thumbsup.gif

We all know where the Aliens do there sex experiments ! On the SOFA ! just Ask Bee ! :wacko:

• Like 1

Yeah, ignorant is certainly not a label I would pin on Neil deGrasse Tyson - for obvious reasons one would think.

Cheers,

Badeskov

made sense to me.. not sure what anyone would have issues with.

'Unidentified'.You forget to include that it is visible (evidence) as a 'flying object' to a large number of people who have seen them-with physical organs called eyes....Therefore they become eye witnesses to it..since you haven't experienced it. You lack the understanding which the mind goes through as it sees something unknown to its reality :)... The word 'unidentified is to satisfy the fact that we know nothing or less about it. Please be careful when you put judgments on such cases. A few experiments on the human Mind... Done by mere humans who have no appreciation to the fact that the fields they specialize in are actually of foreign(outer space/dimensional) knowledge about Us and that of the universe. Science Which has been both Mans progress and seemingly his downfall... Cannot accept a certain degree of reality that surpasses HUMAN thought... Its only strange due to the fact we have lost such accounts in history... The Egyptions Worshiped such beings of high intellect who are able to build such technologically advanced objects that p*** on the laws of gravity. Using psychology to dismiss abductions is like using science to explain philosophy? Philosophy created science... In return science created theory. Since philosophy has no limits of thought or perception. Science breaks it into a more scrutinized form... To explain phenomena but not permit it to transcend through sentient matters. I will end there for now. Disclosing my age is only me trying to appeal to you that I AM LEARNIG... So consider your ways of Judgment - 18 . Thank you oh lol so I guess if you were abducted. Realizing you seeing something you have never ever imagined before possible . Not only is it strange. It may cause harm.. At that moment your mind is adjusting to such scenes,,, tell me would you honestly have the time to steal evidence to satisfy the fact that you got abducted and used as experiment??? Really??? Lol than I think in horror movies when the guy sees the monster for the first time he should pick its eyes out for evidence... Cause nobody is gonna believe him if he runs away.... Gosh with NO EVIDENCE... Ah ahhh!

I don't agree with Tyson on this issue.

For one thing the point of Science in general is to explain the observable universe that surrounds us, so if people observe UFOs then that really is the point of Science to explain what people are seeing.

He talked about how 'witness testimony' is soo bad. But is it when we are NOT talking about 'witnesses' to crimes in a Court setting? I've just been discussing that on another UM Thread.

See that discussion begining here... http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225475&view=findpost&p=4272881

He says amateur astronomers UFO sightings are lower, and this is true Surveys of REAL Astronomers over the last decades show that Astronomers report seeing UFOs as a percentage just slightly lower by a few percentage points than the General Public. He say's this is because of familiarity with the sky. OK so what's the point? They still see UFO's just at a slightly lower percentage. That might be explained by familiarity with the sky or maybe just a lower willingness to say they've seen a UFO or potentially other different factors or combinations of factors.It could be that a few percent of the Public are over eager to say they've seen a UFO; how does Tyson know what causes the slight difference?

Why does he go on about 'abductees' grabbing an "ashtray"? Susan Clancy showed 'abductees' were suffering from Sleep Paralysis years ago now, why doesn't Tyson know this? It's strange. I have to wonder what audience he means to reach here with this.

The whole article and Tyson's veiws are odd. In Hessdalen for example, there was a massive UFO flap in the early 1980's. Scientists said 'why don't we go see what all the fuss is about and take our instruments and study the Valley?'. They did. They found UFO's just as the witnesses there were reporting. Now three decades later they know that 95% of the 'unknowns' they found over this time seem to be a previously undocumented Atmospheric plasma phenomena! That is intersting, it shows Science works. That would not have happened if it were not for the 'witnesses' in the Valley reporting the UFO's. Again I ask is Tyson unaware of this?

Tyson seems like he has an Anti-UFO agenda and wants to make a point that somehow Science has no obligation to understand what people see. I completely disagree with that POV no matter who may hold it.

So yeah, I don't see eye-to-eye on UFO's with Neil Degrasse Tyson, otherwise I like him and tend to agree with him on lots of the other things he tends to discuss.

For anyone who doesn't want to read the article, it can be summed up in the following sentence:

"We don't have any tangible evidence that proves UFOs and / or aliens exist."

That is really all the article amounts to. And for the most part I don't think many would disagree with that - whether they happen to believe in UFOs / aliens or not.

The author even states within the article:

"I'm not saying we haven't been visited; I'm saying the evidence brought forth thus far does not satisfy the standards of evidence that any scientist would require for any other claim."

So what else is new?

'Unidentified'.You forget to include that it is visible (evidence) as a 'flying object' to a large number of people who have seen them-with physical organs called eyes....Therefore they become eye witnesses to it..since you haven't experienced it. You lack the understanding which the mind goes through as it sees something unknown to its reality :)... The word 'unidentified is to satisfy the fact that we know nothing or less about it. Please be careful when you put judgments on such cases. A few experiments on the human Mind... Done by mere humans who have no appreciation to the fact that the fields they specialize in are actually of foreign(outer space/dimensional) knowledge about Us and that of the universe. Science Which has been both Mans progress and seemingly his downfall... Cannot accept a certain degree of reality that surpasses HUMAN thought... Its only strange due to the fact we have lost such accounts in history... The Egyptions Worshiped such beings of high intellect who are able to build such technologically advanced objects that p*** on the laws of gravity. Using psychology to dismiss abductions is like using science to explain philosophy? Philosophy created science... In return science created theory. Since philosophy has no limits of thought or perception. Science breaks it into a more scrutinized form... To explain phenomena but not permit it to transcend through sentient matters. I will end there for now. Disclosing my age is only me trying to appeal to you that I AM LEARNIG... So consider your ways of Judgment - 18 . Thank you oh lol so I guess if you were abducted. Realizing you seeing something you have never ever imagined before possible . Not only is it strange. It may cause harm.. At that moment your mind is adjusting to such scenes,,, tell me would you honestly have the time to steal evidence to satisfy the fact that you got abducted and used as experiment??? Really??? Lol than I think in horror movies when the guy sees the monster for the first time he should pick its eyes out for evidence... Cause nobody is gonna believe him if he runs away.... Gosh with NO EVIDENCE... Ah ahhh!

I must applaud you. I myself would find it very difficult to write such a large paragraph which made absolutely no sense whatsoever, bravo.

• Like 1

I particularly liked this nugget :-

"The Egyptions Worshiped such beings of high intellect who are able to build such technologically advanced objects that p*** on the laws of gravity."

'technologically advance' objects made of natural stone blocks with no windows built in a tomb like design.......amazing.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

So Mr Tyson says:

Here's something else to consider. We know-not only from research experiments in psychology but also from the history of science-that the lowest form of evidence is eyewitness testimony. Which is scary, because in a court of law it's considered one of the highest forms of evidence

he is in fact saying that whether its the lowest form or highest form of evidence...bottom line is- its still evidence. We are constantly told that eyewitness testimony is not scientific evidence, yet we see Tyson saying it IS evidence even in the scientific world, just the lowest form. :yes:

he then goes on to say:

Have you all played telephone? Everybody lines up; one person starts with a story and tells it to you; you hear it and then repeat it to the next person; the next person then passes it along. What happens by the time you get to the last person, who now retells the story to everybody who's heard it already? It's completely different, right? That's because the conveyance of information has relied on eyewitness testimony-or, in this case, earwitness testimony

how does an eyewitness seeing something and reporting it as they saw it have anything to do with many people lined up playing chinese whispers...very poor comparison IMO. Lets take any UM members sighting, now when they explain/describe what they saw this is not the same as them telling me, me then telling someone else and so on....this would create an inaccurate description and be prone to the problems of 'chinese whispers. I guess he is bordering on a strawman argument here.

he then says:

So here's what I recommend for the next time you're abducted into a flying saucer. You're there on the slab, where of course the aliens do their sex experiments on you, and they're poking you with their instruments. Here's what you do. Yell out to the alien who's probing you, "Hey! Look over there!" And when the alien looks over there, you quickly snatch something off his shelf-an ashtray, anything-put it in your pocket, and lie back down. Then when your encounter is over and done with, you come to my lab and say, "Look what I stole from the flying saucer!" Once you bring the gizmo to the lab, the issue is no longer about eyewitness testimony, because you'll have an object of alien manufacture-and anything you pull off a flying saucer that crossed the galaxy is bound to be interesting.

no s**t sherlock....I guess this is where the 'ignorant' comment came from another member. This whole paragraph by Tyson is quite insulting if you ask me, if people are having these experiences (and quite a few are and they are not lying, they actually believe what they say) then surely there must be an explanation. I guess LS has put forth some form of an explanation which could well account for a majority.

so once someone brings in a piece of saucer to him it is no longer about eye witness testimony...wow thanks for that now we know :w00t:

finally :

Many people, including all the amateur astronomers in the world, spend a lot of time looking up. We walk out of a building, we look up. Doesn't matter what's happening, we're looking up. Yet UFO sightings are not higher among amateur astronomers than they are among the general public. In fact, they're lower. Why is that so? Because we know sky phenomena. It's what we study.

well ummm yes Sherlock, this wasnt that difficult to deduce was it? ofcourse astronomers would be able to identify a lot more than the average man on the street so naturally this figure would be lower....I assume he has a point somewhere in here...or was he just stating the obvious again?

edit to add: From Lost Shamans post : Tyson seems like he has an Anti-UFO agenda and wants to make a point that somehow Science has no obligation to understand what people see. I completely disagree with that POV no matter who may hold it.

I agree with this observation

Edited by quillius

Well Lost Shaman and Q hit most of it. I just thought it was going be something different from the title of it. The only thing that had to do with the title was a small paragraph which sound like a joke.

I had no clue it was written by him. And here I thought it was the ramblings of some college kid. I will admit I am a very ignorant human being.

[...]

I had no clue it was written by him. And here I thought it was the ramblings of some college kid. I will admit I am a very ignorant human being.

Is it so hard to figure out that article chapter from book "has" huge spoon of sarcasm?

Of course the aliens do sex experiments... I'm sure everyone has seen: Two Greys. One waste disposal unit.

:P

Is it so hard to figure out that article chapter from book "has" huge spoon of sarcasm?

No it is not.