Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteorites from giant fireball found

Still Waters

Tiny meteorites found in northern California were part of a giant fireball that exploded over the weekend with about one-third the explosive force of the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima in World War II, scientists said on Wednesday.

The rocks each weighed about 10 grams, or the weight of two nickels, said John T Wasson, a longtime professor and expert in meteorites at UCLA's Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics.

Experts say the flaming meteor, dating to the early formation of the solar system 4 to 5 billion years ago, was probably about the size of a minivan when it entered the Earth's atmosphere with a loud boom early Sunday. It was seen from Sacramento, California, to Las Vegas and parts of northern Nevada.

An event of that size might happen once a year around the world, said Don Yeomans of Nasa's Near-Earth Object Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. But most of them occur over the ocean or an uninhabited area, he said.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• burt_ie

• Ashotep

• DKO

• catfishyeah

Top Posters In This Topic

One time a meteor exploded in the upper atmosphere here at night and for a second or two it was daylight.

One night when I was younger I saw a meteor in the sky, as it broke up it burst into a green fireball. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I also remember seeing one when I was younger It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, nothing like a shooting star. It looked huge like a big ball of fire with a ton of sparks coming from its tail...at the time I was young and my over active imagination made me think aliens were coming! lolz

I really want to see one. It sounds cool to witness explosion and impending doom.