Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S Army floats the idea of a 'magic bullet'

Still Waters

It sounds like something from a science fiction film, but soon, a ‘magic bullet’ that floats around in the air waiting for its target could become science fact.

This far-fetched sounding piece of ammunition isn’t designed to kill, though.

Called ‘Nonlethal Warhead for Miniature Organic Precision Munitions’, there isn’t even a prototype yet - but it’s on the U.S Army’s wish list.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• DieChecker

• Coffey

• Tx-Perkyness

To help incentivize small businesses to outperform those recent disappointments, the Army lists some of the “potential commercial applications” for the non-lethal, loitering bazooka round. And they’re in your backyard: “crowd control for local law enforcement; border protection for Homeland Security; or temporary incapacitation of non violent criminals for local SWAT teams and/or law enforcement.” So if this weapon turns out to be too absurd for the military, there’s always the local police station.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/04/warhead-loiter-nonlethal/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=twitterclickthru

I can envision these "magic bullets" loitering around above us everywhere, just in case a citizen does something the government doesn't like.

Edited by StarMountainKid

I could never visualize the concept they were talking about. The kami kazi drone, I get..but not the floating bullet. I think a cool and very effective non lethal for crowd control would be "$hitter spitter" a benign nerve agent that would cause rowdies to temporarily lose control of bowel and bladder function. :w00t: Bethcha they'd lose interest in the cause for awhile. Of course the die hards would just come prepared in "Depends" :P :P

Wouldn't take much modification to make it lethal.

I hope these magical floating bullets never get made.

Always trying to find new ways to control or suppress people.

I'd rather they spend money on better things that push us forward.

an everyone wonders why we Americans are so hated is it because of are genius to move forward ....or because we are so dumb that other countries want to cut ties too us in fear that aliens might actually attack an wipe out the idiots first

an everyone wonders why we Americans are so hated is it because of are genius to move forward ....or because we are so dumb that other countries want to cut ties too us in fear that aliens might actually attack an wipe out the idiots first

Nah, it makes more sense that the aliens would kill off the intelligent ones first. That should scare all the Liberals to death cause we all know they are the smartest of the bunch :w00t:

I can't honestly think of an American invention that was genius and actually made by an American......

Before WW2 the US's Military Technology was inferiour. Not slightly either, it was really bad. The Sherman Tank is evidence of this. The US was far behind German tech. The US owes it's space program, rockets, atomic program/nuclear program, stealth capabilities, laser technology etc etc to germany and it's Nazi Scientists..... Even a lot of Medical research etc is down to what their war spoils thta they got from Japan and Germany.

Kinda funny when you think about it.

I'm not bashing actual Americans here, I love most Americans. Just not the one who are too up themselves and over patroitic. (So over patroitic they even slag off the Europeans.. when that is essentially what they are.. lol) Which brings me to your point... that is why Americans are so hated. A lot of them come across as ignorant, arrogant and Dumb. Not all, as i said I like a lot of Americans and have a few good friends form the US.

Edited by Coffey

Why bullets? We have drones that can do the same thing, if programmed. Sit on the ground behind bush or whatever and wait. Then, pop up surprise!

I can't honestly think of an American invention that was genius and actually made by an American......

Before WW2 the US's Military Technology was inferiour. Not slightly either, it was really bad. The Sherman Tank is evidence of this. The US was far behind German tech. The US owes it's space program, rockets, atomic program/nuclear program, stealth capabilities, laser technology etc etc to germany and it's Nazi Scientists..... Even a lot of Medical research etc is down to what their war spoils thta they got from Japan and Germany.

Kinda funny when you think about it.

I'm not bashing actual Americans here, I love most Americans. Just not the one who are too up themselves and over patroitic. (So over patroitic they even slag off the Europeans.. when that is essentially what they are.. lol) Which brings me to your point... that is why Americans are so hated. A lot of them come across as ignorant, arrogant and Dumb. Not all, as i said I like a lot of Americans and have a few good friends form the US.

Yep Germans and Austrians.

Non lethal,seems the US government know something that the US tax payer doesn't know.

if this bullet does get made, will we still need snipers or recon units? seeing that the bullet finds the target but is non lethal then its already achieved what most scouts are sent to do the a tomahawk missile can to the rest,

(So over patroitic they even slag off the Europeans.. when that is essentially what they are.. lol)

Anything created by a US citizen was created by an American.

The United States has never in its history been composed of a single race or ethnic group.

Logo theivery!

Sorry but didn't know this avatar was already in use ,oh well too bad i ain't changing it....

Magic bullets? Could it be that the Nox Nyctores Bolverk is real? That must mean that Yukianesa is real also! I gotta spread the news!

The article does not say how the "bullets" are going to "hang around". The article implies that it might use the same type system as the kamakazi drone does, if so, then it is also a kamakazi drone and not a bullet. Bullets are not self propeled, and thus are subject to gravity and fall very quickly to Earth.

I do hope this is some sort of practical joke. Okay, I'm fully aware that elements of the US Department of Defence do have a "thing" for exotic weaponary, but this is going too far, surely? Tell me this sort of technical suggestion isn't being made by a man who is also trying to sell the military special beans that grow very fast....

Now, not entirely sure just how such bullets like this would fubnction, but do have a vision of when these high-tech lumps of ordanance are fired, of seeing bullets floating around waiting for a target that's a bit late for combat. Might we even see a bullet, without a target in sight, catching a bus to deliever its fatal end!

Yeah, I hear you, to many casualties possible. But where would the fun and skill in war go if this did happen? It would be way too easy to do that. Seriously people, yeah magic and psychics are cool, but it doesn't mean we should use it to cheat. In my opinion, we should just scrap guns and go back to the way things use to be. All swords and bows (magic to, if it's real as I believe it is). It would solve a lot of problems with the Ozone Layer, and it shows the true fun and skill in war.

The article does not say how the "bullets" are going to "hang around". The article implies that it might use the same type system as the kamakazi drone does, if so, then it is also a kamakazi drone and not a bullet. Bullets are not self propeled, and thus are subject to gravity and fall very quickly to Earth.

I still don't understand nor can I envision the system they are talking about for this very reason. I've done a little Service Rifle competition and it's amazing what a truly skilled individual can do with the right equipment - in almost any conditions - but this sounds like a physical impossibility as described.