Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Heart shrinking' trial to begin

Still Waters

The technique involves electrically stimulating nerves leading up to the heart, with the hope it will reduce and size and improve life expectancy.

It has already been trialled on rats and dogs, who were found to have been kept alive longer.

The first patient will be operated on next week by surgeons at Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital and The Royal Liverpool University Hospital.

Heart failure affects nearly one million people in the UK and can be the result of high blood pressure, dead heart muscle after a heart attack, or a genetic condition.

http://www.telegraph...e-to-begin.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catfishyeah

• Still Waters

• behaviour???

• Simbi Laveau

http://www.heart-consult.com/articles/210/batista-operation-procedure

Im shocked its even been mentioned in public domain.

The Batista procedure,albeit far from perfect,does have a success rate,to a degree,and yet its unheard of in the USA .I dont know if it's been used in Europe,but given the fact you are destined to die of heart failure anyway,I never got why patients weren't even given the option to try it.

They seem to just prefer to give them unless drugs ,until they just succumb to the hypertrophy .

In the USA at least.

I am not sure if this has got to do anything with the basic fibirilator procedure. But yea, strange! I would love to see the conclusions :(

Wait, if you shrink the heart, couldn't that cause some problems as well?

Wait, if you shrink the heart, couldn't that cause some problems as well?

Well, heart failure is associated with an enlarged heart or an enlarged left ventricle. Shrinking a normal heart would not be a good idea.

I though so. So they're trying to fix one problem with another? Not smart, not smart indeed.

Edited by catfishyeah