Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What color is the Sky?

Roy Perry

God first

thanks everybody

what color do you say the sky is?

science says it not really blue that is only a illusion

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Green

I guess Science has come up with a more better understanding than to say its an 'illusion'. When the white light travels large distances and reach our eyes, all wavelength exceot the blue remain, because theoretically scattering is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the wavelengtha nd blue has the least wavelength. So they get scattered all around and you percieve the sky as blue, where in it really is 'white' the colour of the light coming from the sun. :tu:

God first

thanks HuttonEtAl and behaviour??? and Wearer of Hats

I was watching the "Universe" tonight they said it was red and they named the illusion that made it appear blue

it make me think of asking this question

http://www.history.com/shows/the-universe/videos#universe-strangest-things

Edited by Roy Perry

I've not heard that before.

I have heard bluelight is dispersed most readily in atmopshere, while theother colours don't until they're reflected.

I'm also told thisis horribly simplified, but basically works.

From Phil Plait's blog:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/blue_sky.html

By the time the Sun sets, the light pushes through so much air that even the green and yellow photons get scattered. This makes the Sun look redder at sunrise and sunset. The sky does not look blue near the horizon because more yellow photons (and even orange ones right at sunset) are coming from that direction as they get scattered away from the Sun.

S'only thing I know of.

So to answer your question, what color the sky isdepends on the weather and timeof day in your area. I've seen a yellow sky, a light blue, black, red, and various other colours.

Living in N. Ireland...the sky is usually grey.... Grey clouds everywhere... lol

• Like 1

God first

thanks ShadowSot and Beckys Mom and failturner25

it shock me to hear science saying it was red because the world of art taught me was blue

but to me is still blue unless rain coming or other things

thank you with love of truth no matter who truth and a holy kiss to shock you from Roy

• Like 1

Can anyone watch the video and tell me what this is about? It just doesn't work onmy end at all.

God first

thanks everybody

what color do you say the sky is?

science says it not really blue that is only a illusion

Don't you beleive them Roy. Im In CA and the sky is blue... No doubt. I don't give a rats ass how or why it's blue... Because if it looks blue then it's blue. End of story. Perception of color is a perception... It's blue.

I see the sky blue baby blue, but i guess it depends from where you are.

God first

thanks TheWatcher and ShadowSot and Seeker79 and diablo_04

http://brokensecrets.com/2011/03/07/blue-eyes-are-not-actually-blue/

Blue Eyes Are Not Actually Blue

March 7, 2011 at 2:00 am Chad Upton 7 comments

By Chad Upton | Editor

The most common eye color is brown and the least common is green. Eye color is determined by a number of genes, the actual number of which is unknown. Using six known genes, scientists can predict eye color from brown to blue with 90% accuracy.

The darkness of brown eyes is determined by the amount of melanin (pigment) in them. Blue eyes have little or no melanin, making them translucent; they only appear blue because of an optical illusion known as the Tyndall effect.

blue-eye.jpg?w=455

The color we perceive something to be is usually due to their pigment, but somethings appear colored for other reasons. Structural colors are one classification of colors that occur not because of their pigment but because of the way light interacts with the matter.

Without getting too technical, different colors of light have different wavelengths. When those waves pass through matter, they can be filtered or scattered in different ways. The Tyndall effect occurs when a light scattering particulate is suspended in a light transmitting medium and the size of the individual particulate is slightly below or near that of the visible spectrum of light.

Some things that appear to be colored due to optical effects are: blue jay and peacock feathers, mother of pearl, butterfly wings, beetle shells, bubbles, oil slicks and one we see every day: the sky.

Broken Secrets

• Like 1

Don't you beleive them Roy. Im In CA and the sky is blue... No doubt. I don't give a rats ass how or why it's blue... Because if it looks blue then it's blue. End of story. Perception of color is a perception... It's blue.

I see your point but I like to learn more and why things seem to be they way they are... I like to learn as much as possible ..Just like I pass on useful info to my kid...She too loves to learn.. . And yes that means me learning what some of you find a waste of time.... To me it is not

For example... When I read something like this below....

To answer these questions, we must learn about light, and the Earth's atmosphere.

THE ATMOSPHERE

The atmosphere is the mixture of gas molecules and other materials surrounding the earth. It is made mostly of the gases nitrogen (78%), and oxygen (21%). Argon gas and water (in the form of vapor, droplets and ice crystals) are the next most common things. There are also small amounts of other gases, plus many small solid particles, like dust, soot and ashes, pollen, and salt from the oceans.

The composition of the atmosphere varies, depending on your location, the weather, and many other things. There may be more water in the air after a rainstorm, or near the ocean. Volcanoes can put large amounts of dust particles high into the atmosphere. Pollution can add different gases or dust and soot.

The atmosphere is densest (thickest) at the bottom, near the Earth. It gradually thins out as you go higher and higher up. There is no sharp break between the atmosphere and space.

LIGHT WAVES

Light is a kind of energy that radiates, or travels, in waves. Many different kinds of energy travel in waves. For example, sound is a wave of vibrating air. Light is a wave of vibrating electric and magnetic fields. It is one small part of a larger range of vibrating electromagnetic fields. This range is called the electromagnetic spectrum.

Electromagnetic waves travel through space at 299,792 km/sec (186,282 miles/sec). This is called the speed of light.

WHY IS THE SKY BLUE?

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

As you look closer to the horizon, the sky appears much paler in color. To reach you, the scattered blue light must pass through more air. Some of it gets scattered away again in other directions. Less blue light reaches your eyes. The color of the sky near the horizon appears paler or white.

As I only copied and pasted small parts of the page...More about this in full detial can be read here - > http://www.sciencema...m/sky_blue.html

It didn't take me long to read that above...I read it and think - Cool, I have learned something new.. This was indeed useful to me.. ...Learn something new every day never can do any harm....Well not in my book...It is always useful to learn about our planet... Religion is not going to give you these kind of answers.. Science has to ..and does what it can... So yes it is pretty useful

I hope it has helped anyone else reading.... l meaning those who don't mind learning something .new ....Science is never a waste of time in my pinion...But that's just me :D

Edited by Beckys_Mom

if the sky looks blue it must be blue. unless the whole of humanity is colour blind.

God first

thanks lolly147 and Beckys Mom and tyrant lizard

I too like leaning something new

God first

thanks lolly147 and Beckys Mom and tyrant lizard

I too like leaning something new

I agree with you..I feel the same

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I see your point but I like to learn more and why things seem to be they way they are... I like to learn as much as possible ..Just like I pass on useful info to my kid...She too loves to learn.. . And yes that means me learning what some of you find a waste of time.... To me it is not

For example... When I read something like this below....

To answer these questions, we must learn about light, and the Earth's atmosphere.

THE ATMOSPHERE

The atmosphere is the mixture of gas molecules and other materials surrounding the earth. It is made mostly of the gases nitrogen (78%), and oxygen (21%). Argon gas and water (in the form of vapor, droplets and ice crystals) are the next most common things. There are also small amounts of other gases, plus many small solid particles, like dust, soot and ashes, pollen, and salt from the oceans.

The composition of the atmosphere varies, depending on your location, the weather, and many other things. There may be more water in the air after a rainstorm, or near the ocean. Volcanoes can put large amounts of dust particles high into the atmosphere. Pollution can add different gases or dust and soot.

The atmosphere is densest (thickest) at the bottom, near the Earth. It gradually thins out as you go higher and higher up. There is no sharp break between the atmosphere and space.

LIGHT WAVES

Light is a kind of energy that radiates, or travels, in waves. Many different kinds of energy travel in waves. For example, sound is a wave of vibrating air. Light is a wave of vibrating electric and magnetic fields. It is one small part of a larger range of vibrating electromagnetic fields. This range is called the electromagnetic spectrum.

Electromagnetic waves travel through space at 299,792 km/sec (186,282 miles/sec). This is called the speed of light.

WHY IS THE SKY BLUE?

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

As you look closer to the horizon, the sky appears much paler in color. To reach you, the scattered blue light must pass through more air. Some of it gets scattered away again in other directions. Less blue light reaches your eyes. The color of the sky near the horizon appears paler or white.

As I only copied and pasted small parts of the page...More about this in full detial can be read here - > http://www.sciencema...m/sky_blue.html

It didn't take me long to read that above...I read it and think - Cool, I have learned something new.. This was indeed useful to me.. ...Learn something new every day never can do any harm....Well not in my book...It is always useful to learn about our planet... Religion is not going to give you these kind of answers.. Science has to ..and does what it can... So yes it is pretty useful

I hope it has helped anyone else reading.... l meaning those who don't mind learning something .new ....Science is never a waste of time in my pinion...But that's just me :D

Excellent that's my point. The sky is not really red but just looks blue. If it looks orange because if wild fires it's orange. If it looks blue because of physics it's blue. A color is a perception.

if the sky looks blue it must be blue. unless the whole of humanity is colour blind.

Exactly.

Excellent that's my point. The sky is not really red but just looks blue. If it looks orange because if wild fires it's orange. If it looks blue because of physics it's blue. A color is a perception.

My point is ...Your attitude was - you don't give a rats as* WHY it is blue.. I was pointing out that we all are not like that, many of us will want to learn why and what about these sort of things.... What looks blue but isn't really blue... is interesting to find out why this is ... So my post was not agreeing with you directly...It was showing that learning is the key and interesting for a lot of people... I know not all will care to learn but so many will.. It depends on the person and the subject I guess

You agree with the person that said If it look blue then it must be blue, we'd be color blind if we cannot know this you said in agreement - Exactly.. Which in a way is wrong.. Because it is not really blue.. it only looks that way due to light..The less blue light that reaches you, it will not look as blue .. more to a clear color..It is not exactly blue in color... You quoted a long post of mine that had this info in it

Edited by Beckys_Mom

My point is ...Your attitude was - you don't give a rats as* WHY it is blue.. I was pointing out that we all are not like that, many of us will want to learn why and what about these sort of things.... What looks blue but isn't really blue... is interesting to find out why this is ... So my post was not agreeing with you directly...It was showing that learning is the key and interesting for a lot of people... I know not all will care to learn but so many will.. It depends on the person and the subject I guess

You agree with the person that said If it look blue then it must be blue, we'd be color blind if we cannot know this you said in agreement - Exactly.. Which in a way is wrong.. Because it is not really blue.. it only looks that way due to light..The less blue light that reaches you, it will not look as blue .. more to a clear color..It is not exactly blue in color... You quoted a long post of mine that had this info in it

Unfortunatly typed words do not convey the spirit in Which I ment that "rats ass" comment. It was more a pock at how much of science does not give credit to human perception.

By that logic nothing has a color... It just looks that way do to light. It's rediculouse. It dosnt really matter how or why it looks blue. Our minds perceive it as blue. Not that I'm not interested in how or why... But it is completely illogical to say something is not blue when everyone preceives it is as such. Color is a perception, it's preceived as blue... It's blue.

Unfortunatly typed words do not convey the spirit in Which I ment that "rats ass" comment. It was more a pock at how much of science does not give credit to human perception.

By that logic nothing has a color... It just looks that way do to light. It's rediculouse. It dosnt really matter how or why it looks blue. Our minds perceive it as blue. Not that I'm not interested in how or why... But it is completely illogical to say something is not blue when everyone preceives it is as such. Color is a perception, it's preceived as blue... It's blue.

One last post before I head to the hospital...... Seeker.The post didn't say nothing has color ..it only speaks of the sky and why we see it as blue.. Just because it looks blue and we accept it.. Reality is .. it's not blue... We just accept it is blue because of the light.... That is all I am saying...And the info I posted got a few likes, so obviously a few reading found it useful ...So learning these things I guess is helpful... Some will.. some wont

Now I am off.. Please do not take my post personal.. I am just clearing up a few things is all . It would be pointless replying to this because I am off soon to the hospital.. I am gone for a while.... Catch ya later... Cheers

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Depends, what time of day? The sky doesn't have one constant color.

One last post before I head to the hospital...... Seeker.The post didn't say nothing has color ..it only speaks of the sky and why we see it as blue.. Just because it looks blue and we accept it.. Reality is .. it's not blue... We just accept it is blue because of the light.... That is all I am saying...And the info I posted got a few likes, so obviously a few reading found it useful ...So learning these things I guess is helpful... Some will.. some wont

Now I am off.. Please do not take my post personal.. I am just clearing up a few things is all . It would be pointless replying to this because I am off soon to the hospital.. I am gone for a while.... Catch ya later... Cheers

Yeah!!!!! Baby time!!!! Not personal promise :) but trust me I have argued with a pregnant woman on more than a few occasions--- a completely loosing concept. God bless.