Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama pledges end to Afghan war

Still Waters

US President Barack Obama has pledged to "finish the job" and end the Afghan war, addressing the US public live from a military base in Afghanistan.

Speaking a year after Osama Bin Laden's killing, Mr Obama thanked US troops and hailed plans to end combat operations.

He arrived in Kabul on a surprise visit lasting a few hours to sign an accord on future Afghan-US ties with President Hamid Karzai, ahead of a Nato summit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-17917750

I guess he have been doins this right from the moment he was sedated with the scene of the White House and the presidential chair? *sighs*

Well combat in Afghanistan is slowing down and several countries have either withdrawn their troops or will be in the next couple years. I'd say the end is in sight. The Afghan army needs to stand on their own sooner or later. The real question is the political aftermath.

Or did he?

http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/featured/pnr-analysis-obama-has-two-story-versions-on-afghanistan-20120502,0,3002455.story

6:59 a.m. EDT, May 2, 2012

WASHINGTON (AP) — In President Barack Obama’s twin narratives, the United States is both leaving Afghanistan and staying there.

The different messages are meant for different audiences, one at home and one away. As Obama’s brief, symbolic visit to Afghanistan on Wednesday made clear, the more important audience is American voters fed up with a war that will be in its 12th year on Election Day this fall.

Even after the U.S. combat mission is concluded in 2014, it is likely that thousands of U.S. troops will remain for some years to conduct counterterrorism strikes and otherwise train and advise Afghan forces, and help the Afghans collect and exploit intelligence on insurgents and other military targets.

Obama's 'word' is about as good as any other politician's word--not a plug nickle.

I don't think its a bad thing that that the U.S. keeps some troops in Afghanistan. It was probably inevitable that it would become another Korea anyway!

So what exactly is the "mission" that will have been "Accomplished"? It was rather amusing seeing some news stories from 2002 recently, talking, apparently quite seriously, about "What the future holds following the fall of the Taleban", and "After the defeat of the Taleban a year ago...". So will the good Mr. O declare that, this time, the Taleban have been defeated, no really, honestly, and any trouble there may be once we've gone is just Criminal Elements and it's nothing to do with us .... :whistle:

Well I do agree that we need to get out...It will save us billions of dollars a year...besides those people love killing each other. Let them kill each other. Who are we to stop them? Are we the world police? If we are...maybe we need to be there...

The mission that was accomplished was the recently signed agreement keeping us there until 2024.

That agreement bolsters the theory that our reason for going there in the first place was to secure real estate that would accomodate a pipeline from the Caspian Sea. And the various minerals that are found in Afghanistan.

• Like 1

So what exactly is the "mission" that will have been "Accomplished"?

burning money

The mission that was accomplished is that we got retribution for the attacks of 9-11. We killed most of those who planned and helped with the execution of the plans. We gave the Afghans a chance to try to start fresh and build a country from a tribal mess. But we stayed far too long, knowing that they were quite happy with their "tribal" mess. We spent vast sums and more importantly we buried 2000 good people for that cause. I'm glad that we are finally going to end this blood sponge but I heartily disrespect anyone from ANY country that makes light of the sacrifices...even if they were partly mistaken, that these men and women made. People who toss it about like football make me ill and I have no respect for them at all.

Gosh, I thought that in our Grand Judeo Christian scheme of things, retribution belonged to The Lord?

Please remind me again AND THEN, what exactly did Afghanistan have to do with the Fairy Tale of 11 September?

I can't remember any Afghani nationals being involved, but maybe I'm forgetting certain details of that Fairy Tale?

The mission that was accomplished is that we got retribution for the attacks of 9-11. We killed most of those who planned and helped with the execution of the plans.

It's interesting. I don't recall the AUMF saying anything about retribution. But be that as it may, the problem is, we did most of that in the first few months - via B52. We didn't need the full blown military for the last 10 years and 50 members of Al Qaeda. The most important one being killed (OBL) because Obama took the initiative that Bush dropped.

Edited by ninjadude

Gosh, I thought that in our Grand Judeo Christian scheme of things, retribution belonged to The Lord?

Please remind me again AND THEN, what exactly did Afghanistan have to do with the Fairy Tale of 11 September?

I can't remember any Afghani nationals being involved, but maybe I'm forgetting certain details of that Fairy Tale?

Oh, it does. But humans ignore His will most of the time dont'cha know? BR acting smug makes you sound more like an idiot and trust me...it's not something you need to emphasize in your persona.....toodles

It's interesting. I don't recall the AUMF saying anything about retribution. But be that as it may, the problem is, we did most of that in the first few months - via B52. We didn't need the full blown military for the last 10 years and 50 members of Al Qaeda. The most important one being killed (OBL) because Obama took the initiative that Bush dropped.

OBL aside, I agree with you. We stayed FAR too long knowing the rest of the objectives were unreachable. Obama's decision to kill OBL is the only thing I DO give him credit for. But he was found using intel from the Bush methods that are so decried today.

Oh, it does. But humans ignore His will most of the time dont'cha know? BR acting smug makes you sound more like an idiot and trust me...it's not something you need to emphasize in your persona.....toodles

Was it smugness, or just a bit of sarcasm, well deserved?

That is, why are so many religious folks so into revenge, torture and killing?

Why do so many refuse to answer uncomfortable questions? Does that mean they would prefer to pretend those questions don't exist? I suspect the possible answers, probable answers, unsettle their world view. War is good because my President said so? And my President never lies?