Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Energy drinks are destroying teenagers' teeth

Still Waters

Teenagers' love of energy drinks is taking a terrible toll on their teeth, scientists have warned.

A study published in the Academy of General Dentistry charted an alarming increase in the consumption of both energy and sports drinks among young adults in the U.S. who use them to help get through the day.

But they said the habit is causing irreversible damage to teeth as the high acidity levels in the drinks erode tooth enamel, the glossy outer layer of the tooth

In some cases it can take as little as five days for the eroding effect to begin.

http://www.dailymail...gers-teeth.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mantis914

• JayMark

• sickpuppy

• Keel M.

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. I remember having my first & only Red Bull in the 90's as a teenager. Damn drink made me more jittery than Michael J Fox. A year ago I tried one of the Monster drinks before a workout and had to stop half way through said workout because my hands were developing a slight shake.

How anybody can drink this crap after the initial experiment can is beyond me.

Edited by RightInTheStatisticals

I drink energy drinks practically everyday, whether it be a five hour energy, a Monster, or one of those double shot starbucks drinks. The worst for my teeth is definitely the Monster because you can taste how acidic it is right when you take your first sip, almost like Moutain Dew times 20. The five hour isn't too bad, since it is such a small amount of liquid to drink and the Starbucks energy drinks are mostly coffee and flavored creamer with some added ingredients. It all depends on the type of energy drink you are taking, not all of them are horrible for your teeth.

i think its okay if you brush your teeth twice a day, but it cant be good. im an energy drink .:*addict*:. sometimes o.0

I would think their thumbs would erode faster than their teeth due to texting...

i think its okay if you brush your teeth twice a day, but it cant be good. im an energy drink .:*addict*:. sometimes o.0

I highly doubt brushing you teeth will make a diffrence. The broblem here is acid. Once you have drank it, it has already done it's work. Perhaps rincing your mouth (or brushing your teeth) right after ingestion could, perhaps, help by removing the leftover acid from your mouth but again, I doubt it'll make a significant diffrence if you already drink a lot of it. And once your teeth have been damaged, there is no way to regenerate them.

more and more.. the human becomes like... some kind of automobile..?

gas up on energy drink

wipe the windshield teeth

off you go, vrooom..

?

I took one sip of a RedBull when they first came out and spat it back out. I don't understand how anyone can love those nasty things!!

The only thing appealing about Red Bull were the girls that would come to our campus to promote the drink. They would pull up in a Mini Cooper with a big can of Red Bull on top of it. The drink itself... yuck...