Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is food dropped on the floor safe to eat?

Still Waters

Sure, if you're willing to schlep from Arizona to Massachusetts. :) Probably be cheaper to just go on QVC and buy one of your own though. :lol:

But in going to QVC I miss out on meeting the lovely Lilly. Not sure there's much of real choice here now is there? ;)

But in going to QVC I miss out on meeting the lovely Lilly. Not sure there's much of real choice here now is there? ;)

Aww...thanks, but I'm probably a lot like your Mother in reality!

Aww...thanks, but I'm probably a lot like your Mother in reality!

This truly made me laugh. Unless you're a meth addicted woman who allows men to beat her children I doubt it.

I'd prefer a daily steam mopper friend!

• Like 1

This truly made me laugh. Unless you're a meth addicted woman who allows men to beat her children I doubt it.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope that someday your Mother will receive some type of help that allows her to overcome her addiction.

When one hears about this type of issue, dropping food on the floor seems extremely inconsequential.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope that someday your Mother will receive some type of help that allows her to overcome her addiction.

When one hears about this type of issue, dropping food on the floor seems extremely inconsequential.

Eh, it was a long time ago and it's taught me how to be a much better person and to be a much better mother to my babies. One thing I can say for sure, although absent much of the time, my mother taught me many things...all of which were what not to do and who not to be. Gotta love her for that much I suppose. She refuses to seek help and as a consequence has destroyed all relations with her whole family. I miss who she was when she was sober. Thank you for the kind words however and fortunately for myself, I'm almost thiry and it is no longer an issue. Just wish my angels had a grandmother.

Anyhooooo, back to the subject. I won't eat pixy stix I spill on the floor. I feel licking them up is going too far. Although, I really like pixy stix. Hmmm, maybe...

People, like me, that are avid hikers or campers, with a limited amount of food, just put it back on the fire. :D

• Like 1

I firmly believe we've become too 'cleanliness - obssessed',

I agree.

As gross as it may seem to us, eating, for example, a tiny piece of hair isn't dangerous or anything.

One person mentioned they walk around the house in just bare feet... then said how that was gross and wouldn't eat anytihng off the floor then. Why are bare feet gross? Unless you don't bathe...

I thought it was the 5 second rule. I may be too slow for the 3 second rule.

I never eat anything once it has hit the floor. What about at a restaurant? Maybe you eat food you don't know has been on the floor. :yes:

With the amount of homeless people scouring trash bins these days, picking up a dropped morsel from your OWN clean kitchen floor, probably isn't going to kill you. If these homeless ones who I've observed over the years are still walking around after all they've gathered from who knows where, I guess we'll easily survive the dropped morsel on the floor syndrome.

Should food become scarce in the near future (maybe much sooner than we think) these guys will have a better chance of surviving with the left overs than us.

Depends on the floor. My grandma's yes, mine, not so much.

I always figured the acid in my stomach would kill anything from a short term drop. Or the parasites in my bowels would finish off anything too harsh for acid. If all else fails, there's the bugs up my ***.

LOL. I for one can say that I most likely have as a baby and toddler but not as a child, teenager, or an adult pick food up off the floor. I find it to be gross.

Back on topic...

Depends on how dirty it looks once retrieved and how hungry you are, imo.

Ha ha,I've just "liked" your previous post,where you catch food before it hits ?....I know that your money will Never hit the floor,in fact I would guess you have to have a "tin" opener to get it out of your pocket, no offence,just having a laugh.but you arent as mean as the yorkies who "look after thee brass lad" tighter than a fishes bum and thats watertight..cheers Edited by spud the mackem

Ha ha,I've just "liked" your previous post,where you catch food before it hits ?....I know that your money will Never hit the floor,in fact I would guess you have to have a "tin" opener to get it out of your pocket, no offence,just having a laugh.but you arent as mean as the yorkies who "look after thee brass lad" tighter than a fishes bum and thats watertight..cheers

I'm double-miserly. Scottish but my paternal Grandpa was from Leeds! lol

Well, in my house it's more like the 2 second rule...anymore time than that lapses and one of my dogs will snarf it up.

• Like 1

I'm double-miserly. Scottish but my paternal Grandpa was from Leeds! lol

Gawd help us !..You dont actually hoover up the crumbs and recycle them ? No thats too much..you have a thin dog because nothing ever gets to the floor.!!..I had a few Scots mates,and they appeared in the pub,they insisted on buying the first round,then another would come in and insist on getting a round,so by the time your round came along you were paying for about 6 rounds,very canny lads,but we got on great...Its your roond the noo,Jimmy...ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

I usually rinse it off with cold county tap water...it has so much chlorine in it, probably kills every germ and virus. My dog and cats usually slurp up everything else.