Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Post WWII Britain

Coyote Speaks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any book or website recommendations for information on Britain throughout the 40s - late 70s or so. Most of the books I've seen mentioned on the topic are rather pricey and difficult to get my hands on... and my google fu isn't quite strong enough to weed out websites such as wiki answers and the like.

Do any of you have good book recommendations? I'll be using the information in a fairly academic medium so I would like more reliable information that simultaneously gives one a good idea of what life was like at that time.

Thank you in advance - if you have any questions for me (or if this is the wrong place to post such a query) just say and I'll go elsewhere.

Thank you again!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coyote Speaks

• Paracelse

• U. N.Owen

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

An excellent book on this issue is: `The Angry Young Men: A Literary Comedy of the Nineteen Fifties` by Humphrey Carpenter (London: Penguin books Ltd, 2003) ISBN 0-141-00004-x

This is a collective biography of a new generation of novelists and thinkers who emerged in Britain in the Nineteen Fifties.It really does give a feeling for what life must have been like in that period and in that place. It is also a damn good read: I've read it more than once, although I do take a special interest in these writers.(The same author has also written an account of British satire in the nineteen sixties and a biography of J.R.R. Tolkien, which cover roughly the same period too.)

It also, by the by, says quite a lot about Colin Wilson, a writer who has since become a chronicler of the paranormal.

I hope this is of some use to you. Good luck with your studies! Also, I am curious to know why you should be taking an interest in this topic!

Edited by U. N.Owen

In the same line as Angry young men, you could read The Outsider the first book by Colin Wilson, this book is rather cheap and you can find it at www.abebooks.uk

Thank you both! Angry Young Men sounds incredibly interesting, but unfortunately the only copies I can find are either across the country or over one hundred thirty USD used. I'll take a look for the other book, see if there are any copies near.

I'm working on a biography about a man who grew up in London during that time frame, and I'm trying to get a good perspective of what life was like at the time. He was born in 1945 in Chiswick, if that would help narrow topics a bit.

Again, thank you very much - I'm looking forward to learning about this. :)