Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient map gives clue to fate of Lost Colony

Still Waters

A new look at a 425-year-old map has yielded a tantalising clue about the fate of the Lost Colony, the settlers who disappeared from Britain's Roanoke Island in the late 16th century.

Experts from the First Colony Foundation and the British Museum in London discussed their findings Thursday at a scholarly meeting on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Their focus: the "Virginia Pars" map of Virginia and North Carolina created by explorer John White in the 1580s and owned by the British Museum since 1866.

"We believe that this evidence provides conclusive proof that they moved westward up the Albemarle Sound to the confluence of the Chowan and Roanoke rivers," said James Horn, vice president of research and historical interpretation at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and author of a 2010 book about the Lost Colony.

"Their intention was to create a settlement. And this is what we believe we are looking at with this symbol – their clear intention, marked on the map ..."

http://www.telegraph...ost-Colony.html

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• gnostic-deity

• King Fluffs

• Goodnite

I would love to find out what happened to them. I know it's been a mystery for so long but if the discovery happened in my lifetime I think it would be neat.

I too want to think that the original colonists survived somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic. I hope this new clue helps solve the mystery.

Didn't someone awhile back prove that the Roanoke Colony all drowned?

why didnt anyone search there then? i mean, there was a map of the area....

Edited by gnostic-deity

its already solved...they started to have affairs with native americans tats y the next generation of native americans became considerably whiter and then they all drowned on a river journey

this is very intriguing. i have always been fascinated by the disappearance of the roanoke colony

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they found some pretty good evidence that they just joined the nearby Indian tribe....

I just want to say, I HATE misleading titles. The title says "Ancient map gives clue to fate of lost colony", that saying that there is definite proof of what happened to them. But in the article it says "believe" and "may" over and over. ARGHHHHHHH!