Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bicycling

orangepeaceful79

I looked around and didn't see a thread like this. Are there any other bike enthusiasts? I love my bike. in the summers when I'm off from my teaching job I pretty much shelve my car and go everywhere on my bike. I also do some road and trail riding and just absolutely love it. I have a 2005 TREK 3700 - I love my bike - its rugged, but lightweight and just begs to go fast.

I haven't been on a bike in a while. I'm thinking of investing in a new cruiser. Old fashioned, I know, but I don't need anything fancy.

• Like 1

I haven't been on a bike in a while. I'm thinking of investing in a new cruiser. Old fashioned, I know, but I don't need anything fancy.

I think thats the great part about cycling in general. You can pretty much take it as far as you want to take it. You can be a casual exercise/recreational rider with a very simple bike or you can go full tilt and drop $5k on a carbon fibre racing bike. Either way, the enjoyment is still there. I encourage you to follow your thoughts on getting a bike. Get a decent one if you can - it will last longer and be more enjoyable to ride.

The only way to deal with accursed cyclists!

Amen. I love the feeling of knowing that you can propel yourself without spending a dime on gasoline. Can't wait til the summer so I can ride more.

I think cycling is a reasonable hobby or sport to undertake. However, what annoyed me when I lived in the UK was the insistance of so called 'sports bicyclists'' to ride two abreast (or more) on a main road, thus holding up the traffice behind them or causing a danger to other road users who try to overtake them in what are, let's face it, much faster machines, ie, cars!

The other really annoying thing was that at the weekends, I quite liked to take an excursion (by car) to the local garden centre and would partake in a cuppa and some cheesy commestibles in their cafe. This just happened to be the same cafe that these sporty type bicyclists chose to stop for their refreshments.

I can tell you right now, there is nothing more off putting than the sight of some skinny bicyclist in ultra tight cycling shorts walking (or trying to walk in those funny bicyclist shoes) into the cafe when you are about to munch on your cheesy commestible! Specially when the geriatric bicyclists were out for their Sunday jaunt. Ewwwwwww !!!

They are like caravans...they should be banned from all main roads and also from any place of refreshment :)

edit,,,typo :blush:

Edited by Englishgent
  • Like 1

I miss being on my bike. I've done something to my leg that make it ache terribly aafter just a little effort. Until I can afford to get it fixed my giant's going to be sitting in the back yard.

I also plan on buying a trailer for my doggies. :w00t:

That's why I bought a little, old, used S10 Chevy truck years ago for $1,500, The Huskey that I had got car sick every time she was inside the car. Never mind the truck didn't have air conditioning for me... it made her happy to ride in the back of the truck. She was properly and safely tethered by her breast harness of course. :tu:

There is a new bike rental, in our downtown area, that has something like fifteen different places where you can rent one or return it. I'm going to wait and see how many times my husband and I utilize that before I would consider getting a bike. My 93 Rodeo only has about 140,000 miles, because I work from home and anywhere I go I have to pick up too many things to ride any kind of bike for it to be a valid use of transportation.

Went for a quick 5 mile ride last evening on mixed terrain. The weather was beautiful and I even had the good fortune to come across 6 fox pups playing inside the city limits. It was so nice to get back out there on my bike. :)

I finally found a bike in a price range I can handle, but I don't know if I need a 24" or can manage a 26".

I finally found a bike in a price range I can handle, but I don't know if I need a 24" or can manage a 26".

Take the 24''.......less height to fall from :)

Are you ordering online? if so you may want to trek to a walmart and just try sitting on the 24" bikes and then the 26" bikes. If you are shorter a 24" might be the right size. Hard to say. I helped my mom pick out her current bike and she needed a 24" due to her being only 5'1". She can ride a 26" but its much easier for her to get on and off the 24. Try it out and go with what feels the best.

No I'm going to the Academy Sports here in town. I'm betting I'll need the 24" since I'm merely 5'-3". :P

I have a really old Trek with a broken shifter... looking into a single-speed because I really only stick to the pavement with it.

But yeah, it's got a lot of road miles as opposed to off-road.

Now I was looking at the website for Dick's Sporting Goods last night and they have instructions on how to measure for the right size bike and it's not how I figured it would be. :huh:

Guidelines like that are helpful, but in the end buy what feels right, what feels comfortable because every body type is different and ultimately you are the one that has to live with it day in and day out.

• 2 months later...

Purchased a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29er this year and absolutely love it! With a front shock which has adjustable preload settings and the option to lockout the shock, I could ask for little more in the shock. The 29 inch tires are great, adds weight to the bike but maintains speed and balance like no other bike I have ever ridden. Have not meet a hill which I couldn't conquer with it, even if I am tired and already accept that I won't make it. The seat was a pain in the rear at first but my gluteus maximus has adjust quite well, my wife loves it :tu: .Made the retailer I bought from upgrade my pedals, from plastic (the only negative about the stock bike) to metal with footstraps. Overall I would give it a 8/10, the weight being the biggest downfall, however my weight is still the larger issue :td: .

post-21169-0-81283900-1342703978_thumb.j

Edited by jgorman628

Update....I unfortunately had to sell my beloved TREK. It was the only damn thing I owned that was worth anything on the resale market and I needed the money for more important things. I thankfully sold it to a friend who told me that if I ever want to buy it back from him I can. So though my bike and I have now parted ways, hopefully it won't be permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly a change of job/hours mean its more difficult to get out in an evening and enjoy the local countryside in summer - bike is a Halford's Apollo

post-28757-0-38585000-1343938694_thumb.j

Sadly a change of job/hours mean its more difficult to get out in an evening and enjoy the local countryside in summer - bike is a Halford's Apollo

Nice looking bike, OA. Do you like the rear suspension? I enjoy a bike with some decent shocks up front but prefer a fixed back wheel as opposed to the articulated one. Always seems more sturdy to me, but of course the only bikes with the rear suspension I've ever ridden are the cheap Wal-Mart ones. Maybe with some quality its a more stable platform?

Nice looking bike, OA. Do you like the rear suspension? I enjoy a bike with some decent shocks up front but prefer a fixed back wheel as opposed to the articulated one. Always seems more sturdy to me, but of course the only bikes with the rear suspension I've ever ridden are the cheap Wal-Mart ones. Maybe with some quality its a more stable platform?

Thx. I have an older steeel-frame hardtail MTB, but the choice of a newer/better alloy-frame full suspension bike was mainly one of comfort; the metalled roads round here are bad in places, but I prefer to get off-road and onto cycletracks and farm tracks/lanes etc - which are always rutted/bumpy. This Apollo (Halfords brand in UK, not the US Apollo brand) is low-mid budget for an alloy bike here, but with tweaks (like swapping to trigger shifters) it has served me well for 4 years now. One thing I do need to replace is the rear derailleur cage, quite how the chain can jump out of the cage beats me; it sure won't go back in wihout dismantling and re-assmbling - not much fun out on a ride!