Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing: Anthonette Cayedito

JonathanVonErich

Anthonette Christine Cayedito

cayedito_anthonette2.jpg

DOB: December 25, 1976

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Black

Defining Characteristics: Has a mole on her right cheek, a scar on her knee, and a scar on her lip, She is of Italian and Navajo descent.

Remarks: Last seen April 6, 1986

On April 6, 1986, the quiet community of Gallup, New Mexico was rocked by the mysterious disappearance of a nine-year-old Navajo girl named Anthonette Cayedito. Anthonette's younger sister, Wendy, said that a man knocked at the door in the middle of the night. She said that when Anthonette went to the door, she asked who the person was, and the man said that it was their Uncle Joe. When Anthonette opened the door, two men grabbed her and took her away. Police interviewed the real Uncle Joe and they ruled him out as a suspect. They believe that Anthonette was abducted by someone that was not a family member, but may have known the family.

No new leads surfaced until one year later when a call came in to the Gallup police department. The girl on the phone claimed to be Anthonette, and that she was in Albuquerque, but before she could say anything else, an unidentified male voice said, "Who said you could use the phone?", at that point the girl screamed and the call ended. Anthonette's mother was certain that the voice was her daughter's, but she still could not be located. Four years later, a Carson City waitress told police that she served a couple and a young girl, and that while she was there the young girl intentionally pushed her fork off the table, and every time the waitress put the fork back on the table, the young girl squeezed her hand. After the three left, the waitress was cleaning the table when she found a napkin that said "Please help me! Call the police," We can be sure that Anthonette made the phone call in 1987, however some investigators doubt that the girl seen in the restaurant was indeed her.

The abductors of Anthonette are believed to be two adult males, although the couple with the girl resembling Anthonette witnessed by the waitress were a man and a woman, who were described as rather unkempt. Investigators now believe that due to the passage of time, Anthonette is deceased. If she is still alive today, she would be thirty-five years old. If you have any information related to this case please contact Detective Sgt. Allen, at 505-863-9365.

Charley Project: http://www.charleypr...anthonette.html

The Doe Network: http://doenetwork.or...ses/61dfnm.html

Unsolved Mysteries episode about the case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAq1-TmdP8

Edited by JonathanVonErich

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonathanVonErich

• arenee

• TheNightOwl

• Regi

Wow, that is really sad. You would think that by now, after her seemed attempts to get help she'd maybe be able to do so. I oftentimes wonder about these cases and feel horrible for those who most likely do pass away. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Wow, that is really sad. You would think that by now, after her seemed attempts to get help she'd maybe be able to do so. I oftentimes wonder about these cases and feel horrible for those who most likely do pass away. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Hey, you're welcome.

This is one of the saddest case I have seen. I don't know if you watched the video I shared in the opening post but everytime I hear the phone call, the voice of the little girl saying "I'm Anthonette Cayedito" it breaks my heart.

I feel that she was abducted by people who knew the family very well. The fact that one of the abductors said he was her "Uncle Joe" is proof that this was not a random kidnapping. A theory is that Anthonette was abducted because one of her family member ( perhaps Uncle Joe ) had serious debts that he couldn't pay, something of that nature. I want to believe that she is still alive, but I doubt it. However if the child seen at the restaurant was really her then there's hope that she was kidnapped and raised by other people. Maybe it's another case like Jaycee Dugard.

I was not able to see the video as I am at work and you know how they like to cut me off. Jerky's.

Anyway, it is very sad and I'd like to hope that she is still around. It's such a horrible thing to have happen. If something happened to my babies, I think I'd lose it.

It's scary to think that when a family member is a 'not so stand up guy' others will go after innocent people for payback. I am finding myself more and more disgusted with the things I am reading.

Wow. That is terrible. She made multiple attempts to get help but it didn't work out, that makes me really sad and scares the hell out of me too. I think if that would have happened today they would have been able to track the calls, right?

I really want to believe she's alive, but who knows. I might think that after such a long time she's dead, but if they didn't kill her after four years couldn't she still be alive? Perhaps after this time period she has stockholm syndrome or something similar and isn't willing to try to get help again?

Wow. That is terrible. She made multiple attempts to get help but it didn't work out, that makes me really sad and scares the hell out of me too. I think if that would have happened today they would have been able to track the calls, right?

I really want to believe she's alive, but who knows. I might think that after such a long time she's dead, but if they didn't kill her after four years couldn't she still be alive? Perhaps after this time period she has stockholm syndrome or something similar and isn't willing to try to get help again?

Hearing the phone call is always a heartbreaker for me, you can feel the fear in her voice, it must have been really horrible for her mom to hear this and knowing she could do nothing to help her little girl. Yes, you are right about the phone call, today they would have been able to track it easily unless it was made on a cellphone. Calls made from cellphones can be a little more difficult to track.

The big question is: Was the girl seen at the restaurant really Anthonette ?? If indeed the girl asking for help at the restaurant was Anthonette then I'm convinced that this case is another Jaycee Dugard, that she was kidnapped and then raised by her abductors. Indeed perhaps she have stockholm syndrome and is now living with her "new family", it's a very good possibility. We have to remember that when Jaycee Dugard was finally found she had, in some ways, a "normal" family life with her abductors, sad but true.

Now I'm only speculating, but if indeed the girl at the restaurant was Anthonette then two questions can be raised:

- she left a message for the waitress, but yet she didn't wrote her name. Why ?? The sighting happened in Carson city, far from Gallup, I doubt seriously that the case was known there, I doubt that she would assume that everybody would know about her abduction, how she look, etc.

- she most probably had a chance to escape, she could have run and asked for help while the couple was eating, yet she did nothing but sending cryptic messages to the waitress. Why ?? Fear ?? Most probably, but maybe there's other reasons. Maybe Anthonette feared for the life of other people, perhaps other kidnapping victims who lived with her, and knowing that bad things would happen to them she decided not to escape.

Now if the girl at the restaurant wasn't Anthonette then it raise some very interesting questions: Who was that girl ?? Why was she asking for help ?? Was she another kidnapping victim ?? Sadly we don't have the answers to these questions, and it's bothering me. Very sad case.

Hearing the phone call is always a heartbreaker for me, you can feel the fear in her voice, it must have been really horrible for her mom to hear this and knowing she could do nothing to help her little girl. Yes, you are right about the phone call, today they would have been able to track it easily unless it was made on a cellphone. Calls made from cellphones can be a little more difficult to track.

The big question is: Was the girl seen at the restaurant really Anthonette ?? If indeed the girl asking for help at the restaurant was Anthonette then I'm convinced that this case is another Jaycee Dugard, that she was kidnapped and then raised by her abductors. Indeed perhaps she have stockholm syndrome and is now living with her "new family", it's a very good possibility. We have to remember that when Jaycee Dugard was finally found she had, in some ways, a "normal" family life with her abductors, sad but true.

Now I'm only speculating, but if indeed the girl at the restaurant was Anthonette then two questions can be raised:

- she left a message for the waitress, but yet she didn't wrote her name. Why ?? The sighting happened in Carson city, far from Gallup, I doubt seriously that

- she most probably had a chance to escape, she could have run and asked for help while the couple was eating, yet she did nothing but sending cryptic messages to the waitress. Why ?? Fear ?? Most probably, but maybe there's other reasons.

Now if the girl at the restaurant wasn't Anthonette then it raise some very interesting questions: Who was that girl ?? Why was she asking for help ?? Was she another kidnapping victim ?? Sadly we don't have the answers to these questions, and it's bothering me. Very sad case.

I think now even on cellphones they can track the call to an approximate area, I seem to remember reading something about cell phones releasing "pings" every so often to nearby cell towers which can be used to triangulate on the area.

It's very possible it was Anthonette but she either didn't right her name because she was trying to get a quick message out or even possibly because she had been conditioned not to use her own name (didn't that happen with Jaycee Dugard) Didn't she say she hadn't used her real name in years before they found her?

Most probably she didn't try to escape due to fear. It's like a child who is afraid to defy an abusive parent in public, they are so afraid of the person that they think something will either happen right there or the person will play it off (convince the waitress she was a liar or something) and then they will be in trouble later. Also, the person could have threatened their families if they tried to escape. Remember that kid Shawn Hornbeck who was found a few years ago after having been missing for like five years? I think I remember seeing on TV that he had been allowed by the guy who kidnapped him to go outside to the park, hang out with other kids, etc, but the guy had told him he'd kill his family if he ever tried to escape.

It's very possible it was Anthonette but she either didn't right her name because she was trying to get a quick message out or even possibly because she had been conditioned not to use her own name (didn't that happen with Jaycee Dugard) Didn't she say she hadn't used her real name in years before they found her?

Most probably she didn't try to escape due to fear. It's like a child who is afraid to defy an abusive parent in public, they are so afraid of the person that they think something will either happen right there or the person will play it off (convince the waitress she was a liar or something) and then they will be in trouble later. Also, the person could have threatened their families if they tried to escape. Remember that kid Shawn Hornbeck who was found a few years ago after having been missing for like five years? I think I remember seeing on TV that he had been allowed by the guy who kidnapped him to go outside to the park, hang out with other kids, etc, but the guy had told him he'd kill his family if he ever tried to escape.

You are right about Jaycee, when they found her she hadn't used her real name in years, maybe that's what happened in this case. Good point about threats to her family, very good possibility that it's what happened. After all it's clear that the kidnappers knew the family very well, or at least knew who "uncle Joe" was and knew where Anthonette and her mom lived. This kidnapping was no random act, it was a well prepared plan, but who and why remains a mystery. I'm searching for more info.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't form an impression about this case until I know more information.

Here we have a child who disappeared from her home after bedtime.

There's no mention of evidence of a break-in. Apparently, there wasn't.

There's no mention if anyone else living in the home, or who else was present in the home, but since Antonette's mother and sisters couldn't locate Antonette the next morning, I assume that they had been the only people known to be present.

This causes me to wonder about Antonette's father.

Five years later, we have Antonette's little sister, Wendy- then 10- reporting that Uncle Joe knocked on the door and that he, another man, and Antonette went away in a brown van.

(It bother's me that Uncle Joe wasn't interviewed at the time of the crime. It causes me to question how thorough the initial investigation was. Of course, anyone having any possible contact with the child should have been investigated AT THE TIME.

Apart from that, I question Wendy's info. for a couple reasons. 1) the delay of relaying such info. Even considering Wendy's age at the time (5), I don't think her explanation of withholding such info. is believable because the mother wasn't upset until AFTER Antonette couldn't be located, so Wendy had no reason not tell her mother that Antonette went with their Uncle Joe. I think it's more likely that in the years since the event, Wendy either imagined that scenario occurring, or (most likely) dreamed that it occurred, and due to the continued trauma of the on-going situation and her age, she couldn't separate fact from fiction. 2) it strikes me as very strange and highly unlikely that a perp intent on abduction would knock on the front door. Not only that, but an accompliss would have had to agree to such a bizarre plan. Anyone could have answered the door...what then? Maybe no one would answer...then what?

Wendy described a vehicle, so we also have to believe that the perp drove right up to the house, and intended to just drive away after committing such a crime.

As for the Gallup Police station phone call, it's indeed very disturbing. My only comment is that although the caller states that she's in Albuquerque, she could have been misled.

Edited by regi

I can't form an impression about this case until I know more information.

Hi Regi.

Well good luck about that, because all the information available to us has been shared in this thread. Sadly there's not much to investigate; I first heard about this case years ago, always tried to find more information but just couldn't. This case is a tough one to research.