Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Socially acceptable to have hairy armpits?

Still Waters

Like it or not, there are few sights more arresting than a woman with a hairy armpit. The unfettered growth of female underarm and leg hair is considered one of the ultimate social taboos, dismissed as the kind of eccentric behaviour that should only adopted by hippies.

But while as a society we are used to removing all our body hair, one woman has decided to challenge the notion that women must be hair-free to be happy.

Graduate student Emer O'Toole from Dublin decided to stop shaving for good 18 months ago when she came to the conclusion that too much pressure is put upon women to conform to what she calls 'artificial gender norms'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2139473/Emer-OToole-This-Morning-Can-EVER-socially-acceptable-hairy-armpits.html

Edited by Still Waters
I forgot to add the source link!

I find body hair to be gross regardless of gender...especially under-arm hair. Yucky!

Don't shave, I don't care...just don't complain when you cant find a man...

I find body hair to be gross regardless of gender...especially under-arm hair. Yucky!

I have found that many women prefer chest hair...now back hair and and long hairs on the bicep are a different story.

They also like that "runway" hair that goes from the belly botton down.

As much as I hate shaving, there is no way in *&^^ I'm going to stop. It's icky to me. I don't mind some hair on a man but too much can be icky too. I guess though, it's a matter of opinion. You just won't find much hair on me.

Like it or not, there are few sights more arresting than a woman with a hairy armpit. The unfettered growth of female underarm and leg hair is considered one of the ultimate social taboos, dismissed as the kind of eccentric behaviour that should only adopted by hippies.

But while as a society we are used to removing all our body hair, one woman has decided to challenge the notion that women must be hair-free to be happy.

Graduate student Emer O'Toole from Dublin decided to stop shaving for good 18 months ago when she came to the conclusion that too much pressure is put upon women to conform to what she calls 'artificial gender norms'

I'm kinda glad you forgot the link. :)

Nope, couldn't do it. Just itchy.

Now, on men, chest hair is nice.

Nibs

The only place i like a lot of hair is on my head!! I knew a few women that didn't shave and it just looks bad!!

I'm kinda glad you forgot the link. :)

Nibs

Ooops! Thank you for pointing that out. That's twice today I've forgotten to include the link :D:blush:

Don't shave, I wax. Legs, under arms, bikini area, but I draw the line at complete removal of all pubic hair. IMO removing all of ones pubic hair makes an adult person look very odd. My 25 year old daughter removes all her body hair though, even most of her eyebrows. I think "all off" something the younger women do.

• Like 1

Hairy armpits and hairy bushes are totally unacceptable. Lol!

Let me guess...you're a young American or Brazilian male?

See an interesting article here.

ewwwwww i couldnt deal with having hairy armpits. i like the smooth feeling when i shave.

Nope, couldn't do it. Just itchy.

Now, on men, chest hair is nice.

Nibs

Totally agree with Nibs on both counts!

I don't really mind what other people choose to do with their body hair, but personally I wouldn't go with hairy armpits.

Edited by schizoidwoman

Whatever suits you, even the young men in my gym shave off their body hair this includes the pubic area.

Shaving regrowth is so stubbly...I don't know how they can stand it.

IMO, 'wax on, wax off' is the only way to go.

Whatever suits you, even the young men in my gym shave off their body hair this includes the pubic area.

I guess I'm getting old.....I would think it would be to much work......especially for a guy.

When I was young, only competitive swimmers shaved their bodies and I highly doubt they shaved their pubic regions.

To each his/her own....

As long as there's no wildlife nesting in the hair I don't see any problem.

Tis B.O. that's biggest no-no, imo.

Yuck,this lady looks like she's part man.Reminds me of a girlfriend I dated in my early twenties that had chest hair.She was a hispanic girl that was very beautiful except for that detail. It wasn't full on chest hair,but it was few strands,wih one that looked like it was two inches long.I nearly gagged when I first saw that. She also had some stubble under her arm from not shaving every day Ah brings back fond memories. :D . I'm not trying to seem superficial,but women are supposed to be feminine not covered in hair.It seems like his girl just got lazy. Maybe she should also stop with the makeup,and get a butch cut while she's at it-LOL

I don't like body hair on men or women. But each to their own, I spose.

Good on her for defying the stereotype.

Imo, the fascination for hairlessness is a form of neoteny. While I would find unkempt or dirty hair on a woman (in the armpit, on the legs, etc) unpleasant, I find nothing disturbing or disgusting about well-kept and trimmed hair. It is entirely natural and keeping the hair seems to me an indication of the woman's acceptance of her maturity, rather than a desire to retain an almost pre-pubescent appearance.

• Like 1

I'm with Leonardo on this, though I do personally shave certain things.

It always kinda makes me shake my head when people say hair is gross or icky or disgusting. It's hair. It's the same stuff that is on your head, which you enjoy brushing and styling in attractive ways. There is nothing gross about it, as long as it's clean.

Having no or limited hair is simply a cultural style.

Sorry maybe not to some people its not gross,but to me excessive body hair is gross and unattractive.Thiswoman+with+armpit+hair.jpg reminds me of faked Lohan pic below:Lindsay-chest-hair.jpg If women could naturally(without medical condition) grow chest hair like that I'm sure some people here would say that's perfectly okay too.I guess as some people say, Too each their own!

Edited by mattryan209

Sorry maybe not to some people its not gross,but to me excessive body hair is gross and unattractive.Thiswoman+with+armpit+hair.jpg reminds me of faked Lohan pic below:Lindsay-chest-hair.jpg If women could naturally(without medical condition) grow chest hair like that I'm sure some people here would say that's perfectly okay too.I guess as some people say, Too each their own!

I need to delete that LL picture from my mind! :no:

I need to delete that LL picture from my mind! :no:

Lol! Yeah,sorry about that its probably scarred your mind to the point you will never look at Lindsey Lohan the same again.Oh well,there's still Paris :tu: