Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Is Your Dog Thinking?

Karlis

When your dog gazes up at you adoringly, what does it see? A best friend? A pack leader? A can opener? Many dog lovers make all kinds of inferences about how their pets feel about them, but no one has captured images of actual canine thought processes -- until now. ...

The researchers aim to decode the mental processes of dogs by recording which areas of their brains are activated by various stimuli. Ultimately, they hope to get at questions like: Do dogs have empathy? Do they know when their owners are happy or sad? How much language do they really understand? ... (snip) ...

Source: http://www.scienceda...e Science News)

Didn't know my dog was capable of thinking...at least not coherently...

dogs like humping my legs. i know what their thinking. lol

dogs like humping my legs. i know what their thinking. lol

Maybe not. Dogs will quite often hump another that they consider to be of a lower social rank. Mounting and humping isn't always sexual in 'dog speak'. Dogs have a 'language' comprised mostly of body language.

I think these researchers would be well served to consult a dog whisperer if they want to go beyond seeing what area of the brain acitivates when a dog does a conditioned behaviour. I think this study is rather self-limiting, but certainly interesting. IMO, one has to go beyond brain scans to figure out what dogs are really thinking... one has to learn how to read their body language.

• Like 1

Maybe not. Dogs will quite often hump another that they consider to be of a lower social rank. Mounting and humping isn't always sexual in 'dog speak'. Dogs have a 'language' comprised mostly of body language.

Correct, it is a test on how far he can drive you. Mounting and humping is a typical dominance expression, who is on top is the boss.

Now, you want to make sure your dog keeps discipline? Snarl at him/her when he/she tries.

Can't wait till they try this on cats, we can finally find out which part of their brain lights up when they're giving you that special "that silly looking bi-ped is so hard to train " look :w00t: .

I don't think I want to know what my dog is thinking. Except when it comes to finding slugs and lizards part of her food options. The vet says the slugs won't hurt her but I don't care. That's just NASTY!

Seems like dogs are always constantly thinking about food. Some humans are that way too, come to think of it.

Hell, I'm thinking about food right now.

mmmm-nam-nam-nam.........

Thinking? I would love to know what's going through our fuzzy bonehead's mind when he's asleep. He obviously has the most incredible dreams...little barks, long low growls, legs moving rapidly. He's more entertaining when he's asleep than when he's awake.

I think he dreams of giant catsquirrels, but I don't know whether he's hunter or prey. LOL :lol:

Can't wait till they try this on cats, we can finally find out which part of their brain lights up when they're giving you that special "that silly looking bi-ped is so hard to train " look :w00t: .

always rememer that

Dogs have owners, cats have staff and that thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this. :tu:

Edited by Karyotype
  • Like 2

I know my dogs wish I knew what they are thinking. And I do too sometimes.They try so hard to tell me. And I have to use process of elimination: Water bowl empty? Bed blanket on floor? Cat stalking her? Ball under couch? Sister in her bed? Family member eating in their room and she wants to join them? Scratch my back? Exhausting :P ...but of course worth it :tu:

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

I know my dogs wish I knew what they are thinking. And I do too sometimes.They try so hard to tell me....

Dogs read us better than we can read them. Everytime you know *something* is up with one of your dogs very carefully note his/her body posture, tail and ear placement, movement, and type of barking. Barking can be frantic or measured, loud or soft, consist of growls or woofs. You might even write down your observations. Eventually, you will find yourself able to figure out situations with uncanny accuracy.

Will this study eventually lead to testing tea partier?

Let's not test the equipment beyond it's capabilities - it's expensive to replace and them tea partiers don't want to pay the taxes to do it.

Let's not test the equipment beyond it's capabilities - it's expensive to replace and them tea partiers don't want to pay the taxes to do it.

My bad

I'll bet animals are capable of all kinds of unknown communication. Just look at us, we can whistle/flip people off/wink/cry. The list goes on, communication amongst species is hella random and extensive.

The only thing I wonder about, is do they use a "universal" language? What I mean is, people in China speak a different language than I do here in America. Do cats from China communicate differently than cats from America, or do they use a global "cat language"? Haha in other words, would the Meow Mix commercials need subtitles for cats in differing countries?

all i got out of that is they pay close attention to commands. if you want to know what your pet is thinking just look at their face, the expression of emotions is pretty obvious.

What I really want to know is, what's on a cats brain haha. There so mysterious, sneaky an it would be interesting to see.

You may be surprised to know that the Canine Cognition Center "is one of the few labs in the country focused on how dogs think." But, actually, you probably aren't.

Scientists at the lab put dogs through a number of games to study their psychology and how they solve problems. This is a serious matter:

Turns out, dogs think people are awesome. And "super-important." And that "they can solve almost any problem if they rely on people," says Hare. Also, they're sneaky.

Just like children, dogs also understand that if you turn your back, they can misbehave, especially after their owners have told them not to do something.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2010/11/what_do_dogs_th.php

Edited by Goodnite

I sometimes felt like my dog was judging me. Maybe spreading rumours behind my back. Turns out .... lol I was just paranoid... just like everyone.. right? right

Haha I know what one of my dogs is thinking... Nothing! I would tell you how many glass doors she's ran into, but I stopped counting at 20.

I wish i'd have known what one of mine was thinking 5 minutes ago....would have saved a hell of a lot of mess.

Edited by BrianPotter