Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Werewolves real or fake?

paulhaychstyle

Well, given we've never actually documented a case of shapeshifting, there's really no way to honestly say whether or not some mechanism could allow it to happen without the numerous factors mentioned here interfering (energy, death, preservation of mass, etc.). Not saying I believe in it, just that I reserve the possibility that there might be things that we don't understand. But yeah, I don't think that nature as we know it would really allow for shapeshifting. We would have to discover some really earth-shatteringly bizarre things for that to happen. And we could, I don't know. Either way I certainly place myself fairly far on the negative side of this argument.

blimey we agree!

• Like 2

Hmmmm shape shifting werewolves in one hand and reality in the other hmmmm puzzling what to do.? :unsure2:

• Like 2

I just dont think a werewolf, the type right out of fiction and movie is physically possible.

I believe people that are overly obsessed with werewolves are pursuing fancies from their adolescence and childhoods.

I'll admit, when I was kid I thought Lon Chaney was cool beans and later in life I finally grasped the fact, the Wolfman is one of Universal Studio's most sympathetic and tragic cinema monsters that Larry Talbot suffered a curse doomed to be killed by the one he loves.

And if these reports have any authenticity, maybe the sighting was demonic and spiritual not truly a physical being.

• Like 1

I just dont think a werewolf, the type right out of fiction and movie is physically possible.

I believe people that are overly obsessed with werewolves are pursuing fancies from their adolescence and childhoods.

I'll admit, when I was kid I thought Lon Chaney was cool beans and later in life I finally grasped the fact, the Wolfman is one of Universal Studio's most sympathetic and tragic cinema monsters that Larry Talbot suffered a curse doomed to be killed by the one he loves.

And if these reports have any authenticity, maybe the sighting was demonic and spiritual not truly a physical being.

Define "spiritual" or "demonic" in this instance? And why they should be considered viable candidates?

• Like 1

Define "spiritual" or "demonic" in this instance? And why they should be considered viable candidates?

Well, I havent really followed the reports on werewolves but am aware that the belief in them has enjoyed a rather recent resurgance.

They are reportedly humanoid with animal characteristics with a coat of fur.

And they move like greased lightning, impossibly fast to be human.

Correct me if I am wrong?

If not a hoax then I vouch demon or a demonic spirit rather than a mystical shapeshifting race or cursed human being suffering lycanthrope.

• Like 1

Well, I havent really followed the reports on werewolves but am aware that the belief in them has enjoyed a rather recent resurgance.

If not a hoax then I vouch demon or a demonic spirit rather than a mystical shapeshifting race or cursed human being suffering lycanthrope.

The ancients had to ingest hallucinogens to see their "demons" and "spirits", I believe. (I could be wrong though.. in fact, knowing UM I'll probably be corrected before I finish this pork chop). The same was true of for 20th century mankind.

Sadly, 21st century man only has to see an episode of Scooby Doo and he's seeing shapeshifting demons in every corner. Give him a drink of anything stronger than Red Bull and he'll post the photoshopped "evidence" on UM. lol It has a much wider audience than a cave wall.

Edit to ramble on for another five mins.

I can remember one night I had the heeby-jeebies from alcohol wthdrawals. Was about 3am and I swear I saw a rat with big teeth sitting on my floor. I put the light on.. and saw that my rat was in fact, a sock. I was scared witless for a very, very long 20 seconds. For real. By a sock.

:)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

There are more ways to shape shift than you may think. There is an octupus in Indonesia called the mimic octopus, and its the closest thig to real shapeshifting you will see.

I saw it turn into Justin Beiber! My therapy starts next tuesday.

• Like 1

You didn't give me any definition of "demonic spirit". Or why I should think it's more viable than a "mystical shapeshifting race".

You didn't give me any definition of "demonic spirit". Or why I should think it's more viable than a "mystical shapeshifting race".

Well, what I should have said was a demonic entity. That the sightings if they are genuine are actually elemental spirits.

I just find it quite stretch of the imagination to conclude they are a "mystical shapeshifting race" that these are actual flesh and blood mortal beings.

Addressed to the whole forum, any body have more input on werewolves or any good online readings about the The Beast Of Bay Road? Sorry, I havent followed any of the recent werewolf stories just heard some stuff second hand from others. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Well, what I should have said was a demonic entity. That the sightings if they are genuine are actually elemental spirits.

I just find it quite stretch of the imagination to conclude they are a "mystical shapeshifting race" that these are actual flesh and blood mortal beings.

Addressed to the whole forum, any body have more input on werewolves or any good online readings about the The Beast Of Bay Road? Sorry, I havent followed any of the recent werewolf stories just heard some stuff second hand from others. Thanks in advance!

I'm still not understanding what you mean by "elemental spirits" or "demonic entities". Definition, if you please.

• Like 1

I'm still not understanding what you mean by "elemental spirits" or "demonic entities". Definition, if you please.

An nonhuman malevolent spirit being. A spirit that has never been flesh and blood.

• Like 2

An nonhuman malevolent spirit being. A spirit that has never been flesh and blood.

You're still not telling me what a "spirit" is supposed to be. Or why it should be more plausible than mystical shapeshifters.

• Like 2

I think Arbitran wants a definition that sits in line with a more materialistic understanding of reality. A spirit is a life form that is composed of a substance, perhaps dark matter? that science has yet to detect, but can be felt by humans on a psychological level.

• Like 1

I think Arbitran wants a definition that sits in line with a more materialistic understanding of reality. A spirit is a life form that is composed of a substance, perhaps dark matter? that science has yet to detect, but can be felt by humans on a psychological level.

A ghost... a spirit... something that can manifest itself at will but usually chooses not to...

I havent read anything on these werewolf sighting if there are any... I just recall from somewhere or someone ...a source... that they are bipedal and move with lightning speed and reflexes.

• Like 1

A ghost... a spirit... something that can manifest itself at will but usually chooses not to...

I havent read anything on these werewolf sighting if there are any... I just recall from somewhere or someone ...a source... that they are bipedal and move with lightning speed and reflexes.

So something which has the ability to choose whether it's real (manifested) or not? Interesting... Alright then.

As a note, most werewolf accounts have the creature being quadrupedal, not bipedal (though bipedal individuals are sometimes reported).

In any case, what is the reasoning behind deeming a spirit to be a more plausible explanation that a shapeshifter? Frankly, a creature that can change its form is more believable than a being which can choose whether to be real or not... At least to me.

• Like 1

I just recall from somewhere or someone ...a source... that they are bipedal and move with lightning speed and reflexes.

A hairy shoplifter on speed? lol

(apologies, am in a stoopid mood)

• Like 2

Well, I believe that all creatures imaginable are possible.

I also believe that there are many unexplained creatures in our midst.

However, I also firmly believe that human-beings aren't and can't be werewolves, or vampires or such.

It is only our desire to be something powerful and change-able that makes us want to believe we can be.

im a shifter, just give me a bottle of scotch and watch me turn into a righ c u n t

So something which has the ability to choose whether it's real (manifested) or not? Interesting... Alright then.

As a note, most werewolf accounts have the creature being quadrupedal, not bipedal (though bipedal individuals are sometimes reported).

In any case, what is the reasoning behind deeming a spirit to be a more plausible explanation that a shapeshifter? Frankly, a creature that can change its form is more believable than a being which can choose whether to be real or not... At least to me.

Okay, I havent really followed this werewolves at all. But someone discussed them with me once before. So I wasnt aware the majority of the sightings were quadrupedal. Well, I vouch a misidentified animal like a black bear or a large wolf or simply one's imagination getting carried away or just another hoax like the man in the ghillie suit hopping on all fours.

And how do you propose a shapeshifter can exist? Does your shapeshifter have a pulse and bleeds? What is its other forum? Human?

Rather than a beastly demonic apparition or spirit?

Okay, I havent really followed this werewolves at all. But someone discussed them with me once before. So I wasnt aware the majority of the sightings were quadrupedal. Well, I vouch a misidentified animal like a black bear or a large wolf or simply one's imagination getting carried away or just another hoax like the man in the ghillie suit hopping on all fours.

And how do you propose a shapeshifter can exist? Does your shapeshifter have a pulse and bleeds? What is its other forum? Human?

Rather than a beastly demonic apparition or spirit?

Well, I have no idea how shapeshifting would be possible. I don't completely discount the possibility, but nature as we currently understand would appear to prohibit it. I'm not saying either way that I vouch for shapeshifters, because I don't; a misidentified wolf or something is far more probable. And I would certainly ask for a reason to think that "demonic apparitions" or "spirits" exist at all, let alone to be a viable explanation for werewolf sightings.

Indeed there is, however saying "because a boneless aquatic creature that can exert extreme control over the colouration and texture of it's skin can change it's shape, then a man can turn into a wolf" is like saying "because the colour blue exists, and the TARDIS is blue, the TARDIS exists".

I agree .... I didnt say that at all

Well, I have no idea how shapeshifting would be possible. I don't completely discount the possibility, but nature as we currently understand would appear to prohibit it. I'm not saying either way that I vouch for shapeshifters, because I don't; a misidentified wolf or something is far more probable. And I would certainly ask for a reason to think that "demonic apparitions" or "spirits" exist at all, let alone to be a viable explanation for werewolf sightings.

So, a shapeshifter is more viable than a demonic entity?

What if you saw a one of these werewolves? And lets further elaborate, it resembled no known animal in the region? And there were some anthropomorphic characteristics to the creature? And ultimately you were convinced it was a "werewolf", would shapeshifter still be more viable than a demonic entity?

So, a shapeshifter is more viable than a demonic entity?

What if you saw a one of these werewolves? And lets further elaborate, it resembled no known animal in the region? And there were some anthropomorphic characteristics to the creature? And ultimately you were convinced it was a "werewolf", would shapeshifter still be more viable than a demonic entity?

Well, given there isn't any evidence of the existence of either shapeshifters or demonic entities, we can therefore determine that neither option would be a tenable explanation for such a sighting.

Well, given there isn't any evidence of the existence of either shapeshifters or demonic entities, we can therefore determine that neither option would be a tenable explanation for such a sighting.

Well, such sightings do tend to be subjective. But my argument still stands, personally I would most certainly rule out shapeshifter. It is biologically impossible for human tissue, muscles, and bones to melt and breakdown and reorganize into a carnivous creature or were-creature.