Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Challenge

ZaraKitty

Ah, understood. I know a lot of people love them but I just can't hop on this bandwagon. I can't stand them. I'd never hurt one but geez, I want them to go away...oh and little rats people call dogs, they can disappear too. Get a real dog!

Yes, I'm a jerk.

Hhahahhahah You are so funny!!!! I love all animals but cats have to be special, I just lost my special little kitty, she was one of a kind and I miss her so much. I have two big dogs too that I adore but I've had every size dog and they all have their good points and bad, it's personal choice. One made from life's experiences. If you had met my Daisy kitty, you would have loved her. She was almost dog like but used a cat box and didn't fetch. Of course I have one dog that doesn't fetch too... She's a total couch potato.... worse than the cat ever was!!! All 80+ pounds of her but she will love you to death. It's amazing how small she can get when she's trying to be a lap puppy.

Well, I see there are no "readers" willing to read real stuff. When gross generalizations and ambiguities are excluded (minimized), "powers" somehow vanish. What a shock :w00t:

Or do we see only frauds here, huh?

Hi bmk1245

quote:

"Its a very distinctive pattern, but you can put it in words if you prefer. Can you read it?"

"Well, I see there are no "readers" willing to read real stuff. When gross generalizations and ambiguities are excluded (minimized), "powers" somehow vanish. What a shock :w00t:

Or do we see only frauds here, huh? "

First off ...stirring the pot with me ...doesn't work....I can care less if you or anyone else likes, disagrees, or doesn't believe...

call me fraud, call me cold reader, call me for dinner!?...shrugs....

willing to read real stuff...hmmmm you want me to read a book to you? life story? precise like, you played with a ant farm when you was 7? You had a dirt bike and won little trophies? you was stuck in a traffic jam ...@ 3:pm yesterday? You have someone named Janice in your life, whom I think you have problems with?

These are just example's truely...;) but more like that? Alot more small words connected to the reading?

Waste of time.... or maybe you want more detailed ....like ....an affair, cheating on a love...

It can all be ripped apart ...cold reading etc.... still not believed!!

Nothing anyone does will ever prove anything!

I am pretty much done here .... ranting...

You have a wonderful full life...:)

[...]

precise like, you played with a ant farm when you was 7? You had a dirt bike and won little trophies? you was stuck in a traffic jam ...@ 3:pm yesterday? You have someone named Janice in your life, whom I think you have problems with?[...]

Nope. Wrong on all accounts: never saw ant farm "alive", only in documentaries/movies; never had dirt bike, nor won any trophies; I don't drive, I even don't have driver license; never met any person with name Janice (and you would have hard times to find name Janice in my country),

How about reading what I was "broadcasting intensely" for three days now, huh? I even put it as wallpaper on desktop.

Nope. Wrong on all accounts: never saw ant farm "alive", only in documentaries/movies; never had dirt bike, nor won any trophies; I don't drive, I even don't have driver license; never met any person with name Janice (and you would have hard times to find name Janice in my country),

How about reading what I was "broadcasting intensely" for three days now, huh? I even put it as wallpaper on desktop.

Ok...like I said that wasn't truely a read for you...just examples..

but now I understand...

not getting nothing from you or for you

yelp your right....completely!!

and on with both our lives!!

sorry I couldn't perform for you

but now I understand...

Dance monkey dance!! Sorry I had to. :innocent:

Dance monkey dance!! Sorry I had to. :innocent:

Nice...thanks

Ok ...this is the end for me....don't need to be crapped on by anyone...

yes I asked for it....by doing this challenge....

but I'm done ...

Hi Mattshark

Sorry not quite figured out the quote thing..being old and all...lol

but here's some of what you said....

"(cold reading is a technique commonly used to appear to have more information than you have about someone or a situaiton by using vague descriptions and questions. It is a very common technique used by psychics, it is also something that people will commonly do subconsciously when trying to think about another person they do not know. You will pick up on information gained from various aspects of their charachter and (in this case) their writing.

The human brain is set out to basically pick up vauge ideas and statements from people and translate them from others in a far more meaningful manner than they set out as well to create vague ideas in our heads about others.

I don't think you are doing this as fraud, as I said it is something the human brain naturally will do, but I do think this is the case.)"

and from another post ... please if you don't mind ty

"(I'm sceptical because as a scientist, I'd be bad at my job if I wasn't and secondly, there history of study in this field which has failed to yeild a single result without the data being tampered with or the control being comprimised.It isn't personal.

I also have other concerns on the energetics of the situations (energy is required to send and recieve - this means metabolics should atler too) and the signalling involved (ie the signal should be measurable and their should be reception points within the body for it).I'm sceptical because as a scientist, I'd be bad at my job if I wasn't and secondly, there history of study in this field which has failed to yeild a single result without the data being tampered with or the control being comprimised.It isn't personal.)"

Thank you for explaining your point of view.... Now I understand where your coming from. :)

No need for my defending myself here at all....whew that's a relief!! Jokingly really

Thanks again

Char

random thoughts

dog shaggy

Denise

new baby..crying

small fishing boat.. The pootner...

kept lures

fishing with father

airospace

John

Hey Char, finally getting back to you one this.

random thoughts: Probably not so for me, quite focused when I start on something

dog shaggy: cat person! lol

Denise: I think I have met one Denise ever, she was a friend of a friend, but we were both fans of the band Ash, never spoke to her much though.

new baby..crying: No children in my life!

small fishing boat.. The pootner...: My dad had a boat when I was a early teen, wasn't a fishing boat or called Pootner though

kept lures: never fished much with lures, don't own any

fishing with father: did that a couple of times

airospace: nothing really to go with that.

John: I have an uncle called John.

Not crapping on you, just putting up an honest response.

Edited by Mattshark

Sorry Beany got to point this out that Noetic Science is very much not science, it is done in what in academic terms is considered fraudulent. The are full of male cow defecation and do not follow the basic rules to prevent bias in experiments, they basically make stuff up.

The are not recognised or valued by any real scientific institute for very good reason. They are no better than the Discovery Institute.

OK, got that, and accept it. Do you think that is generally true of all or most of the research being done in this field. And do you have any thought about the rest of my post? As a reader, though I don't do many, these kinds of conversations are helpful to me.

Ok ...this is the end for me....don't need to be crapped on by anyone...

yes I asked for it....by doing this challenge....

but I'm done ...

Charm (and anyone else who has been brave enough to have a go), may I offer you a bit of an olive branch (from a direction you probably wouldn't have expected..!) - I greatly appreciate and respect your willingness to have a go at this, and take the 'results' on the chin. May I suggest that you don't take it all too seriously or to heart. For even from a vaguely scientific point of view :), trying to do a 'reading' over such an impersonal and anonymising media as the Interwebz is pretty ridiculous when you think about it..

And please note that I do NOT 100% dismiss the possibility that such things could be possible - in fact I'd love it if there were such abilities, and there was one incident relating to my own family that still gives me something to think about .. (a story for another time..)

I don't want you or other 'readers' to stop what you are doing (ie reading face to face).. but I would ask you to be careful, realistic, not give false hopes or fears (and preferably not charge.. :D)

You might be wondering why do I think you shouldn't stop? Simply because.. as long as those provisos apply then the simple fact is that you are conversing with someone who probably wants to discuss themselves and their situation and look for insights. That is most likely going to helpful to them, and possibly you too.

And all that applies even in the 'worst' scenario, namely that all you might be doing may simply be cold-reading (even if it is not deliberate).. Because cold-reading is in some ways a very useful skill - being able to read people's expressions, listen really carefully, be encouraging, look for body language, etc..

Anyway, do carry on - I hope all that didn't make it worse..!

Edited by Chrlzs
  • Like 1

OK, got that, and accept it. Do you think that is generally true of all or most of the research being done in this field. And do you have any thought about the rest of my post? As a reader, though I don't do many, these kinds of conversations are helpful to me.

For the most part yes, most of the major research was done between the 60's and 80's a huge volume of work found no real data, there were some that did, but these were all found to have procedural issues or on some occasions blatant fraud. By the time all the major scientific work had ceased, there had been 3 decades of heavy research with no results found.

If we can make another happy over one thing that hits. It still can be a positive experience for both parties.

Edited by sensitive touch

Charm (and anyone else who has been brave enough to have a go), may I offer you a bit of an olive branch (from a direction you probably wouldn't have expected..!) - I greatly appreciate and respect your willingness to have a go at this, and take the 'results' on the chin. May I suggest that you don't take it all too seriously or to heart. For even from a vaguely scientific point of view :), trying to do a 'reading' over such an impersonal and anonymising media as the Interwebz is pretty ridiculous when you think about it..

And please note that I do NOT 100% dismiss the possibility that such things could be possible - in fact I'd love it if there were such abilities, and there was one incident relating to my own family that still gives me something to think about .. (a story for another time..)

I don't want you or other 'readers' to stop what you are doing (ie reading face to face).. but I would ask you to be careful, realistic, not give false hopes or fears (and preferably not charge.. :D)

You might be wondering why do I think you shouldn't stop? Simply because.. as long as those provisos apply then the simple fact is that you are conversing with someone who probably wants to discuss themselves and their situation and look for insights. That is most likely going to helpful to them, and possibly you too.

And all that applies even in the 'worst' scenario, namely that all you might be doing may simply be cold-reading (even if it is not deliberate).. Because cold-reading is in some ways a very useful skill - being able to read people's expressions, listen really carefully, be encouraging, look for body language, etc..

Anyway, do carry on - I hope all that didn't make it worse..!

What a lovely response. Yes, as a reader, I think one of the most valuable things we can provide is a time/space where people can talk about what's troubling them with someone who has nothing emotionally invested, and who can often see the issues from a different perspective. If we're very lucky we can play a small role in someone's healing journey. The psychic stuff can often help us identify the issues or people involved, or specific traumas, but it is a means, not an end. Just being present in a loving, non-judgemental way, whether one is psychic or not, is important.

but now I understand...

Ah, well... Apparently nature gave me quite a powerful firewall... My brain not accessible to "readers", despite all efforts of yours (and mine, for that matter)...

If we can make another happy over one thing that hits. It still can be a positive experience for both parties.

Right, if it can't be done without making stuff up, deception, and - I'll be blunt here - lies.

Shame on you. I myself and the people I know do not lie. There is no reason to lie. It is so ridiculous that you would think that. You can call it what you what but we do not lie we say what we hear and see and it is sad you have to have the attitude you presenting here.

I left before all this negativity towards readings. This is almost the same as bullying people. You do not know who I am so how can you judge and say what I do is lieing, I would never put down a person if I really do not know them. I do not know you or your job, but we are called all these bad things. Sad for you get so angry.

I left before all this negativity towards readings. This is almost the same as bullying people. You do not know who I am so how can you judge and say what I do is lieing, I would never put down a person if I really do not know them. I do not know you or your job, but we are called all these bad things. Sad for you get so angry.

Just one post would have sufficed..

ST, may I strongly suggest that you re-read that post you are so upset about, take out your emotive response and your belief that it applied to you or someone in this thread. When I read it, I took it to mean that he agreed as long as the readings were done without deceit.

Let's be brutally honest here - there ARE some people who falsely take advantage of others and claim paranormal powers, when in fact they are deliberately using cold-reading techniques, even hidden microphones/earpieces and assistants who have (sometimes quite illegally) gathered information about their 'victims'.

So there are liars and cheats out there. Now had someone here called you that directly, then you would have a right to complain (if you didn't lie). But in this case I think you just took that comment way too personally. Anyway, just my 2c.. maybe bmk may wish to clarify things..

Anyway, you should be reporting it to the mods, not whining on thread. :P

Shame on you. I myself and the people I know do not lie. There is no reason to lie. It is so ridiculous that you would think that. You can call it what you what but we do not lie we say what we hear and see and it is sad you have to have the attitude you presenting here.

Sorry, for being blunt, but in my dictionary self-deception "I have powers" is very close to "Lie" (many will disagree with me here). But if you genuinely have "reading powers", you can easily do what I asked charm for, not just throwing whatever random image your brain generates. That can be done by anyone. I can imagine and then throw "I see a man walking on the sea shore looking for amber". Heck that would fit almost every person in my country. Voilá - I have powers.

runs off, looking for place to open "Real reader" atelier

Guess what it does not fit me. Plus your are one I will be reading. After I read you then bring it on. And until I work out my issues I will give you more than you would ever think.

Guess what it does not fit me. Plus your are one I will be reading. After I read you then bring it on. And until I work out my issues I will give you more than you would ever think.

We'll see what you are capable of.

Anyone want to read my past live/s while we're here? No bashing. Skeptics welcome, but don't be hurtful.