Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinosaur wind may have caused climate change

Still Waters

Huge plant-eating dinosaurs may have produced enough greenhouse gas by breaking wind to alter the Earth's climate, research suggests.

Like huge cows, the mighty sauropods would have generated enormous quantities of methane.

Sauropods, recognisable by their long necks and tails, were widespread around 150 million years ago.

They included some of the largest animals to walk the Earth, such as Diplodocus, which measured 150 feet and weighed up to 45 tonnes.

Scientists believe that, just as in cows, methane-producing bacteria aided the digestion of sauropods by fermenting their plant food.

http://www.telegraph...ate-change.html

• Like 2

The front page article link was broken, it's fixed now.

150 million years ago

there was a lot of puff and blow

it would seem that Methane gas

ejected from Dinosaurs ass

changed the air its hard to believe

I thought its petrol fumes we breathe

Whats tomorrow's article? Did an untimely lightning strike spark off dinosaur flatulence cause their extinction?

• Like 1

Its fact that one Jumbo Jet going one way across the Atlantic from U.K/U.S.A or reverse,spews out more obnoxious gas than 260 cars do in one year..Its not organic life thats wrecking the planet,but try telling that to the Company's who are making mega bucks from the damage they are causing.

• Like 1

What about the tons upon tons of crap that volcanoes spew out 24/7 since the dawning of time.?

• Like 1

Ban Vindaloos then, cos I had one last night and I'm sure I've just added 1 deg to the Earth's global temp... :cry:

Edited by PeacefulAnarchy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

next it will be human flatulence due to the overpopulation. The explanations are getting more far out than ever. I am sure all land animals on the planet flatulate at one time or another including scientists. Have to blame it on anything but greenhouse gasses ...

I wish they would come to a more realistic conclusion than flatulence....

Edited by minera

it could get a bit dangerous with all those corks flying around.

Wasnt this an episode of south park ?

*titters*

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't seem correct and by the way....diplodocus is not 150 feet and it is not 45 tonnes...

It is close to 100 feet or a bit more and weighing like 20 tonnes...It's a slimmer sauropod.

It could also be that climate change caused the dinos....

• Like 1

It could also be that climate change caused the dinos....

That's an interesting thought. .. as in, warmer and/or wetter climate boosted vegetation, which boosted herbivores, which boosted larger and larger carnivors ?