Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepout at a rest area in Florida

epiphone620271

Before I begin, I would like to give a little background info about myself. I am a 24 yr old truck driver. Have only been driving coast to coast for about two and a half years but I have managed to see some amazing and beautiful things. I'm not really the type of person to get scared or distressed easily. I love to watch so called "ghost stories" on t.v. and on youtube. About 4 months ago I was driving westbound on interstate 10, and stopped at a rest area right outside of Tallahassee Florida. I pulled in and parked the truck like normal. I got out of the truck and locked my doors like always, seeing as how my codriver was asleep in the back of our Peterbilt. Before I could even finish turning the key, I had an overwhelming feeling that I was being watched. I didn't really think about it at first, until I made it to the back of my trailer. I saw what I thought at the time was a man about 6 ft 3 in tall, wearing a solid black hooded sweatshirt, navy blue denim jeans and brown heavy duty work boots. The strangest part of his appearence was the fact that his hood was pulled up over his head, and they way he stood, I couldn't see any features of a face. It was just a darker shade of black than the other surroundings in the 3am moonlight. Its head was tilted down with arms crossed across his chest, standing with legs about shoulder width apart. I tried not to think much about it, and just headed up the walking ramp towards the restrooms. Once I was about 50ft from the restrooms, I heard kind of a swishing sound in the grass. When I turned, that same figure had went around the railed off ramp I walked up, and was standing on top of the hill in the grass. It was still standing in the same dead stare,arms crossed position I first saw it as in the parking lot, with its face still hidden from view of the light. I walked into the restroom, pulled out my hunting knife and held it in my hand while I finished my buisiness. By now my heart was racing and at the time I thought it was someone trying to rob me. I braced my hand on the handle of the door, and held my knife blade down ready to defend my life. I swung open the door only to find the figure standing the exact same way DIRECTLY in front of the restroom about 15 feet away. But again it was just beyond the light so I couldn't made out many features. But the fear and feeling I had come over me while I stared in disbelief that it was just waiting on me there, made me feel like it wasn't a human that was staring me down! Instead of taunting the figure, even though I had my hunting knife ready to use, I powerwalked back through the grass towards my truck. Just before I got to my truck, my insticts told me to turn around. I spun around and found it was standing perfectly still on the hill in the grass watching me again! I locked views with it again for several seconds and the cold feeling that came over me was like nothing id even felt before. I got back in my truck, and was so creeped out that I accidently got on the highway headed east instead of west....For the longest time I thought it was human. I started to remember that I never saw it move at all. No leg movement likee it was walking, it would just appear even closer to me everytime I saw it. No average person would know when I was going to turn around and have enough time to be standing exactley in the same pose numerous time. I've been told that demons can take the appearence of humans to blend in, but the negative energy was overwhelming. I feel that I was lucky to have made it out alive.

• Like 2

*shivers* :o

That's kind of creepy. I wonder what it was.

If it wasn't a Florida State Trooper you were exceptionally lucky.... they hunt in damned packs near Tallahassee ... GRRRRRRRR

*Shivers*

Wow. That is not a pleasant encounter. I'm glad you trusted your instincts though & had a way to at least protect yourself. I don't know what you honestly encountered, it could have been a very dark energy. I'm a little surprised it just watched you, but I suspect, you were not who it was looking for. What ever it wanted, thankfully you did not have it, but the fact that you saw it at least suggests (to me) that it wanted you to remember it. Human or otherwise.

If you ever find yourself encountering it again, this time in your home or somewhere else besides there, post it. There are people here who can help you & let you know how to deal with it, or at the very least, help you find someone locally who can assist you.

Note to myself: do not go to highway rest stops at 3 AM.

First I want to say welcome to UM. That story was creepy, it would of scared anyone. I wonder what it was.

What you told us was a very frightening experience, makes us wonder the chance of any strange occurrence like you (epiphone) had encountered and no place like it is a rest stop. In Cal. we closed our rest stops to save the state department of transportation (CalTrans) some money, then to think about the spiritual residue effect when the limits of time and space seem to bleed over and anyone in the present can "bump" into someone from the past (not exactly). I heard of demons can take "human form" to entice humans or mortals into their trips like possession of their souls, then again what a story and thanks for sharing it with us, epiphone.

wow...very creepy story and thanks for sharing it...

sounds like some sort of entity; i hesitate to say what kind, tho...obviously not a shadow being thing, and probably not extra-terrestrial tho one can't be certain on that score..

have you had any more encounters since then? did anything out of the ordinary happen after you left this thing?

Thanks for all the replies and input on my experience. It was truely unnerving at the time. Enough to get an experienced driver to drive off in the wrong direction! But since that night I haven't had any kind of related event happen.

Before I begin, I would like to give a little background info about myself. I am a 24 yr old truck driver. Have only been driving coast to coast for about two and a half years but I have managed to see some amazing and beautiful things. I'm not really the type of person to get scared or distressed easily. I love to watch so called "ghost stories" on t.v. and on youtube. About 4 months ago I was driving westbound on interstate 10, and stopped at a rest area right outside of Tallahassee Florida. I pulled in and parked the truck like normal. I got out of the truck and locked my doors like always, seeing as how my codriver was asleep in the back of our Peterbilt. Before I could even finish turning the key, I had an overwhelming feeling that I was being watched. I didn't really think about it at first, until I made it to the back of my trailer. I saw what I thought at the time was a man about 6 ft 3 in tall, wearing a solid black hooded sweatshirt, navy blue denim jeans and brown heavy duty work boots. The strangest part of his appearence was the fact that his hood was pulled up over his head, and they way he stood, I couldn't see any features of a face. It was just a darker shade of black than the other surroundings in the 3am moonlight. Its head was tilted down with arms crossed across his chest, standing with legs about shoulder width apart. I tried not to think much about it, and just headed up the walking ramp towards the restrooms. Once I was about 50ft from the restrooms, I heard kind of a swishing sound in the grass. When I turned, that same figure had went around the railed off ramp I walked up, and was standing on top of the hill in the grass. It was still standing in the same dead stare,arms crossed position I first saw it as in the parking lot, with its face still hidden from view of the light. I walked into the restroom, pulled out my hunting knife and held it in my hand while I finished my buisiness. By now my heart was racing and at the time I thought it was someone trying to rob me. I braced my hand on the handle of the door, and held my knife blade down ready to defend my life. I swung open the door only to find the figure standing the exact same way DIRECTLY in front of the restroom about 15 feet away. But again it was just beyond the light so I couldn't made out many features. But the fear and feeling I had come over me while I stared in disbelief that it was just waiting on me there, made me feel like it wasn't a human that was staring me down! Instead of taunting the figure, even though I had my hunting knife ready to use, I powerwalked back through the grass towards my truck. Just before I got to my truck, my insticts told me to turn around. I spun around and found it was standing perfectly still on the hill in the grass watching me again! I locked views with it again for several seconds and the cold feeling that came over me was like nothing id even felt before. I got back in my truck, and was so creeped out that I accidently got on the highway headed east instead of west....For the longest time I thought it was human. I started to remember that I never saw it move at all. No leg movement likee it was walking, it would just appear even closer to me everytime I saw it. No average person would know when I was going to turn around and have enough time to be standing exactley in the same pose numerous time. I've been told that demons can take the appearence of humans to blend in, but the negative energy was overwhelming. I feel that I was lucky to have made it out alive.

Thanks for sharing. Great story! I'll add it to the dogman experiences database

Thanks for sharing. Great story! I'll add it to the dogman experiences database

Where did he say anything about dogman? Edited by Rlyeh

hello there,

couple of quick questions if I may.

how did you make out that the boots were brown?

also without seeing facial features how did you lock stares with him?

many thanks

I noticed as many details as I could at first in parking lot. There was more light there. It was standing in a stright foward face to face potion

How can you be sure that it wasn't a mugger? Just because you didn't see him walk closer to you?

Maybe, will never ner know but he had every oppurtunity to come in on me in the bathroom.

That maybe true but still it's a huge jump from mugger/weirdo to demon.

I have a question. You said you drove off in the wrong direction, correct? So this was an off-exit rest area because it is legally impossible to go the wrong way leaving a rest area on the interstate. Also, if you just had to use the bathroom, why did you go through the trouble of getting off the interstate and going to a rest area when you could have just gone to a rest area on the interstate? Those semis can be cumbersome and it would have saved you a bit of trouble, unless you just really had to go ;)

@andami- I'm not sure how much traveling you have done, but some states build one rest area that both east/west or north/south traffic can get to in order to save money. I didn't go directly into traffic, just merely got back on the interstate eastbound instead of west.

@andami- I'm not sure how much traveling you have done, but some states build one rest area that both east/west or north/south traffic can get to in order to save money. I didn't go directly into traffic, just merely got back on the interstate eastbound instead of west.

I've run into some crazy characters at night especially here in the city... I've heard children that weren't there, shared cigarettes with someone named Diablo who drove a really weird looking truck and nearly gotten mugged several times, I'm sure as a driver you know the difference between apprehension and straight out fear. Sounds like you ran into one of those crazy characters also, no telling what happened there...

Thats a realy cool creepy creature lol. Reminds me of the mothman some how. If it wasn't human I think your lucky to have got to hang out with it for a while, kind of like the universe dropping its veal a little which it seldom does as we all know. If its what you think it is and I sort of agree from my own experiences , you got to see something most never will. I don't believe in deamons and the like but it may well have not been human, really cool creepy entity though.

How can you be sure that it wasn't a mugger? Just because you didn't see him walk closer to you?

That's a pretty crap mugger if he just stood there staring at the guy the whole time.

Not to mention, a guy on his own in a rest stop at 3 in the morning, seems like if ever there was a good opportunity for mugging then that scenario would probably be it!

thats scary. *shudder* i wonder if it was a demonic entity of some kind :o

Maybe he was waiting for someone else or maybe he had just killed someone and dumped their body or maybe he was off his face... Who knows