Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal Footage: Is this Real or Hoax?

umbop

For years mellowb1rd has vehemently claimed that he is posting "real" paranormal footage, I'm sure many of you are familiar with his videos.

I have my own opinion about this, which I'll keep to myself. But what do you guys think about his latest video?

Has he debunked himself, or could this be genuine?

Does this make a mockery of the work we paranormal investigators are doing? Does it validate our work?

Hey umbop.

You can see shadows moving after the chairs stop. Simple video editing...

Edit: Easy to see around 12 seconds.

The video is very average.

He debunked himself.

Most paranormal investigation is itself a mockery and this makes a mockery of the mockery.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 3

You can also see his foot in the far right hand corner at 0:19, and his hand on the leg of the chair at 0:22

Edited by umbop
  • Like 1

You can also see his foot in the far right hand corner at 0:19, and his hand on the leg of the chair at 0:22

Maybe I shouldn't have jumped in so early so that some believers could have spoken first :w00t:

Gotta call a spade a spade!

Poor quality edits really, every chair as flaws around the legs or seating portion of each chair, lol.

Sadly Mellow proved himself to be a fake in this video. Not only is it making a mockery of folks working in the paranormal field, It's a slap in the face to anyone who has ever experienced the paranormal. It's hard enough as it is to try to tell others about your experiences without being mocked without hoaxers like him.

• Like 1

Perhaps the hoaxter wanted to see just what folks will believe without question? Hard to say why some folks do what they do for sure. Do I believe this kind of thing could happen? I think it's possible but rare. I've seen and experienced some crazy stuff over the years. About the time you think you've seen it all, something new comes along and grabs your attention. It's always good to have others with you when these things happen, so you know you're not insane if they see or have the same experience too.

I think its absolutely amazing what a green screen can do.When I first watched mellowbird videos over a year and half ago,I actually thought there might be something legitimately going on because those vids looked so realistic,Having experienced something personally which is paranormal like in nature , I, at the time had let my skeptical guard down big time. The thing is, some of the videos look very realistic,but then after a while mellowbird gets lazy and post a vid like this one which is very obviously a fake. In fact his standards have gone down some,since I last checked since I think this is one of his worst vids I've seen of his yet.

I had investigated further on the internet and found a vid in some forum,where a guy used a computer program that analyzed one of his most realistic videos which showed his shadow moving the items.The program was somehow able to take away some of the greenscreen and show what was really going on. Wish I could find that video,but I forgot which forum I saw it in,and I'm too lazy to spend the time to look for it :P

If one does just a little bit of investigation they can find how easy it is too fake a video such as this.Why do these people do it? I think they're usually the lonely type looking for attention.Some have an inferiority complex and get a high out of feeling smarter than others by fooling them to feel better about themselves,They may even be making some money because youtube will pay a certain amount of money based on viewer count. That's why I don't trust anybody who I don't know.Some of the hardcore believers who knew a thing or two about video software were railing on mellowbrds and others like him as fakes on their websites ,because they could easily see what was happening in his vids.

Too many liars and charlatans in this world.That's why I'm extremely skeptical of a vid or photograph coming from anyone I don't know and personally trust. :yes:

Edited by mattryan209

• 2 weeks later...

I think its absolutely amazing what a green screen can do.When I first watched mellowbird videos over a year and half ago,I actually thought there might be something legitimately going on because those vids looked so realistic,Having experienced something personally which is paranormal like in nature , I, at the time had let my skeptical guard down big time. The thing is, some of the videos look very realistic,but then after a while mellowbird gets lazy and post a vid like this one which is very obviously a fake. In fact his standards have gone down some,since I last checked since I think this is one of his worst vids I've seen of his yet.

I had investigated further on the internet and found a vid in some forum,where a guy used a computer program that analyzed one of his most realistic videos which showed his shadow moving the items.The program was somehow able to take away some of the greenscreen and show what was really going on. Wish I could find that video,but I forgot which forum I saw it in,and I'm too lazy to spend the time to look for it :P

If one does just a little bit of investigation they can find how easy it is too fake a video such as this.Why do these people do it? I think they're usually the lonely type looking for attention.Some have an inferiority complex and get a high out of feeling smarter than others by fooling them to feel better about themselves,They may even be making some money because youtube will pay a certain amount of money based on viewer count. That's why I don't trust anybody who I don't know.Some of the hardcore believers who knew a thing or two about video software were railing on mellowbrds and others like him as fakes on their websites ,because they could easily see what was happening in his vids.

Too many liars and charlatans in this world.That's why I'm extremely skeptical of a vid or photograph coming from anyone I don't know and personally trust. :yes:

Especially these days where anyone has access to any editing software via the internet. Even the more complex software is now very user friendly. And if you can't figure anything out for yourself, a quick Google of 'xxxxxx tutorial' will give you what you need. It's kind of a shame that we have to try and debunk everything, but all the sweeter, if in our lifetime, we don't have to debunk 1 thing.

@Timothy,

Yes it would be great to reach a point where we don't have to debunk everything.What would really be great is if we could reach a point in our society where people would respect themselves and others enough not to lie and take advantage of others by trying to fool them into believing what they created is real.

@OP

Its funny because I just checked Mellowbrds site and there is a whole lot of backlash against this video.He's even trying hard to cover himself up by changing his introduction to this video in this video and another a couple days after the fact by saying they are a fake and how he wanted to experiment on what it would look like if he actually faked a video.After seeing all this backlash from his fans he's desperately trying to save himself. He made another video showing how he was "experimenting"on some of his lesser liked videos and that's why they don't look nearly as real as some of his others LOL

He just put up a video where he says he just bought a greeensuit for the first time out of "curiosity" and says he doesn't like it because it produces too much shadows Its funny because those shadows are exactly what I saw in first popular video on his site after someone analyzed his video with a computer program and took away some of the layers he was adding to the video to try and hide the shadows.This guys desperately trying to cover his tracks ,but I think most of his fans now realize he's left the cat of the bag.I think even the most gullible of his fans are now seeing him for what he really is.I'm of the belief that you can't keep continuously lying without being exposed sooner or later. My favorite line from Mellowbrd"I don't care what anyone thinks about my videos". :rolleyes:

Edited by mattryan209

first chair gets put on table you can see his hand under the seat move away after it was placed on the table. yah its poor editing butt it shows he cann do it

Edited by Brian Topp

Definitely editing involved... I can see his shadow when he moves each chair. "FAKE".

• 1 month later...

since the last replies...he has actually come out and confessed to all his videos. fishing line was his main prop for almost all his videos. He then green suited the levitating chairs. He has since posted videos of the editing process for some of his videos. quite the fishing line guru. ;)

since the last replies...he has actually come out and confessed to all his videos. fishing line was his main prop for almost all his videos. He then green suited the levitating chairs. He has since posted videos of the editing process for some of his videos. quite the fishing line guru. ;)

Where is his confession? Link please.

A lot of drama has happened and there was a guy who pretended to be him with a simular name and said he lied.

For years mellowb1rd has vehemently claimed that he is posting "real" paranormal footage, I'm sure many of you are familiar with his videos.

I have my own opinion about this, which I'll keep to myself. But what do you guys think about his latest video?

Has he debunked himself, or could this be genuine?

Does this make a mockery of the work we paranormal investigators are doing? Does it validate our work?

I'm just going to answer the questions..

What do I think about his latest video? His most ambitious work yet. Unfortunately, also his biggest screw up.

I never thought he was genuine in the first place, so this didn't debunk anything for me.. Just another entertainment. And like most paranormal entertainment- it was pretty fun at first, then as he needed to keep stretching it, the show got lamer.

Does it make a mockery? Probably not any more or less than other hoax videos, or movies like Paranormal Activity.

Does it validate? I don't think so. But I think it can be a valuable tool. If a person is seriously hunting, they should indeed be up to date on the various kinds of ways people can do hoaxing now a days.

Where is his confession? Link please.

A lot of drama has happened and there was a guy who pretended to be him with a simular name and said he lied.

[media=]

[/media]

clear to note its the same guy, same kitchen, etc. really well done set of vids he did, I think more people were dissappointed that he gave it up. LOL. But apparently people began to pick out the line in some of his previous vids...even though he was digitally erasing them to the best of his ability. they were fun to originally watch.

Edited by Sheetz

Sadly Mellow proved himself to be a fake in this video. Not only is it making a mockery of folks working in the paranormal field, It's a slap in the face to anyone who has ever experienced the paranormal. It's hard enough as it is to try to tell others about your experiences without being mocked without hoaxers like him.

Totally agree, and if you have legitimate evidence, like a class A EVP because of junk like this all over the internet the paranormal is never taken seriously. It's ashame that this has become just another method to get your fifteen minutes of fame.

[media=]

[/media]

clear to note its the same guy, same kitchen, etc. really well done set of vids he did, I think more people were dissappointed that he gave it up. LOL. But apparently people began to pick out the line in some of his previous vids...even though he was digitally erasing them to the best of his ability. they were fun to originally watch.

That is not a confession. What he said he was going to use methods out there to replicate his "paranormal" and upload to see what people say.

That is not a confession. What he said he was going to use methods out there to replicate his "paranormal" and upload to see what people say.

I noticed that also, he was trying to " prove " he is not faking anything....

He proved that he is a above average video editor, and I am sure he did not use all of his editing ability for these videos :)

This poltergeist activity video was FAKED. See THIS link for more information. I made this "Poltergeist" video, to explore some of the techniques I've been reading about on the comments pages of paranormal videos as to how the activity could be staged. This is one of two such poltergeist videos that I made. Here is the other: There still seems to be some confusion about all this. Just READ the descriptions and you won't be confused.

I removed the links. Yeah... not to mention he moved onto the 2nd chair far too quickly in comparison to what I have seen in other, erm..., "unconfirmed" videos of poltergeist activities.

Edited by Paradigm2929

There a few ways to prove or disprove his paranormal nonsense.

1. Get multiple LIVE webcams set up. Downfall is he can easily subsitute live video with prerecorded footage.

2. Get some real researchers in, not self proclaimed paranormal experts!

3. Get Sakari to stay at this guy house for a month.

• Like 2

Totally agree, and if you have legitimate evidence, like a class A EVP

EVP can be easily be tampered with or as my previous experiements had shown, Voice recorders can pick up very faint sounds or from long distances. People also with sound edits, distord the original sound either intentionally or unintentionally.

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with this type of thing. Not only is that type of footage easily faked, the fact that it is on video makes it even more suspicious to me. I mean, when it is on video that means that the person shooting it is controlling the viewer Point of View and can exclude things that they don't want you to see. When I see a video of a chair floating and the chair is perfectly framed right in the middle of the cameras field of view and in perfect focus, that makes me suspicious.

That said, I don't see anything immediately that disproves that video. I'm just saying that there is reason to suspect it.