Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Much Will Earth's Seas Rise?

Still Waters

With a significant portion of the world's population living within close proximity to the oceans, often in large cities, rising sea levels bring the potential for devastating consequences.

But scientists are still unable to make predictions precise enough for people to plan how to handle the loss of land and threat to coastal communities expected over this century, two researchers point out in a commentary this week in the May 4 issue of the journal Science.

"We know sea level is going to rise, but how much, and how fast, and where, we really still don't know," co-author Josh Willis, a climate scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, told LiveScience.

http://news.yahoo.co...-201705385.html

Refreshing to see a scientist say, "I don't actually know," rather than, "We're all going to die." Warms my heart.

• Like 1

The page isn't coming up. Bummer, I love on the coast.

Best answer> not very much. Perhaps 60' or so. It has happened in the past and humans had NOTHING to do with it.

I'm so bored of this subject. They said millions would be homeless by 2010 because of AGW, where are they?

They said millions would be dead by 2012 because of AGW, where was that exactly? Why don't they sort out the real problems on Earth instead of all this fear spreading?

"While most experts would agree that the melting ice caps".... right off the bat, this article reveals mind-boggling ignorance. Let us assume the both the North and South pole ice caps will melt. Now anybody, who believes that a melted North Pole ice cap has ANY impact on sea levels is not qualified to write anything about science (or to graduate from 4th grade, for that matter). Sheesh!

"While most experts would agree that the melting ice caps".... right off the bat, this article reveals mind-boggling ignorance. Let us assume the both the North and South pole ice caps will melt. Now anybody, who believes that a melted North Pole ice cap has ANY impact on sea levels is not qualified to write anything about science (or to graduate from 4th grade, for that matter). Sheesh!

LOL! Good point, for those that don't get it the arctic ice pretty much completely melts every year.

Now I'm sure there is some explanation to do with tidal forces and gravitational fields and such as to why the levels wouldn't rise uniformly, but I've never heard it explained. Anyone?

the sea level will drop, there be an ice age on the way, global warming is a big lie, you may have noticed the last couple of years they call it climate change instead, their edging their bets so they can say they got it right when the ice is upon us.

• Like 1

@ Darkwind: I too, have been known to "love" on the coast.

• Like 2

Best answer> not very much. Perhaps 60' or so. It has happened in the past and humans had NOTHING to do with it.

Based on volume estimates (an inexact science), melting of all temperate-zone glaciers would raise sea levels about 18 inches. Add another 18 inches for Greenland. Guesstimates for Antarctica are all over the place, ranging from 100 feet to about 330 feet. If you're above those elevations, you won't have to move (Some of Florida will still be above water.).

Pack ice, at either pole, because it is floating, will have almost no effect on sea levels.

At the current rate, temperate zone glaciers will disappear by 2080. The Arctic Ocean will be essentially ice-free by 2040. The breakup of Greenland's central ice cap will start about the same time, though there is already a lot of melting going on. Antarctica will probably be safe from a major break up for at least most of this century.

Personally, I'm not apt to make it past 2040. Good luck!

Doug

LOL! Good point, for those that don't get it the arctic ice pretty much completely melts every year.

That's now. In case you don't remember your history: Perry's North Pole team walked to the pole over the frozen sea during the summer.

The sea has only been melting off since the 1950s when a decline in Arctic summer ice was first noted and it still hasn't melted off completely. We started seeing declines in winter ice in the 1970s. Progressively more and more melts off each year.

Doug

It's been well documented that the antarctic ice shelf is increasing in size, and scientists are unsure of the reason.

Not much mention of this by the alarmists, they seem to skirt over the subject and just cherry pick the areas that support their theory.

Also the unexpected increase in the volume of the himalayan glaciers, not much talk of these either.

• Like 2

I'm so bored of this subject. They said millions would be homeless by 2010 because of AGW, where are they?

They said millions would be dead by 2012 because of AGW, where was that exactly? Why don't they sort out the real problems on Earth instead of all this fear spreading?

I've been following this topic for a couple decades now. Can't seem to recall when "they" said anything of the sort with those dates. Reference please?

It's been well documented that the antarctic ice shelf is increasing in size, and scientists are unsure of the reason.

Not much mention of this by the alarmists, they seem to skirt over the subject and just cherry pick the areas that support their theory.

Also the unexpected increase in the volume of the himalayan glaciers, not much talk of these either.

Its been well documented where please? Its easy to spout off statements like this but please provide a reference that includes any sort of verifiable data. All published data I've seen over the last few years points to the opposite of your statement.

Based on volume estimates (an inexact science), melting of all temperate-zone glaciers would raise sea levels about 18 inches. Add another 18 inches for Greenland. Guesstimates for Antarctica are all over the place, ranging from 100 feet to about 330 feet. If you're above those elevations, you won't have to move (Some of Florida will still be above water.).

I hereby retract that 18-inch figure for Greenland.

There is some good info at:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-much-will-global-warming-raise-sea-levels

Doug

I met an old friend on the bus few years ago. I thought he had been quite sane until then. He had been in a conference and he was convinced that soon ice caps will melt and the water will rise 60 meters (200 ft) and we will all drown. That was a bit too much.

Why has nobody discussed about the possibility that the water levels might drop? in the (unlikely) scenario that the ice caps melt that is. When water freezes it expands. When ice melts water shrinks. Therefore there is a possibility that water levels will drop as well.

I met an old friend on the bus few years ago. I thought he had been quite sane until then. He had been in a conference and he was convinced that soon ice caps will melt and the water will rise 60 meters (200 ft) and we will all drown. That was a bit too much.

60 meters has been batted about and it is a possibility if Antarctica melts off. But that probably won't happen in this century.

Why has nobody discussed about the possibility that the water levels might drop? in the (unlikely) scenario that the ice caps melt that is. When water freezes it expands. When ice melts water shrinks. Therefore there is a possibility that water levels will drop as well.

The ice we're concerned about is the ice on land. When it melts, the water runs into the ocean, raising sea levels. We're not worried about floating ice; the amount it can raise water levels is miniscule.

Water's greatest density occurs at 4 degrees Centigrade. Between freezing and 4 degrees, water contracts, taking up less volume. But above 4 degrees, it starts to expand, taking up more volume. There is a certain amount of sea level rise projected as a result of the oceans getting warmer.

Doug

The antartic ice sheets will not start melting until the average temperature stops being -50°C

As far as i am aware, ice has never melted in sub 0 conditions

I've been following this topic for a couple decades now. Can't seem to recall when "they" said anything of the sort with those dates. Reference please?

Just google it, there's plenty of info available. But here's just a couple...

http://environment.about.com/od/globalwarming/a/envirorefugees.htm

and

http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/home/Frontpage/2007/01/08/01291.html

now if some of you start do the usual and discredit the sources, as I've said 'google it'!

Its been well documented where please? Its easy to spout off statements like this but please provide a reference that includes any sort of verifiable data. All published data I've seen over the last few years points to the opposite of your statement.

Again google it, but here you are anyway-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/globalwarming/9206785/Himalayan-glaciers-growing-despite-global-warming.html

The point I'm trying to make is, this is all guess work and theories. But to come up with apocalypse type comments is just fear mongering and as I've shown in my previous reply to you, can come back and bite you in the ass.(I know personally you did not make the comment).

As I've mentioned in previous threads, my family and I live a green life style, because it's cheaper and better for our health and the environment. I find cars digusting dirty things and I hate pollution, but I also hate people trying to pull the wool over my eyes for their own profit.

Give me solid evidence that CO2 and methane etc... is the cause for climate change and I will join the masses. If everyone is so sure to the point of painting various doomsday scenarios and not even debating the point on TV, then there must be irrefutable evidence to support the theory.

Regards

When Noah went through the flood,the wells from the earth sprang forth.The oceans sank to depths lower than mankind was prepared for.Our Almighty creator recreated the earth.Water came from sources that no-one was prepared for.He wanted to rid the earth of the genetic deviations that the fallen angels played with.Which is why God sent forth water from sources that mankind knew nothing of to rid the earth of the mangled mess that arose from the fallen angels meddling.The flood was of immense proportions!Even Mars was stripped of it's waters.We were in the paths of the creators wrath!When Genesis says that the flood happened,We question where the waters came from.An old saying is,'where there is a will there is a way.

God's will revealed his way!

When Noah went through the flood,the wells from the earth sprang forth.The oceans sank to depths lower than mankind was prepared for.Our Almighty creator recreated the earth.Water came from sources that no-one was prepared for.He wanted to rid the earth of the genetic deviations that the fallen angels played with.Which is why God sent forth water from sources that mankind knew nothing of to rid the earth of the mangled mess that arose from the fallen angels meddling.The flood was of immense proportions!Even Mars was stripped of it's waters.We were in the paths of the creators wrath!When Genesis says that the flood happened,We question where the waters came from.An old saying is,'where there is a will there is a way.

God's will revealed his way!

Just google it, there's plenty of info available. But here's just a couple...

http://environment.a...irorefugees.htm

I checked out this source. The URL is to a book vendor. Not exactly top-quality science. BUT, their source is a paperback by Andrew Simms, published in 2003. He is making wild claims so he can sell some books!

See if you come come up with a scientific source. These popular-press items are good for starting rumors, but not for much else.

Doug