Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woodys Mystic Lounge

TheWatcher

YOU'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF JON!!!"Canadians" is the real thread about nothing. This is a mutiny. I'm msking this thread about something...

So anyone seen any good movies or read any good books lately.

Well I guess we now have two threads about nothing.... :D

And I'm still reading my Volume 2 of The Complete Sherlock Holmes !

Well I guess we now have two threads about nothing.... :D

And I'm still reading my Volume 2 of The Complete Sherlock Holmes !

I hugely recommend The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes; they are beautiful volumes but very, very heavy.

Incidentally, my husband is also from New York; he's from Rochester and also spent many years on Baffin Island

Edited by schizoidwoman

Has anyone read Manifest Dedtiny by Barry Longyear? It's the best science fiction I've read since the Dune series.

I hugely recommend The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes; they are beautiful volumes but very, very heavy.

I bought "The Complete Sherlock Holmes", Barnes and Noble's classics edition. These two books are only 8.00$ brand new on Amazon, an amazing buy. :yes:

d28a53a09da0b898cec06110.L.jpg

41AR-%2BpXRkL._SS500_.jpg

I just saw Dark Shadows. If you read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer, I saw the previews to the movie which comes out this summer. Looks pretty good.

Alas, I now must leave for work. Have a good day everyone!

Finished reading Severed by John Gilmore about the Black Dahlia case. Interesting book and I like the theory, but information seems to be conflicted about how accurate the book is on some things. Must brush up and investigate further.

Just started reading Blood On The Moon by James Ellroy (which was made as the film Cop starring the wonderful James Woods) and the Batman graphic novel Knightfall: Volume One (which is a backbreaking 630+ pages!).

This week I've watched Underworld: Awakening (which was pretty underwhelming on first viewing at least although I enjoyed the previous movies) and Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows, which was okay but I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as the first film. For all the Sherlock Holmes trappings it was at times about as serious as the Charlie's Angels films (which I enjoyed but the silliness felt a bit out of place here) and almost felt like a parody of Hollywood's tendencies to insert overblown action scenes into any given subject matter. Still, why didn't anyone tell me it had Stephen Fry in it? Oui, I know lots of people did - shouted it from the rooftops in fact. But why couldn't they have waited until I was actually paying attention? Humph! Not keen on Watson punching the gypsy. You can't just go around hitting people you know! Oui, I do it all the time, but that doesn't mean I tolerate such behaviour in others! Anyway, oui, it was okay.

Finished reading Severed by John Gilmore about the Black Dahlia case. Interesting book and I like the theory, but information seems to be conflicted about how accurate the book is on some things. Must brush up and investigate further.

Cool, I've read it 5 times, one of my favorite book. The problem with Severed is that it was released before we could have access to the DA's files on the case, therefore Gilmore could not have known that Elizabeth Short had "normal" genitalia and that the rumors about her having infantile genitalia were false, little details like that. But overall it's a great book. :yes:

• Like 1

Cool, I've read it 5 times, one of my favorite book. The problem with Severed is that it was released before we could have access to the DA's files on the case, therefore Gilmore could not have known that Elizabeth Short had "normal" genitalia and that the rumors about her having infantile genitalia were false, little details like that. But overall it's a great book. :yes:

Ah, merci for that :) That was one of the things where I noticed there seemed to be two contradictory opinions doing the rounds and I didn't know which one was true.

I'm from Pennsylvania which is pretty close to your neck of the woods. Finally stopped raining here after 2 days and nights I hope. Just checking the site before I gotta leave for work. Hope everyone has a great day.

I was born in Pennsylvania near Scranton. :tu:

How was Dark Shadows?

And I know Rochester well too. I was just there a few months ago for a swim meet.

One of the snowest places here in the US. I think its Rochester and Buffalo.

Places close to the Canadian borber. They get all that lake effect snow.

Edited by TheWatcher

YOU'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF JON!!!"Canadians" is the real thread about nothing. This is a mutiny. I'm msking this thread about something...

So anyone seen any good movies or read any good books lately.

You can try but I assure you we will keep bouncing back to nothing. Our previous thread has been going on for over 5 years and ..its still basiclly about nothing.

Your right..you can never have too many things about nothing...and I've been known to enjoy a good Sherlock Holmes mystery from time to time.

Its all in the details isnt it?

Edited by TheWatcher

Watch this. Manifest Destiny might be better known by the award novella within it called "Enemy Mine".

I'm from Connecticut, although a couple of you already knew that.

As for what I'm reading...Fifty Shades of Grey...the dirty novel about an inexperienced, virginal college girl, and a very experienced dominator, business man. I'm only on page 3.

Edited by Frecklestoo

Whats that about Kim Kardashian? :w00t:

Sex sells frecky..sex sells

Wait a minute!

I'm telling mom your reading erotic fiction again!

Edited by TheWatcher

I was born in Pennsylvania near Scranton. :tu:

How was Dark Shadows?

And I know Rochester well too. I was just there a few months ago for a swim meet.

One of the snowest places here in the US. I think its Rochester and Buffalo.

Places close to the Canadian borber. They get all that lake effect snow.

I live near Allentown on the PA?NJ border. Been to Scranton/Wilkes Barre a lot of times. My family used to go camping at Hickory Run. Still go up to Penns Peak near Leighton once in awhile.

I liked Dark Shadows. It wasn't anything like the show, but Depp did a good job portraying Barnabas. It wasn't campy like I thought it would be. There is quite a bit of comedy in it though. All in all, it was good. Worth seeing as most Burton/Depp films are.

Remember lake effect snow from the year I was up near Erie. No thanks, you can have it.

I am re-reading The Lady In The Tower about the fall of Anne Boleyn. Just finished Timeline by Michael Crichton. The one before that was a paranormal history of the White House that I put in a thread on the site.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

I am re-reading The Lady In The Tower about the fall of Anne Boleyn. Just finished Timeline by Michael Crichton. The one before that was a paranormal history of the White House that I put in a thread on the site.

The next book in my reading pile is The Lady in the Tower; I’m looking forward to it!

Oh ,Allentown...sure...I've been there many times myself. So we are Northeasterners...

Burton/Depp films do = intresting.

Im not reading a bloody thing right now! I have all I can do to read my mail :tu::w00t:

It nice here in the northeast today though.

I may even curl up with some good mail this evening. Kidding

The next book in my reading pile is The Lady in the Tower; I’m looking forward to it!

Lady in the Tower. That sounds spooky. I like spooky

Lady in the Tower. That sounds spooky. I like spooky

Na, it's not scary, it's only a woman in a tower, watching other people and b****ing about them, how they look, etc. The entire book is like that, 500 pages of b****ing.

:P

Na, it's not scary, it's only a woman in a tower, watching other people and b****ing about them, how they look, etc. The entire book is like that, 500 pages of b****ing.

:P

Sounds fairly entertaining!

hello :)007-Squirtle-icon.png

Lo there!

Sounds fairly entertaining!

It is !! The best part is when the lady in the Tower is upset because she see a woman who's wearing the exact same thing she's wearing, I mean it's Hi-la-ri-ous, it goes on for 3 chapters.

where's me washboard

where's me washboard

With the others...out back...near the box of spoons.

I saw it there when we landed. So if no one has moved it...you should find it easy.

I look to the night...to the distant stars.

I sense another from my other deminsion will arrive soon...

Hopefully more will follow.

For if for nothing else but the shear beauty of being in a world with the lollipop princess.

I welcome you.

I welcome all the travelers.

Washboards for everyone!

Edited by TheWatcher