Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia could join U.S. in manned Mars mission

Waspie_Dwarf

Russia could join U.S. in Mars mission

Russia would be willing to be a partner with the United States on a manned mission to Mars, a Russian space official said at the United Nations.

At U.N. headquarters to mark the International Day of Human Space Flight, Sergey Saveliev, deputy head of Russian space agency Roscosmos, said only international cooperation could make such a mission possible.

"I have to say that currently there is no country that could organize a manned spaceflight to Mars and a safe return," Saveliev said.

"We strongly believe that this project can be accomplished only through international cooperation," he said. "In this field, Russia is ready to cooperate with the United States, with Europe and with other countries."

arrow3.gifRead more...

I really dont care who gets to Mars first, as long as they do it in my lifetime. :)

OMG! It's humanity finally waking up? Please let it be so! Instead of killing each other we should work together. I hope that mission becomes reality in my lifetime too.

This is great news!

Makes sense and cost effective. Prolong it any more and the Chinese will get there first.

Why does everyone overestimate the Chinese abilities this much?

They don't yet have a launcher capable of launching something the size of a Russian ISS module, and won't have until around 2020, let alone a manned spacecraft to Mars. They have only flown 3 manned missions since the first in 2005 and none since September 2008. Although they have sent 2 unmanned probes to orbit the moon they have not yet attempted a lander and they have yet to send an unmanned probe to another planet.

The Chinese haven't even reached the starting blocks of this space race.

• Like 1

blah blah blah less talk more action weve had nothing but 50 years of talk

That would be interesting if it actually happens.

Well its a start ! Im all In ,In my life time too Hazzard ! We really need to boost our collective efforts on all Space exploration !

They don't yet have a launcher capable of launching something the size of a Russian ISS module, and won't have until around 2020, let alone a manned spacecraft to Mars. They have only flown 3 manned missions since the first in 2005 and none since September 2008. Although they have sent 2 unmanned probes to orbit the moon they have not yet attempted a lander and they have yet to send an unmanned probe to another planet.

The Chinese haven't even reached the starting blocks of this space race.

Bit like during the cold war that everyone thought that Russia was so much more advanced. Turn out they were quite basic and years behind.

Bit like during the cold war that everyone thought that Russia was so much more advanced. Turn out they were quite basic and years behind.

Well yes and no.

At times it during the Cold War it was worth exaggerating the Soviet capabilities (you tended to get your budget approved that way) and certainly in some areas (like electronics) they lagged behind the US, but they were very good at making do with what they had. After the space race was won the reverse became true and it became more fashionable to down play their capabilities. The truth lies somewhere in between.

The reasons the USSR lost the race to the moon are actually very similar to the reasons the US lost the race to put the first satellite in orbit and have less to do with technical capabilities and more to do with internal divisions (between Army and Navy missile programs in the US case and between design bureaus in the USSR). These issues are complex and would take this thread even more off topic (not to mention the fact that I would have to do a lot of research to refresh my memory of the details), but it is safe to say that there was more of a race between the US and the USSR than there is between the US and China.

The real space race today is a regional one between Asian nations. In the race are China, Japan & India, with South Korea about to join. It's this race China wants to win.

Because Americans are made to feel that China is the next boogie man, taking the place of Russia.

Back on topic; I wonder if the centrifuge style ships featured in 2010 a second odyssey will be designed to minimize the negative effects of zero G?

leonov.jpg

blah blah blah less talk more action weve had nothing but 50 years of talk

I agree reggie,there is so much hot air blowing through the worlds space agencies,i seriously doubt wether man will set foot on mars in the next century at this rate.

We shall go to the Stars someday ! Its the Someday thats the question !

In my mind, the physical logistics and costs of a manned surface mission to Mars is beyond comparison to even 20 Iraqi wars.

For example, I would assume a 3-5 crew. The food and water alone for a 2 year( or however many months) round trip journey would be enormous.

Even more, getting the astronauts(probably just 2) back off of Mars and into Mars orbit to couple with the orbiting return ship would require a substantial launch capability. It's not like they're launching off the moon.

What, are we going to drag along a 700 thousand ton re-launch facility/rocket on our way to Mars?

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Edited by pallidin