Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lost spacecraft found on the moon

Keel M.

A spacecraft launched in the 1960s is thought to have been found on the dark side of the moon.

NASA scientists have found the crash site, pictured above, of a spacecraft set into orbit during the early 60s. This one–thankfully–is not crawling with Decepticons. They believe it is the missing Lunar Orbiter 2 which disappeared back in 1967 during a passage over the far side of the moon, when the craft went out of telescope and radio range.

arrow3.gifRead more...

And NASA have only just managed to possibly photograph this?!

Stinks!!!!

And NASA have only just managed to possibly photograph this?!

Stinks!!!!

As LRO is the first spacecraft with a high enough resolution camera to photograph objects this small ever sent to the moon would you care to explain to the rest of us how they were supposed to have achieved it before?

• Like 1

All the talk about the crashed probe, but WHY did it crashed just like that? No one is saying anything about why? Strange that probe actualy makes 800 photos and then crashes out of a sudden ( i am certanitly not implying aliens nor decepticons ).

All the talk about the crashed probe, but WHY did it crashed just like that? No one is saying anything about why? Strange that probe actualy makes 800 photos and then crashes out of a sudden ( i am certanitly not implying aliens nor decepticons ).

It states in the article that it was intentionally crashed.

It states in the article that it was intentionally crashed.

Exactly.

All five Lunar Orbiters were crashed into the moon so that they could not present a potential threat to the Apollo missions.

I would point out that this story is old news. The article linked to in the original post is from 8th August 2011, although that does not prevent it being interesting. Curiously it appears not to have been reported on UM at the time. Better late than never.

Since this discovery LRO has taken ever increasingly detailed images of the Apollo landing sites and some of the Russian unmanned probes landing sites. Many of those images can be found in UM's Space Exploration image gallery.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
added more imformation. 2nd edit for typo
  • Like 1

Sure it was lost? Conspiracy theories!

• Like 1

"Lost spacecraft found on the moon"

Unfortunately it's one of 'ours'.

Ahaa i see thanks wasp and raft didn't read it fully my bad! :whistle:

Look long enough with bright enough minds and eyes and we shall See !

Great post Waspie !

And orig. poster ! Sorry bout that I thought Waspie posted that first. Offeirland.

Edited by DONTEATUS

How is it lost if it was crashed intentionally?

Edited by S I N
  • Like 1

How is it lost if it was crashed intentionally?

Because the actual location of the impact was unknown.

Transformers 3 anyone?? Humor me lol