Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Colorado appeals court declares Day of Prayer

Karlis

Colorado appeals court declares Day of Prayer unconstitutional

The state appeals court made the ruling Thursday on the proclamations by former Govs. Bill Ritter, a Democrat, and Bill Owens, a Republican, saying they violate the Constitution's provisions for religious liberty.

The three-judge panel ruled unanimously that such a state-sponsored proclamation sends a message that those who pray are favored members of Colorado's political community.

Coloradans can be so proud of their progressive, enlightened nature. I guess they showed God a thing or two!

Nobody is stopping anybody from praying on a certain day, it is just that the government should and cannot ordain a prayer day. That is the point.

• Like 1

Nobody is stopping anybody from praying on a certain day, it is just that the government should and cannot ordain a prayer day. That is the point.

Believe it or not, Q, I understood that small point. In the US we have many times assigned such days. The difference is that we have become too progressive and enlightened to allow "simple minded" people of faith to find comfort in public worship. In the grand scheme in won't matter much. The US has far worse issues to concern ourselves with. And I believe that part of the reason for that is due to actions like these taken in Colorado. JMO and apparently that's not worth much, or so I'm told.

Why is it that american christians are so bloody insecure in their religion that they require the secular state governments to help them out?

I thought we are supposed to render to Caesar what is his, and to God what is his?

Why does a religion based upon faith in heaven and such, require the backing of government?

Are they saying that religion cannot stand without government?

Why is it that american christians are so bloody insecure in their religion that they require the secular state governments to help them out?

I thought we are supposed to render to Caesar what is his, and to God what is his?

Why does a religion based upon faith in heaven and such, require the backing of government?

Are they saying that religion cannot stand without government?

I don't think that's what they are saying at all. It's when the government becomes actively involved in pushing away all religious tradition that the country was founded on that it becomes an issue for Christians. But you're right BR, the government is TOTALLY irrelevant in the big picture. In fact it's fading fast. Christianity on the other hand will outlast us all. Ancient Rome took it on.... see how it worked out for them?

Well, if we consider the words and sentiments of politicians like Santorum, and there are plenty just like him, then our society and its government simply cannot survive without secular laws that support religious exercises, be they 'days of prayers' or other pro-religious policies and laws.

And those religious leaders (there are exceptions, but they are few) who cry and complain that government neutrality on religious policy will bring disaster, they fill the airways and television with their weeping and gnashing of teeth.

To me, that demonstrates some sort of bizarre lack on confidence in their religion's ability to survive on its own. It strongly suggests that, HELP, religion simply MUST have state assistance to continue.

Believe it or not, Q, I understood that small point. In the US we have many times assigned such days. The difference is that we have become too progressive and enlightened to allow "simple minded" people of faith to find comfort in public worship. In the grand scheme in won't matter much. The US has far worse issues to concern ourselves with. And I believe that part of the reason for that is due to actions like these taken in Colorado. JMO and apparently that's not worth much, or so I'm told.

You guys always say that you want the government out of your affairs, but funnily you seem to cheer and applaud government intervention when it benefits your ideology. A little more consistency would help us all.

• Like 1

Just because your nation was founded by Christianss doesn't mean you're meant to be, or are now, a Christian nation. A governemnt is meant to act in favour of all people, not just the majority. So unless the Lord's Prayer was to be followed in the order of caled upon prayer by something like the Metta Karuna or Salah then it's not being inclusive.

I thought churches were there for days of prayer. You chat reminds me of Rumsfeld who would pray all day and then acted differently. (I'm not comparing you to rumsfeld that would really be rude)