Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New expedition to find Tasmanian Tiger

Yowie

Sorry for the spelling and typos...shouldnt be on these forums at work I suppose.

In terms of the the CSIRO rumour that was supposedly something that was a 'now' project not a past project.

The rabbit one was from 1919 apparently and arent meant to be related.

The reason I'm skeptical about the current CSIRO project is I know people are not very good at keeping secrets. There are some links out on the web about.

My stories talking to Tasmanians about the tiger come from my round Tasmanian camping expedition that I conducted in 2009. I was there for camping and a extended family holiday but had an opportunity to talk to a fair few locals.

None of them had personally sighted a tiger but the all seemed to know someone who had. These were the born and bred ;) tasmanians.

One day I'd like to go on expedition just for the fun of it and say I have done something a little different, not for any real expectation or hope of finding anything.

Tigers in New Zealand? Surely they would have taken the first plane back to Bondi?

Murray McAllister has exclussive footage of a recent sighting of the Tasmanian Tiger (April 2009). This is 8 seconds from almost 9 minutes of footage:

Does that qualify as a thylacine sighting?

that video is so fuzzy it could be a talking waffle for all we know

Edited by Panda124

I'm pretty sure it turned out to be assessed as a red fox.

The walking style was assessed by experts to be that of a fox, and I think they had some DNA analysed. whilst I'd love it to be a tiger, it could well be a waffle, albeit a walking waffle.

yeah that one was laughable....from the film the hunter....i dont know how the youtube poster thought they would get away with that one. plus its obviously CGI, even in the movie.

From the film, The Hunter (2011). Sorry.

Just wondering (never saw the flick)... Thought it looked too good...

Hi all

I saw this interview on the Australian Today Show this morning. Australian investigator Murray McAllister has planned another expedition in October to investigate some areas in Tasmania where there are some promising sightings of the Thylacine. He claims around 20 personal sightings of the animal since his investigations began in 1998.

The interview can be found on the following link

http://today.ninemsn...videoindex.aspx

For those not familiar with modern sightings here in Australia, sightings have not been limited to just Tasmania with claims from Victoria, New South Wales, and right up to the rainforests of North Queensland. Fossil evidence shows the Thylacine did once populate the mainland and there are even Aboriginal cave paintings in the Northern Territory that depict the animal.

Thylacine_rock_art.jpg

It was believed that Aboriginal hunting pressure and competition with the Dingo caused its presumed mainland extinction around 3500 years ago. There is some opposition to this theory as the Thylacine (Tasmanian population) was larger than the Dingo and assumed to have not suffered in competition with the dog. Interestingly though, fossil evidence of mainland specimens show a much smaller animal with some Thylacine females measuring approximately the same size as a fox.

Interesting read, thanks for sharing the details.

There's some land in Tasmania that hasn't been touched by man yet, could be some there.

Hi all

I saw this interview on the Australian Today Show this morning. Australian investigator Murray McAllister has planned another expedition in October to investigate some areas in Tasmania where there are some promising sightings of the Thylacine. He claims around 20 personal sightings of the animal since his investigations began in 1998.

The interview can be found on the following link

http://today.ninemsn...videoindex.aspx

For those not familiar with modern sightings here in Australia, sightings have not been limited to just Tasmania with claims from Victoria, New South Wales, and right up to the rainforests of North Queensland. Fossil evidence shows the Thylacine did once populate the mainland and there are even Aboriginal cave paintings in the Northern Territory that depict the animal.

Thylacine_rock_art.jpg

It was believed that Aboriginal hunting pressure and competition with the Dingo caused its presumed mainland extinction around 3500 years ago. There is some opposition to this theory as the Thylacine (Tasmanian population) was larger than the Dingo and assumed to have not suffered in competition with the dog. Interestingly though, fossil evidence of mainland specimens show a much smaller animal with some Thylacine females measuring approximately the same size as a fox.

Yeah havent they been extinct for a looong time now

From the film, The Hunter (2011). Sorry.

Excellent. I had thought that video was bogus when I saw it online, but did not know where it had come from.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this?

they were all eaten by were-tigers.

they were all eaten by were-tigers.

And giant hyraxes, of course.

The searchers are probably being treated for hypothermia.

And giant hyraxes, of course.

please, we both know that's just silly. The last of the Australian Hyraxes were killed off in the shadow wars of the 30s by that crack band of trained kangaroobots.

This search will almost certainly prove as fruitless as all of the others. It would be great if they were to find one, however.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have recently been studying about this strange creature... really mystifying!

Some sites have mentioned that these animals vanished longtime back from mainland Australia even before colonization and it was not before late 18th century that it was sighted for the first time. However, the last specimen (Benjamin) dates back to 1933:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine

http://www.extinctanimals.org/thylacine-tasmanian-tiger.htm

http://messybeast.com/extinct/thylacine.htm

But, to my surprise, I read somewhere very recently that, this animal has again been spotted and the news seems to be very convincing!

This is good, if true, but really confusing! Can anyone throw some light about the authenticity of this sighting pls?

• Like 1

They'll never find him now! The sly ol' cat is hiding behind a Yowie!