Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Richmond VA 2012

Not sure how easy this would actually be to fake because there is a lot of camera movement. Shame that the up loader does not give a short testimony or a context,

Whoa! I'm from Richmond. I'll have to ask my family about this. Off to facebook I go. Will return with results.

• Like 1

Slowest UFO that I've ever seen. It barely moved in the video.

Slowest UFO that I've ever seen. It barely moved in the video.

One possibility that came to mind was balloons but they look too bright; I like Dosojin's suggestion; check out locally to see if it was witnessed.

Some wag on youtube is claiming it's a hoax because the lights move with the camera; however he forgot to spot that the buildings do too!

In trying to research it I came across this one in Taiwan which is very similar; the location would suggest balloons (Chinese) but the way they fade in and out are so clustered I'm not sure.

Edited by zoser

i love chinese lanterns :yes:

Reflection of lights in the background behind the cameraman. He appears to be filming thorough a window and this would also explain why the lights are not moving. I've often freaked myself out glancing out the window and seeing lights like this before realising it's just the reflection from a lamp or something. :unsure2:

Edit: Holy crap I joined here 4 years ago and that was the first time I posted! :blush:

Edited by 23skidoo
  • Like 1

I asked around & none of my family in Richmond, which is a lot, has heard of this. They all think the same as me, that it's reflections off of a window. That's Richmond's highly populated downtown area. If there was a UFO this prominent in the sky, there would definitely have witnesses & no one has made a peep about this. Sorry to disappoint zoser.

Zoser, kinda freaky how in both vids the ufo are the same shape! They do resemble Chinese lanterns.

Zoser, kinda freaky how in both vids the ufo are the same shape! They do resemble Chinese lanterns.

That's 3 possible explanations offered; who is correct?

Reflection of lights in the background behind the cameraman. He appears to be filming thorough a window and this would also explain why the lights are not moving. I've often freaked myself out glancing out the window and seeing lights like this before realising it's just the reflection from a lamp or something. :unsure2:

Edit: Holy crap I joined here 4 years ago and that was the first time I posted! :blush:

That was my thoughts exactly. You took the words right outta my mouth! Nice job!

I'm in Richmond now, never heard any stories of UFO sightings. I know that a month or so ago people were getting all freaked out over lights they saw in the sky but they were rockets being launched by NASA down near Chesapeake somewhere. Again, going with what Dosojin has said, people surely would have seen this.

I'm in Richmond now, never heard any stories of UFO sightings. I know that a month or so ago people were getting all freaked out over lights they saw in the sky but they were rockets being launched by NASA down near Chesapeake somewhere. Again, going with what Dosojin has said, people surely would have seen this.

Yeah, this was explained already my dear friend! The videographer was simply filming from behind glass and the lights that are seen are reflections. This is a very obvious hoax. :tu:

Strangely enough, this happened 2 years ago in the same spot if I am not mistaken, I am pretty sure that was identified as wish lanterns from a local wedding. It seems rather possible that we have a repeat performance.

Edited by psyche101

i'd go with the reflection therory....those chinese lanterns seem to be responsible for half of all UFO sightings nowadays, but they're not THAT bright. You can see them very well in the dark, but in broad day light, you could not see them glow like that!

• Like 1

One thing I'd like to point out, if anyone ever has a genuine UFO sighting that they have filmed through a window, TURN THE CAMERA AROUND! The amount of times the sighting is negated because it could plausibly be something behind the camera operator is so frustrating. Just think Right Said Fred and do a little turn on that catwwalk...or in your living room...or wherever you happen to be filming.... :tu:

• Like 3

One thing I'd like to point out, if anyone ever has a genuine UFO sighting that they have filmed through a window, TURN THE CAMERA AROUND! The amount of times the sighting is negated because it could plausibly be something behind the camera operator is so frustrating. Just think Right Said Fred and do a little turn on that catwwalk...or in your living room...or wherever you happen to be filming.... :tu:

lol True enough and sound advice. Welcome to UM btw! :D

yup those r chinese lanterns. im very much an expert on making those things and watching in awe as others beleive it to be something else from a quarter mile away teh heh

I guess if you've never seen a UFO that defies scientific explanation, you might be inclined to discount everything as a hoax or a misidentification. However, many eyewitnesses come forward to try to share their observations, and are met with the doubt that the media has conditioned us to. There is a conspiracy of silence on the subject. I would just like to ask you to consider that if this was a real phenomena, would you feel you have the right to know? Do you feel like you could handle that information?

Yeah most people are right here, WINDOW REFLECTION FAKE

"If the lights were actually in the sky they wouldn't move with the camera, they would stay stabilized with the horizon and sky but they don't. This means the objects are reflections on a glass in front of the camera. Whoever filmed this video had to know it was just reflections on the glass, so I'm sure this video is a hoax."

Edited by AlienDan

Today May 23, 2012 at exactly 11:00pm in richmond va I saw what appeared to be a helicopter light moving in my direction from where I was standing in front of my girlfriends house, I was smoking a ciggerette and the lught I saw did kind of a slow U-turn and dissappeared slowly into space. Wish I could of got a video cam shot on my phone but the moment had me stuck. First time I ever seen anything like it, its different from seeing it on tv, and tru ass t me call me crazy, it wasnt a shooting star I see those on a regular to tell the difference.

Sorry for the misspelling, I meant to say "trust me" lol still shocked over my first ufo sighting : )

Sorry for the misspelling, I meant to say "trust me" lol still shocked over my first ufo sighting : )

Interesting; could it have been Chinese Lanterns or was it definitely something unexplainable?

I am with 23skidoo, I immediately thought the cameraman was filming behind a window. If you look to the right of the lights, you can kind of see a reflection of something crescent shaped - I think it's a window reflection.