Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Beast of Bont' returns as 20 sheep found

Still Waters

Fears a savage big cat could be roaming across a remote mountain range have been reignited after 20 sheep were found “massacred” in their fields.

The mutilated carcasses were torn to shreds and scattered across moorland near to the Devil's Bridge in the Cambrian Mountains near Aberystwyth, west Wales.

The area has long been linked to the so-called “Beast of Bont”, a big cat believed by some to have been on the loose for decades.

Locals have reported sighting of an unknown creature since the 1970s, and now fear the predator could have struck again.

Mark Davey, 43, discovered the latest "sickening" scene and insists the attacker could not have been a fox or a dog.

He said: "The whole area just stank of dead animals and was quite sickening. I could see that the inside of the animals had been ripped out and body parts were lying all around.

http://www.telegraph...-massacred.html

Wild dogs, or domestic for that matter do far more damage to a group of livestock than one single big cat can. Dogs do not necessarily kill for food alone. They will kill just to kill. They will often kill numerous animals at a time and either consume only the easily accesible parts or not consume anything at all. Usually, and I say usually because there are always exceptions, but usually a big cat will kill one animal at a time and consume that animal as a whole. If it is too much for that cat to eat at one sitting they will usually take their kill to an isolated location and hide it for later consumption.

Mike

Guest Coffin It Up

I have always been skeptical about big cats in Britain. I mean its possible a few lone ones could exist (in the 70s and 80s circuses did in fact dump their big cats when they got too hard to manage) but I don't think that they could do that kind of damage. I mean usually a big cat will kill one animal and live off it for a few days, even weeks. They don't just go and kill loads of sheep all at once. They kill one and in a few days or weeks come back for another. For these many animals all to be killed at once I would say that it has to be a pack of animals, like wolves. Which don't exist in Wales, so it must be dogs. Or some sick individual humans.

Seems no different, than any dog attacks Ive seen myself. When get together and get all excited theyll try to kill all they see, the last one I saw the aftermath of at my neigbours had most of the flock of rams survive although all had severe wounds. The worst ram had the muscle striped of the back legs that the bones were exposed, his tail eaten off and bites all over the body. People are just too quick to jump to the extraordinary.

Hmm.. I wonder if they took samples of saliva in the wounds... If they could find some that should tell them if

it's a pack of dogs, a big cat - or rabid pteradactyl ( :) )... If no saliva is found - then it could point to humans...

Is it just me or does this sound similar to the post about a big cat eating a horse?

Good idea as that cat seemed to have one heck of a killing spree too.

Post it.

I am from Wales and grew up in a village surrounded by mountains. We were always told stories of the big black cat that lurked around, there were several local newspaper reports with photos and once when I thought I actually saw it! I was up the mountain with friends playing in the woods...we had been there all day and had gone pretty deep, deeper than we usually go when we heard something walking in the distance, we could hear branches snaping and looked in the direction of where the sound was coming from and through the gap in the trees a big black cat walked out and stopped right in our path! It turned its head and looked at us and then darted off in a flash! We were all stunned by what we saw...to this day I still don't know if it was the famous big black cat or just my young imagination playing tricks on me.

Edited by burt_ie
  • Like 2

I was never a believer of big cats in the UK until my friends witnessed one in Surrey.

Then a few years back I had an experience in Sussex, where my partner and I along with our dogs were stalked of several minutes. I am pretty convinced now there is something else other than dogs and foxes involved.

• Like 1

I have always been skeptical about big cats in Britain. I mean its possible a few lone ones could exist (in the 70s and 80s circuses did in fact dump their big cats when they got too hard to manage) but I don't think that they could do that kind of damage. I mean usually a big cat will kill one animal and live off it for a few days, even weeks. They don't just go and kill loads of sheep all at once. They kill one and in a few days or weeks come back for another. For these many animals all to be killed at once I would say that it has to be a pack of animals, like wolves. Which don't exist in Wales, so it must be dogs. Or some sick individual humans.

Was a lot more released than just from circuses when the Dangerous Animals act came in to law in 1976.You could buy wild cats in places like Harrods before but when the act was introduced people couldn't be bothered to apply for the license needed to own one so released them into the wild.Plus people didn't realize how expensive they were and would also release them.Its extremely possible that they are now established in Britain but in small numbers.

• Like 1

Where are the pictures? That sounds like a pretty gruesome crime scene, if you ask me. But, without pic's it is just a story. If the picture at the top is one of them, where is the blood? Has anyone mentioned that? Interesting case, if nothing else.

Where are the pictures? That sounds like a pretty gruesome crime scene, if you ask me. But, without pic's it is just a story. If the picture at the top is one of them, where is the blood? Has anyone mentioned that? Interesting case, if nothing else.

Please read the Article, there is a picture on the Telegraph website.

Youd be suprised how little blood there can be on such scenes, plus the fleece on the carcass appears wet so it may have rained which would have washed excess blood into the ground.

i cant see a big cat killing so many sheep as that the farmer didn't miss them as they went missing over time,

a cat will kill to feed - but not 20 in one time. smells more like a dog or dogs to me

I believe this is act of human.

unlike human , animals are smarter , if they kill for food , they won't over kill .

Edited by kobolds

Killing a whole bunch of sheep is something a pack of wild dogs would do, not a lone big cat. That is not how they hunt. A big cat would grab one sheep and carry it off to eat unmolested somewhere.

everyone knows" wild animals don't overkill recklessly" because that would leave them without a food source 1 thing is for sure

whatever is killing them "it isn't a wild animal like a cat" plus cats drag food into bushes or up trees as to save kill from scavengers you will notice even a domestic cat dose this also its ingrained in the primorldal brain

I agree sounds more like a pack of wild dogs.

everyone knows" wild animals don't overkill recklessly" because that would leave them without a food source 1 thing is for sure

whatever is killing them "it isn't a wild animal like a cat" plus cats drag food into bushes or up trees as to save kill from scavengers you will notice even a domestic cat dose this also its ingrained in the primorldal brain

I agree thats true whatever killed those sheep was doing it for the enjoyment of it it would seem, and I dont know of any animals that kill for the enjoyment of the act thats a human trait.

I agree sounds more like a pack of wild dogs.

Probably not 'wild' dogs - pet dogs out on a toot are the ones that get carried away.