Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Easter Island archaeology project digs

Talion

Ha, the site "the Easter Island Statue Project" is

currently unavailable

Think Fox news would check there source better for broken links.

Ah, the link is up and working now.

easter_island_underworld_2.jpg
  • Like 1

interesting. i have always had a fascination with the statues but never really did any research on it. i didn't know this was old news so i have a question. how long has this information been public?

interesting. i have always had a fascination with the statues but never really did any research on it. i didn't know this was old news so i have a question. how long has this information been public?

All I can say is that I read about it (with photos) almost 40 years ago.

• Like 1

This is old news

This is old news

Yeah, and I remember now it was no one else but Thor Heyerdahl who started digging up these statues. And that was in the 50's and 60's of the past century.

This is an interesting online book about every possible proposed idea about the how, why, who, and when of the statues (and some ar far out ideas...). And as one can read and see, there's more than just the statues.

Easter Island: land of mystery - David Pratt

Natural disasters – earthquakes and tsunamis – may have contributed to the damage suffered by the platforms and statues. On 22 May 1960, for instance, an 8-metre-high tidal wave, produced by an earthquake off Chile,struck the island and entirely destroyed the remains of Ahu Tongariki. Huge stone blocks and 15 statues withan average weight of more than 40 tons were carried over 150 metres inland.

=

Figures with hands resting on their stomach are common in the Marquesas and elsewhere in Polynesia, and also in South America. In the traditional Maori carving of New Zealand, the hands were placed there to protect ritual knowledge and oral traditions, which were believed to be carried in the belly.

=

Rano Raraku contains numerous now empty niches where statues have been hacked out, as well as 397 figures visible on the outer and inner slopes illustrating every phase of the carving process. As a result of rubble and silt being washed down the slope, the statues set up at the foot of the quarry now stand so deep in the earth that no one has succeeded in pulling them down. Large areas of the quarry are in fact hidden under slope deposits, and many more moai undoubtedly remain to be discovered.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55956786/Easter-Island

this site just hit an all time low its such a shame we have unknowlagable people running it,all the news is old news and so little of it if anyone would like up to date stuff just type in "weird news" and such into ur browser lets all dump this site its not maintained proply all the news is ancient,maybe then we'll get there attention and possibly some more advanced employees

It's spelled THEIR (attention) Not There . You do understand that this topic and all others are posted by members? I don't understand why your blaming "Employees" for "old news".

I'd say, let's get all over the fact that the statues having bodies is ancient news, and focus on Easter Island itself.

The book I linked to is an interesting start for those who know near to nothing about the island and its history, even though it contains some fringe ideas.

I like a mystery boiler with a dash of the unknown ......... that's why I stick around .... and yes ... you guys and gals are a riot :tu:

I've known about the bodies for a while but that is the first time I have seen one with a thong on. It adds a level of detail that is not always apparent on the eroded part.

Edited by Pastymancer

Figures with hands resting on their stomach are common in the Marquesas and elsewhere in Polynesia, and also in South America. In the traditional Maori carving of New Zealand, the hands were placed there to protect ritual knowledge and oral traditions, which were believed to be carried in the belly.

Same as in other parts of Asia and Turkey (Gobekli tepe). It seems that was very wide phenomenan. Also for me it looks like they are just notice being naked and hide important parts.

Genesis 3:7

At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness...

Art usually express emotion. And from Bible we know that first "re born" emotion of humans was shame.

Maybe we have sculptures around the world expressing "shame of our body" because it was realy first emotion awaken man felt. As bible said.

I wonder who would be a shamed of his/her body unless you are spiritual/another plane being?...

Edited by the L

At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness...

Art usually express emotion. And from Bible we know that first "re born" emotion of humans was shame.

Maybe we have sculptures around the world expressing "shame of our body" because it was realy first emotion awaken man felt. As bible said.

I wonder who would be a shamed of his/her body unless you are spiritual/another plane being?...

Hi the L;

My 1st thought about the Moais stance and hand placement was that it was meant to be intimidating. in body language that stance and hand placement is regarded as being dominant. But then I wondered who would they be guarding against? They are in the middle of no where and seem too remote to be concerned with raiding parties.

I like the idea Abe put forward of the belly being the seat of ancient wisdom, maybe its just the fact that the statues are sculpted naked and are male that leads to the willy/hands connection.

It's spelled THEIR (attention) Not There . You do understand that this topic and all others are posted by members? I don't understand why your blaming "Employees" for "old news".

LOL @ me. It's spelled YOU'RE (you are)... Not your.

Does anyone know the origins of the long ears and short ears? They were two distinct groups with different ancestry weren't they?

Edited by lightly

Same as in other parts of Asia and Turkey (Gobekli tepe). It seems that was very wide phenomenan. Also for me it looks like they are just notice being naked and hide important parts.

Reading your post I got an idea what those rows of statues actually symbolize....

Look at this:

moai.jpg

And then have a look at this:

Moai.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

We share a common ancestor with chimps, who have no shame over nakedness. So I wouldn't use the bible to claim shame as first 'emotion'. Animals mourn etc

Shame and covering in depiction is not mutually exclusive, so to jump to other plane beings is a leap when explanations for the depiction is amply provided by links.in this thread.

Old news is new news if you haven't heard it.

Hello all!

For a start, I've been to Rapa Nui twice, and have been so interested in these damn things!

The Moi you see in the picture has been exposed to elements for ages (piccies to prove)! It seems mad that this is news!

I was there 5 months ago and nothing had really changed. however, the Moi in question is within the volcano crater, which to be honsest is great. Poses the question on how they pulled out the 'tonnage' before rolling it accross the island..... (ahem...).

(yes, rollin several 70 tons up a volcano is rite easy)

These things are awsome, and so buried that it just needs be accepted that only a third of their bodies stick out within and around the quarry and have as such sank int the soft soil!

Bloody press!

Guys and Girls, book your Lan Flight over and check for yourslelves!

Vivaaa!!

wow. why didn't i know this earlier? a little research goes a long way i guess

Edited by Xanthurion2

• 2 weeks later...

Chariots of the Gods documentary made in 1970 not only mentions this but shows their bodies on one or two of them as well. Common knowledge indeed.

This is the non-story of the 21st century... it has been known for DECADES that the Easter Island statues have buried bodies. What's next, is somebody going to prove that reed ships can cross the Atlantic ocean?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the non-story of the 21st century... it has been known for DECADES that the Easter Island statues have buried bodies. What's next, is somebody going to prove that reed ships can cross the Atlantic ocean?

WHAAAAT? Reed boats?

Crossing the ocean?

What kind of witchcraft are you pedaling!

• 2 years later...

Its Pictionary, simple Pictionary..A ring of men carved from volcano with scoria lava hats,EVEN children get the answer.VOLCANO MEN, its volcanologists.A ring of 1000 volcano statues in a ring, some dormant some active with lava hats and some in process of creation sitting within a ring of 1000 real volcanoes, some dormant, some active and some always in process of creation..The ENTIRE island is a living rebus of the real ring of fire it sits within...MADE by volcanologists.....thats why they added the faces....add faces to the real ring of fire volcanoes and the 2 rings would be twins....its EASY Pictionary , only real ...They WERE NASA b4 NASA was ever born! SCIENTISTS...YOU ALL KNOW how to look at Pictionary...NOT the hieroglyphs the giant stone sites...Easter Island TALKS in visual communication, by virtue the statues are carved from actual volcano crater and the hats are not hats but lava it SAYS "Ring of 1000 volcanoes" which matches ONLY one phenomenon on earth...The Pacific Ring of Fire...and its created right in the middle OF the Pacific Ring of Fire....! Its Pictionary, Graffiti, Win Lose or Draw ! They are all messages written across earth ! Man are you guys going to freak out when you realise...PS IF you understand in time? The actual INSTRUCTIONS of how to cool earth are written across earth in GIANT stone! ITS EASY...man are you guys going to smack yourselves silly when you realise its true.....it was right in front of you..Even if youbelieve it to be something else it DOES SOLVE, not theory or guess, AS visual communication..it READS.....literally by fact that they ARE volcanic statues with lava hats it SAYS "Ring of 1000+- Volcanoes" and it sits within a ring of 1000+- volcanoes.Its visual volcanology!