Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horses can recognise humans by their voices

Still Waters

Horses can recognise the sound of their owner's voice - and the voices of other people.

A new University of Sussex study published today shows that domestic horses use a sophisticated cognitive system to identify individuals of species other than their own.

A previous study by the university demonstrated that horses have the ability to combine auditory and visual information to recognise each other.

But in the latest study, published by the Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Drs Leanne Proops and Karen McComb have been able to show that horses also employ this system for distinguishing between the different humans they know.

http://www.dailymail...ans-voices.html

Everybody who has anything to do with horses knows this already!

• Like 1

Everybody who has anything to do with horses knows this already!

Exactly what I was going to say. My mare won't stop doing whatever she's doing when anyone other than myself calls her. You can see her ears flicking so you know she hears you, but she'll ignore you. As soon as I call her name, up comes her head, she looks over and finds me, and starts walking over. Comes in very handy when she's at the far end of the pasture - I just have to call loud enough for her to hear and she'll come to me! :)

What's so unusual about this?

I thought this was one of the methods animals like horses use to recognize their humans as well as others.

• 1 year later...

Horse are very like domestic dogs in that they rely on and then trust their owners. Most of the horses in our stables are hard to "catch", but their owners have no trouble attaching a head collar, their horses just trot over and wait for it.Of course, their owners have the time to give the extra bit of care and grooming (there are large areas of their bodies they find hard to reach, so brushing and scratching is welcome), and food treats. But most of it is possibly just the time and attention.

Edited by alibongo

Cats can do it, dogs can do it, horses can do it ...

im willing to bet every animal does this

Our old dog was able to do it no problem.. Not only that, but with all the cars coming back and forth into the street, he could tell which car was ours driving up to the house..

Birds can do it, Bees can do it....even educated fleas can do it.. lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2